IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need Help With Coconut Palm

Mr. Coconut Palm

I need help identifying a problem with a young Coconut Palm I have that I sprouted from a nut I collected on the beach at Padre Island, Texas a couple of years ago.  It is a green variety of some sort, and is about 3 feet tall in overall height.  It looked really good last year, so much so that it was one of the most beautiful Coconut Palms I had at the time, but it slowed down its growth in the last few months.  Recently, just in the last 2 to 3 weeks, the second newest leaf has turned VERY YELLOW with burned brown edges on the leaf, as if the leaf was freeze burned recently, but the weather has been very warm late spring weather, and it was not exposed to freezing temps over the winter.  It is in a 3 gal. pot, and I have kept it watered and fertilized it twice over the last few months.  Unfortunately, I can't upload any photos of it here, but can text photos to someone on Messenger, or on their cell number.  Thanks.

John

• Like 2

@Mr. Coconut Palm

See my PM.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

The palm in question:

received_529001049265375.jpeg.b3bd04872de93f8763857c60681ad240.jpeg

received_1324372248423954.jpeg.527e633049d0c0e13f8c1840a33c0052.jpeg    received_950660152788438.jpeg.5c1d686bfb0c609fdfa374dc31d91465.jpeg

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

The palm in question:

received_529001049265375.jpeg.b3bd04872de93f8763857c60681ad240.jpeg

received_1324372248423954.jpeg.527e633049d0c0e13f8c1840a33c0052.jpeg    received_950660152788438.jpeg.5c1d686bfb0c609fdfa374dc31d91465.jpeg

Thanks Jeremy.

Shouldn’t a coconut at that point of maturity be in a bigger pot? I’m not really sure but might be worth checking the roots

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 4:47 AM, ZPalms said:

Shouldn’t a coconut at that point of maturity be in a bigger pot? I’m not really sure but might be worth checking the roots

They are typically grown to this size or a little taller in 3 gal. pots before being moved up to 7 gal. pots.

John

2 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

They are typically grown to this size or a little taller in 3 gal. pots before being moved up to 7 gal. pots.

John

True, but they probably aren't fertilized while a huge endocarp is attached. 

• Like 1

If you have a spot in mind where you would want this then plant it in the ground sooner rather than later. They like sending their roots all around and do better overall, if they are to make it temperature wise, in the ground. 

Edited by ruskinPalms

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

For the record, I do still think green varieties are more robust and vigorous in general.

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

12 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

For the record, I do still think green varieties are more robust and vigorous in general.

Yes, for our thin veneer of Coconut Palm compatible Zone 10A Climate on the east side of Corpus Christi near the water, the ONLY viable options we seem to have here are Green petiole varieties like the Green Malayan Dwarf and the Green Tall varieties.

John

24 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

In the Rio Grande Valley though, especially on the east side of the Valkey from Weslaco to the coast, they can successfully grow the Golden Malayan Dwarf and other Golden colored petiole varieties.  And for those who live in the borderline Zone 10 B and 10 B parts of the Valley (Port Isabel and South Padre Island), they can even grow the more cold sensitive Yellow Malayan Dwarf to maturity.  I do have a friend here, though who does have some limited success with Golden Malayan Dwarfs.  He lives on a wide deep canal on North Padre Island, though.

John

• Like 1