IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Possible Cocos Nucifera growing outdoors in Compton, CA

OC Phil

Hi Im a new member although I have been lurking in Palmtalk for several years. I love the tree. Perhaps this palm is already known but recently, I was driving to Carson, Ca to see someone and on the way to their house I happened to glance off the street to see an unusual palm that took my attention. Judging by the base and the tall leaves, I could not believe that it might be a coconut palm growing outdoors, not against a wall and still living despite several years of recent drought and especially after this winter's constant cold and rain. I have seen cocos before in better climates and have somewhat an ability to identify. So based on my initial drive by ( I could not stop and there is no parking possible at this location) I returned yesterday after a month to get a closer look. I took a few photos and a short video to help assist more seasoned palm freaks at confirming my suspicion. I could be wrong, but no harm, no foul. However, if it is a cocos, it might qualify as the second most northerly outdoor cocos in California.

I will attach the photos from several angles and close up to aid in ID. Not sure if this site can post videos. I would be curious of your thoughts. It can also be found on google maps at the address I used when I saw it : 2425 Wilmington Ave. Compton, CA  These photos were as of yesterday. Upon walking up to it for the first time, I saw what appeared to be a sprinkler by the trunk which would have helped it with its moisture needs during the non rainy season. However, given its micro climate and non protection, it is an interesting find, presuming its a cocos.

OC Phil

possible cocos 1.jpeg

possible cocos 2.jpeg

possible cocos 3.jpeg

possible cocos 4.jpeg

possible cocos 5.jpeg

• Like 22

Looks like coconut to me, welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

14 hours ago, OC Phil said:

Hi Im a new member although I have been lurking in Palmtalk for several years. I love the tree. Perhaps this palm is already known but recently, I was driving to Carson, Ca to see someone and on the way to their house I happened to glance off the street to see an unusual palm that took my attention. Judging by the base and the tall leaves, I could not believe that it might be a coconut palm growing outdoors, not against a wall and still living despite several years of recent drought and especially after this winter's constant cold and rain. I have seen cocos before in better climates and have somewhat an ability to identify. So based on my initial drive by ( I could not stop and there is no parking possible at this location) I returned yesterday after a month to get a closer look. I took a few photos and a short video to help assist more seasoned palm freaks at confirming my suspicion. I could be wrong, but no harm, no foul. However, if it is a cocos, it might qualify as the second most northerly outdoor cocos in California.

I will attach the photos from several angles and close up to aid in ID. Not sure if this site can post videos. I would be curious of your thoughts. It can also be found on google maps at the address I used when I saw it : 2425 Wilmington Ave. Compton, CA  These photos were as of yesterday. Upon walking up to it for the first time, I saw what appeared to be a sprinkler by the trunk which would have helped it with its moisture needs during the non rainy season. However, given its micro climate and non protection, it is an interesting find, presuming its a cocos.

OC Phil

possible cocos 1.jpeg

possible cocos 2.jpeg

possible cocos 3.jpeg

possible cocos 4.jpeg

possible cocos 5.jpeg

That is 100% a coconut, fantastic find!!! I am obsessed with California coconuts and growing coconuts in marginal climates, this is amazing! It looks surprisingly good considering how exposed it is, I saw the one in Del Mar a number of weeks ago and it was pretty damaged from the winter. Compton has a great location, slightly inland so that it gets more heat than right by the ocean, but near enough to the ocean that it gets the coastal influence, plus it probably has an urban heat island effect. But that said this one is growing completely in the open, really cool to see one growing next to the street like that. Thank you so much for sharing! Here is the Google Maps link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8686992,-118.2357934,3a,15y,69.46h,87.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-S3MFaLIoIJR1yz8QMloMA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

image.thumb.png.17240d3a4049cc8e589fb9f082bcca7c.png

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Great find! Looks like it’s survived several winters. 

• Like 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Very nice find!! It would be cool to know who planted it and where where it was sourced from. I would love to try one out someday

• Like 4

Great to see another Cocos trying to make it in the coastal basin.  The more inland location gives it some better odds at manufacturing a sufficient crown over the summer/early fall period, especially since that Long Beach-Compton inland area can get very hot in summer despite being in the coastal plain (and certainly much warmer than the old Newport Beach coconut suffered). Probably hotter than the location of the Santa Ana coconut, which I think manages a pretty decent appearance. One possible danger I see is that this Compton specimen has lost more than half its crown since the Google Street Maps picture was taken last year, and it is still in the midst of the cold spring season with copious overcast and chill of late. Still 4-6 weeks left of that before sustained "coconut-friendly" warmth hits it, and this is the traditional danger season for Cocos in coastal California, when they can collapse after six months of cold temps (or, more usually, holding on for a few years of that treatment, slowly dwindling). But that it's alive at all bodes well, I think it's rather amazing that this survived this really unusual cold fall-through-early spring period in California this year. So it may have some good genes, helped along by a western exposure and the adjacent concrete and asphalt. Also as Jim noted it has been in the ground since at least December 2020, so it should at least have a decent root-system and some adjustment to the climate. It would be great to have an attractive coconut on a major thoroughfare. Hope for a hot summer with some warm nights!

• Like 4

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Awesome find! If you go back to 2019, you'll see how fast it grew in 4 years! Is that a Foxtail growing right next to it? I wonder why they removed it..

Capture.JPG

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, jgi27 said:

Is that a Foxtail growing right next to it? I wonder why they removed it..

Its a queen, it probably didnt do well

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lucas

Very cool! It looks like it took a beating after this winter. Hopefully the crown recovers this summer! I planted 3 Pacific Tall Coconuts from Hawaii as seedlings last spring in El Centro, CA, and they took a beating this winter but all managed to survive. Will post pictures later this summer if they start looking more photogenic. 

• Like 5

I'm always up for learning new things!

On 5/21/2023 at 10:49 PM, OC Phil said:

OC Phil

possible cocos 1.jpeg

possible cocos 2.jpeg

possible cocos 3.jpeg

possible cocos 4.jpeg

possible cocos 5.jpeg

just incredible. Our winters aren't too friendly to coconuts :0

• Like 1

6a toronto/10b los angeles

Nice to see another Southern California Coconut Palm.  It's amazing that it could have survived such a cold and wet winter.  I wonder if they protected it at all during the winter?  It would be nice to know the variety and where they got it from.

John

• Like 1

That location is less than 10 miles from the beach, with no mountains blocking the breeze. It probably gets a lot of moisture from the ocean, and that area can get really hot. I should try planting a C Nucifera here in the Valley.

• Like 2

Average temperatures are very mild in Compton. “Real” heat is rare though. 
IMG_2949.thumb.png.b8b12cc4d3d277392988a7c192bec477.png

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

As far as SoCal goes that's just about the best area for coconuts, that belt close to the coast but inland enough that it gets a bit more heat. That and some of the low desert areas. By comparison, here is how the big coconut palm in Del Mar looked when I saw it in early April. That area is basically perpetually cool, right next to the ocean.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, kylecawazafla said:

Updated photos! Hopefully it survives. 

IMG_6394.jpeg

IMG_6395.jpeg

It would be a miracle if this survived the winter we had. Not freezing temps but lower than average temps forever and much more rain than history has shown. Hopefully it makes it but that crown doesn’t look the healthiest. 

-dale 

• Like 1

It was hard to photograph the crown, but there was a pale looking spear emerging. I gave a hard yank on it, and it felt very firm, so hopefully it can put out a few new fronds before the chilly weather returns. 

• Like 2

I'm always up for learning new things!

• 1 month later...

That's a good catch OC Phil.  I know that area is only around 15 miles to the ocean.  May not be the most "glamorous" area, but there is a nice climate there.

Of course, your area has a nice climate as well.  I remember seeing some of those older TV shows that were shot in your general area of California.  The houses had a lot of orange trees in the yard back then.

Edited by RFun

Hi Jadd: I have not visited it since the orginal post. I have not had business in that area that would let by drive by. It seems other members did report that the tree was hanging on although our summer was as weird as the winter. Rather overcast well into June and July before marginal inland heat rose. I do not know its current status but it looks to be a few years old and scrappy

OC Phil

1 hour ago, OC Phil said:

Hi Jadd: I have not visited it since the orginal post. I have not had business in that area that would let by drive by. It seems other members did report that the tree was hanging on although our summer was as weird as the winter. Rather overcast well into June and July before marginal inland heat rose. I do not know its current status but it looks to be a few years old and scrappy

OC Phil

Thanks for the response. I do hope it finds a way to hang on and maybe get some size to it in the future.

• Like 1