IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

about variegated palms

miamicuse

I do not have any variegated palms but I saw pictures here of these plants and would like to try some myself.

So question one is, is a Caryota mitis variegata the same as a regular caryota mitis?  or do they have different water/sun/temperature/fertilizer requirements?

What are good variegated palms to try in zone 10b, near the coast, occasional wet feet, full to partial sun?  I am not looking for something super exotic and delicate like Licuala Mapu, but I wouldn't mind trying variegated Caryota mitis, Rhapis excelsa, Sabal Palmetto etc...

I know some grows them from seeds, but I would prefer something a bit further along, like 1-3 gallon sizes would be ideal.

Anyone know of a good source in south Florida, or somewhere else that may ship?

• Like 1

My variegated Mitis grew about the same as the regular type...and burned about as bad at 28ish or lower.  Mine might be trying to revert to green, it's hard to say.

My variegated Rhapis is growing great in part sun, I may see about finding another one with a different variegation pattern.  I don't know if mine has a name or not.

Lanonia Dasyantha is a neat small Licuala-ish palm!

• Like 2

Besides Caryota mitis and Rhapis, most are terribly difficult to find. I find most of mine by visiting local growers and looking through 1,000s to 10s of thousands of plants till I find one.

• Like 3

Variegated palms are not as robust and hardy as green palms. That is due to their missing/compromised chlorophyll that inhibits their ability to photosynthesize. They are slower growing and more fragile than “normal” specimens. The same goes for so-called “alba” or yellow cultivars such as golden Adonidias and Areca catechus. I have both and keep them under partial canopy because they are prone to sun damage. Be aware that all of the above require more “kid glove” care.

Variegated Rhapis are probably the easiest to find and come in a number of named cultivars from Japan. They can be pricey as are many variegated palms. I’ve also seen variegated Adonidias and Foxy Ladies, occasionally Sabal palmetto.

• Like 6

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Good information, thanks for sharing.

I found some small variegated Caryota mitis for sale by some online sellers.  Small plants, may be 12" tall if that.  Says it's looks like a regular green Caryota mitis but it has "the variegated genes", and it "probably will show the variegated pattern when it gets bigger".  I thought the variegation shows up even when small and can revert to green upon growing bigger?  I would assume the sellers originally grew these plants from a batch of seeds harvested from a variegated Caryota mitis but the end result would be hits and misses?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, miamicuse said:

I found some small variegated Caryota mitis for sale by some online sellers.  Small plants, may be 12" tall if that.  Says it's looks like a regular green Caryota mitis but it has "the variegated genes", and it "probably will show the variegated pattern when it gets bigger".  I thought the variegation shows up even when small and can revert to green upon growing bigger?  I would assume the sellers originally grew these plants from a batch of seeds harvested from a variegated Caryota mitis but the end result would be hits and misses?

I would be leery of that claim. If it is all green now chances are it will be green forever. Just because it has one copy of a recessive variegated gene doesn’t mean it shows that rare trait. I sure wouldn’t spend extra money for a “probably” variegated palm. What sellers don’t tell you - to my chagrin - is that out of 1,000 seeds (say, of variegated palmetto), “perhaps” 2 will produce variegated offspring. As a palm newbie I bought 100 seeds supposedly from a variegated palmetto and got 100 green palmettos. I get irked when sellers pull that kind of stunt.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

44 minutes ago, miamicuse said:

Haha. That's funny but sad the sellers is saying that. Variegated fishtails have vareigation from first leaves.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I would be leery of that claim. If it is all green now chances are it will be green forever. Just because it has one copy of a recessive variegated gene doesn’t mean it shows that rare trait. I sure wouldn’t spend extra money for a “probably” variegated palm. What sellers don’t tell you - to my chagrin - is that out of 1,000 seeds (say, of variegated palmetto), “perhaps” 2 will produce variegated offspring. As a palm newbie I bought 100 seeds supposedly from a variegated palmetto and got 100 green palmettos. I get irked when sellers pull that kind of stunt.

Thank you.  I have over a dozen regular mature mitis in the ground on my property so there is no need for me to baby a new small mitis especially allocate a prime location for it it's just a regular one.

• Like 2

Yeah, I bought a bunch of "Variegated" Caryota Mitis seed from RPS, they grew out 100% NOT variegated on the first leaves.  I've kept them anyway, as I might have a spot where I want a tall impenetrable mass of trunks in the future.  But at the moment the first and successive leaves are all green.  Anyone asking big bucks for a "variegated genes" plant is a scammer.

• Like 2

Years back, a gal (Lynn McKamey?) With the PSST grew variegated Rhapis for sale. Don't know if that is still a source. Last I recall, UPS was not careful with her mail-order shipments, so she scaled back to in-person sales.

• Like 1

Many variegated palms/plant will grow out of it as well. So keep that in mind if buying 1-2 leaf seedlings.

• Like 1

The only variegated I get are Pandanus…

What you look for is what is looking