IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm survivors after cold, wet zone 9b winter

Hillizard

My Bismarckia nobilis has one new leaf and one new spear, the rest of the leaves are just bare petioles after this winter.

Bismarckia.png

My Jubaeopsis caffra seems unfazed by the winter and is putting out a new leaf. The trunk is growing "artistically" at an angle!

Caffra1.png

Caffra2.png

Caffra3.png

Livistona fulva (grown from seed via RPS) did fine underneath a Trachycarpus 'nova'.

LivistonaFulva.png

Growth rate on my Chrysalidocarpus (formerly Dypsis) decipiens slowed down over the winter but looks like the plant survived relatively intact! I've learned not to mess with this species once it seems to have adjusted to its planting location. I just leave it alone!!!

Dypsis_decipiens.png

• Like 12

Looks great! similar results to me in Fresno, except my Bismarckia looks to have gotten bud rot and hasn't pushed out growth as far as I can tell. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

@HillizardWhat temperature did the Jubaeopsis caffra see?

I believe my backyard dropped into upper 20s deg F for a couple of nights this winter. My jubie is surrounded by other palms & plants that may have helped protect it somewhat. It's still adjusting to being liberated last year from a pot it had grown in for years. It was originally a double-header but the smaller shoot declined last year while it was still potted. I've read that this species is quite cold-hardy. The challenge is to find one of any size. I've grown mine (that I got from Phil at JM) for at least ten years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Looks great! similar results to me in Fresno, except my Bismarckia looks to have gotten bud rot and hasn't pushed out growth as far as I can tell. 

My Bismarckia is alive but looks stunted with short petioles. I took a chance and planted my Jubaeopsis in the ground after seeing your success. I envy you your Beccariophoenix alfredii! Every one of mine, regardless of age, has died over the years. I may have to give up on that species where I live. 🙁

20 hours ago, Hillizard said:

My Bismarckia is alive but looks stunted with short petioles. I took a chance and planted my Jubaeopsis in the ground after seeing your success. I envy you your Beccariophoenix alfredii! Every one of mine, regardless of age, has died over the years. I may have to give up on that species where I live. 🙁

I wonder if my success with beccariophoenix has to do with my soil. I sit on an alluvial floodplain of the San Joaquin River so I have very deep, sandy soil. UC Davis' Soilweb lists my yard's soil as Tujunga Loamy Sand, with a sand content between 70-80%. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

These bad boys made it through a very unusual 20/22 degrees F for 2 nights here in Alabama in December.  The landscaper butchered them the next week and I thought they were goners for sure, but….. 46434C40-4998-4F64-BAB9-30FFCEBAD245.thumb.jpeg.466329911c32ce587e2802433ca83bbc.jpeg

• Like 4

well, my bismackia's spear pulled. I knew it was likely but still bummed about it. I have a replacement ready to go in the ground though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

well, my bismackia's spear pulled. I knew it was likely but still bummed about it. I have a replacement ready to go in the ground though!

Pour some peroxide down the hole once a week and keep the hole as dry as possible. They will push back out if the damage wasn’t to deep. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2023 at 1:44 PM, MobileBayGarden said:

These bad boys made it through a very unusual 20/22 degrees F for 2 nights here in Alabama in December.  The landscaper butchered them the next week and I thought they were goners for sure, but….. 46434C40-4998-4F64-BAB9-30FFCEBAD245.thumb.jpeg.466329911c32ce587e2802433ca83bbc.jpeg

Spent last week in St Augustine, FL and saw a huge, old Bismark in the historic area downtown.  Are they reliably hardy in coastal AL?  

IMG_6855.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/15/2023 at 5:18 PM, ntxpalms said:

IMG_6855.jpeg

Wow, that's a big boy! They seem make it along the coast once established at the 8b/9a line, but not too far inland. They were pretty rare, but now that the big box stores are selling them like crazy they are everywhere. 

Philippe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MobileBayGarden said:

Wow, that's a big boy! They seem make it along the coast once established at the 8b/9a line, but not too far inland. They were pretty rare, but now that the big box stores are selling them like crazy they are everywhere. 

Philippe

Yep I’d agree I’m 10 miles from downtown Charleston so 9Aish and my bismark has done just fine 

• Like 1

My palm collection in Dallas consists of Sabals and Trachycarpus.  I had 4 huge W. filiferas that the freeze of 2021 killed off, but they had grown unprotected for 13 years, even surviving 2011’s 100 hours below 32F. The Sabal texana and the Trachy survived 1F in 2021 unprotected.  Last year we had a low of 10F, and the Sabals and Trachys dealt with it no problem. I have a small filifera tucked in the shrubbery that I grew from seed collected along the Riverwalk in San Antonio.  I need to add a Pindo as they do pretty well in north Texas. 

IMG_7087.jpeg

IMG_7081.jpeg

IMG_7085.jpeg

IMG_7088.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 7:38 PM, ntxpalms said:

My palm collection in Dallas consists of Sabals and Trachycarpus.  I had 4 huge W. filiferas that the freeze of 2021 killed off, but they had grown unprotected for 13 years, even surviving 2011’s 100 hours below 32F. The Sabal texana and the Trachy survived 1F in 2021 unprotected.  Last year we had a low of 10F, and the Sabals and Trachys dealt with it no problem. I have a small filifera tucked in the shrubbery that I grew from seed collected along the Riverwalk in San Antonio.  I need to add a Pindo as they do pretty well in north Texas. 

IMG_7087.jpeg

IMG_7081.jpeg

IMG_7085.jpeg

IMG_7088.jpeg

Beautiful Yard!

2 hours ago, MobileBayGarden said:

They are definitely pushing out more now. 
IMG_2240.thumb.jpeg.a60e63605e85fd37c0a3215bf5e4805c.jpeg

They look great. Hopefully winter will be mild so they can get a lot bigger next year. 

11 hours ago, MobileBayGarden said:

They are definitely pushing out more now. 
IMG_2240.thumb.jpeg.a60e63605e85fd37c0a3215bf5e4805c.jpeg

How long have you had them? Down the road in panhandle Florida we got down to 19 degrees this winter, you're tempting me to get one.

14 hours ago, AcerPALMatum said:

How long have you had them? Down the road in panhandle Florida we got down to 19 degrees this winter, you're tempting me to get one.

I recall them being there for at least the last five years. This was the first winter that they actually got burned back completely and we were around 20 degrees for 2 nights with absolutely no protection. The two big box stores usually have pretty good deals on 33 gals, by the late spring early summer. I picked up 8 this year for a rental I’m redoing that were actually 1/2 off, around $85 each. They were a little rough around the edges from being manhandled and neglected but they pushed new growth out pretty quick once I got them in the ground. Im not sure what part of the panhandle you are in, but I picked up 2 of mine in Pensacola. 

Philippe

• Like 1