IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nice message from Jeff zone 8 N.C.

Alberto

Hi everybody. A long time since I posted here, but I always remember you all ( thanks Jeff) and the nice and sometimes deep level " talks" on this fora. Yes, I'm still in palms. 😀. Posting sometimes on Facebook. Inspired by the Huntingtons Garden, that I saw years ago, I'm working hard to finish my garden with succulents, cactus, bromeliads , cycads and others. Still looking for some palms like Brahea decumbens, the real Ravenea glauca, Ravenea cycadifolia, etc. Some pics of the garden this week ( it''s dry lately)

20230519_152611.jpg

20230519_152205.jpg

20230519_151931.jpg

20230519_152632.jpg

20230519_151913.jpg

20230519_151820.jpg

20230519_151613.jpg

20230519_151353.jpg

20230519_151410.jpg

20230519_151329.jpg

20230519_151120.jpg

20230519_150943.jpg

20230519_151424.jpg

20230519_151042.jpg

20230519_151057.jpg

20230519_150825.jpg

20230519_152548.jpg

20230519_152807.jpg

20230519_153016.jpg

20230519_153029.jpg

20230519_153201.jpg

• Like 27
  • Upvote 2

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

4 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Tropics are tropics regardless the altitude!

... subtropics.... 😀

• Like 2

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Thanks! Some other pictures ( that were deleted because they appeared upside-down... and they insist to appear upside-down.... 😀... why????

20230519_152113.jpg

20230519_152236.jpg

20230519_152053.jpg

20230519_152005.jpg

20230519_151237.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Alberto said:

Thanks! Some other pictures ( that were deleted because they appeared upside-down... and they insist to appear upside-down.... 😀... why????

20230519_152113.jpg

20230519_152236.jpg

20230519_152053.jpg

20230519_152005.jpg

20230519_151237.jpg

Because the are from southern hemisphere?

• Like 8

😀 😀 😀

On 5/19/2023 at 10:22 PM, Alberto said:

Some other pictures ( that were deleted because they appeared upside-down... and they insist to appear upside-down.... 😀... why????

Did you take them with an iPhone? Whenever I take iPhone photos and put them on this forum, they always insist on orientating themselves to the phone rather than gravity (so a landscape photo will be rotated by 90 degrees, etc.) Did you take these photos with your phone inverted?
I don't know why this happens; the only way to fix it seems to be to open the photo in an image editor and save as a new file.

Amazing garden, though.

• Like 1

Looks fantastic Alberto, with cactus to boot. I can see the inspiration from the Huntington. I won’t ask what you do in your spare time.

Some of us are still posting away after all these years.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for the kind word. lt was always a great pleasure for me to see your gardens and plants, to learn from your expertise. My first languages are portuguese and dutch and spanish is easy to read, but with palmtalk I was literally " forced" to write English and despite the imperfections, I always could communicate with "palmnuts" around the world. That was really marvellous! And to have visited some of you and to have met the "palmtalk folks" at the Biennials were also highlights in my life, for sure. I hope to see and learn even more from you all. And now, maybe ... New Caledonea in 2023? With pre or post tours in Australia and NZ? Who knows?! Kind regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Incredible garden Alberto. I hope you can get your hands on the real Ravenea glauca. They will work wonderfully for you. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

How old are your Aracauria angustifolia and what the species of Licuala are you growing in the first few pictures?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I really don' t know how old are my Araucaria angustifolia trees. They were the main reason I bought this property 31 years ago. It was always my dream to build my house near old pinheiro-do-paraná.  Maybe a hundred years.....??? I also planted several that are now 25 years old. This is a Lanonia ( Licuala) dasiantha. 

20230519_152632.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alberto, I can thank you for introducing me to the Aracauria angustifolia and I’ve now got a few in the ground now my biggest ones about 2.5m tall. They don’t like anything above about 38C and I’ve lost a couple to a freak 43.5C day we had two years ago, but those grown in darker shadier more rainforest positions have done well. The Bunya pine, one of the Australian Aracaurias can handle brutal heat so they’ve taken the spots of the Parana pines that have died. In time I should have that Jurassic Gondwana look going on here.
Lanonia dasyantha is doing great for you. I think your climate on average is just a little bit warmer than mine as I need to protect my L dasyantha’s .

Youve got an awesome garden. Keep posting pictures as it progresses. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Alberto, I can thank you for introducing me to the Aracauria angustifolia and I’ve now got a few in the ground now my biggest ones about 2.5m tall. They don’t like anything above about 38C and I’ve lost a couple to a freak 43.5C day we had two years ago, but those grown in darker shadier more rainforest positions have done well. The Bunya pine, one of the Australian Aracaurias can handle brutal heat so they’ve taken the spots of the Parana pines that have died. In time I should have that Jurassic Gondwana look going on here.
Lanonia dasyantha is doing great for you. I think your climate on average is just a little bit warmer than mine as I need to protect my L dasyantha’s .

What would you recommend doing with angustifolia when the temperature is over 38c? They also had a nice one in the botanical garden I saw today in the UK.

Screenshot_20230523-002701334 (1).jpg

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

I think my climate is in fact more temperate then yours.  Some years ago the maximum temperature reached 34⁰C. Normally very hot days in January reach 31⁰C and normally around 25 - 27⁰ C in summer. Most winters are not extremely cold but a "century freeze"  in the past reached -8.4⁰C. I hope the Paraná pines will adapt better when bigger.  Regards!

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

What would you recommend doing with angustifolia when the temperature is over 38c? They also had a nice one in the botanical garden I saw today in the UK.

Screenshot_20230523-002701334 (1).jpg

Nice pinheiro! Summers are very rainy here. Dry hot is a killer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alberto said:

Nice pinheiro! Summers are very rainy here. Dry hot is a killer.

That Is what I was concerned about because we get heatwaves from dry places.

Even though I irrigate and nothing dries out in summer, when we get extreme heat it’s always dry heat. I think that’s the issue with my Parana pines that died, but as you say hopefully they get stronger  with age. 
Hopefully you never see a minus 8.4C temp ever there. Your garden looks phenomenal for a place that can get below 0C. 

• Like 1