IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Palm Robber - Dypsis cutting / replant?

byuind

I’m at a hotel in Orlando and I had this little thought that maybe one of these young suckers here at the bottom of this palm can be replanted or separated some how?

I think it’s a Dypsis of some kind (feel free to correct me if not) and I’d love to snatch a shoot and replant for the drive home on Sunday!

8022F95D-8A1A-4D84-B938-73A4534E5001.jpeg

7BC8B24B-1160-455D-AF2F-FA13C98CF2EC.jpeg

@byuind Looks like (Dypsis) Chrysalidocarpus lutescens.  If you are in Orlando, you'd probably be better served to stop by a garden center and get a larger one.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@byuind Looks like (Dypsis) Chrysalidocarpus lutescens.  If you are in Orlando, you'd probably be better served to stop by a garden center and get a larger one.

I was trying to be sneaky and also my incredibly cheap self!

I won’t have time because it’s my daughter’s dance competition so I’m unavoidably detained. I could get one from my local nursery in St Augustine which I may do but this was more of an idea that came up 2 beers in!

• Like 2

Just now, byuind said:

I was trying to be sneaky and also my incredibly cheap self!

I won’t have time because it’s my daughter’s dance competition so I’m unavoidably detained. I could get one from my local nursery in St Augustine which I may do but this was more of an idea that came up 2 beers in!

🤣

Nothing wrong with being cheap!  Enjoy your time there!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Since it is a suckered palm, getting the roots separated from the other trunks could prove to be a little messy.  I have a little difficulty digging on private property without asking.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

You should rethink your strategy and buy your own. Not only is it theft, but getting caught for stealing a C. lutescens would be the ultimate insult.

Tim

• Like 10

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Don’t do it. Like stated above, it’s theft and probably vandalism. The suckers are not easily rooted and it’s a C. Lutescens. It would be one thing if there were seeds or seedlings on the ground. They would be easy to grab and probably no one would care but not suckers which would require cutting. Someone on here could probably send you seeds for little or no charge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

Since it is a suckered palm, getting the roots separated from the other trunks could prove to be a little messy.  I have a little difficulty digging on private property without asking.

This. I tried to separate a clump to thin it out and hopefully have a few more to sell or plant put. I was super dilegent about separating roots etc and still, every single one I removed died. Some quick, some took months. Thankfully the parent plant survived and is doing great. 

-dale 

• Like 1

Appreciate the responses.

I wasn’t really looking for Moral Advice - I supposed most people have never picked a blossom off of a rose or an exotic looking flower since that is actually fundamentally and physically the same thing as pulling a small shoot from the ground.

anyway - the question was whether or not it was a viable solution to pull suckers off of an established tree. Sounds like it’s difficult to do and probably low chance of success without tools

Just adding my two cents on Lutescens splitting…. The clumps I’ve divided (with multiple stalks remaining together) did great. But in my first attempt I had tried separating individual stalks and all of those died. Seems as though the stalks like to have a few “buddies” come with them (rather than single plants). That was my experience anyway - very similar to @Billeb

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Picking up seeds out of a parking lot that would be crushed, pool deck area that would be trashed or sprouts that would otherwise be mowed/wacked is ok.

You may be the next Florida-man if caught trying to separate the clumps.

• 3 weeks later...

You cannot propagate palm trees with a conventional cutting.   C. Lutecens is a very common palm and one of the cheapest around here.  Seeds should be easy to get and cheap or free if you look in public parks etc..

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank