IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Banyans

A few palms thrown in the blender:

192E6F19-AC8B-41C8-BDF0-FEA26009066B.thumb.jpeg.bc450a5176b102b02321d3fb7e8d25c6.jpeg

• Like 3

What you look for is what is looking

Ficus macrophylla v. columnaris and Howea forsteriana,   a tight squeeze in the second image !  :winkie:

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Wouldn't mind a true Banyan (Ficus benghalensis), but I'm sure that would be frowned upon in my location.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Kinzy,

If you have the right space, I would not think people would throw too much shade at you. They are grown to your north at Disney and in Winter Haven (old Cypress Gardens spot).

What is amazing to me is the high latitude places like Darold’s in Northern California and the crazy latitudes in Europe!

• Like 2

My images are from habitat, on Lord Howe Island.   There are large examples of F. macrophylla in SoCal however.  :)

The late Pauleen Sullivan was able to grow South American palms from equatorial latitudes and low elevations in Ventura, CA.

• Like 3

San Francisco, California

On 5/10/2023 at 1:42 PM, kinzyjr said:

Wouldn't mind a true Banyan (Ficus benghalensis), but I'm sure that would be frowned upon in my location.

It's the space that is the challenge... right???  I'm growing a few other Ficus, but mostly in pots just because of the challenges that space and their roots can create.  In fact the only Ficus in the ground as opposed to pots in my gardens are as yet small Ficus caricara, Ficus socotrana and Ficus dammaropsisFicus macrophylla and bengalhensis are better suited for public parks and gardens with a great deal of room.  A couple of the baby Ficus since I don't have any true Banyon Ficus species growing in my garden.

20230505-BH3I0893.jpg

20230509-BH3I0947.jpg

20230509-BH3I0948.jpg

• Like 6

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 5/10/2023 at 8:17 PM, bubba said:

Kinzy,

If you have the right space, I would not think people would throw too much shade at you. They are grown to your north at Disney and in Winter Haven (old Cypress Gardens spot).

What is amazing to me is the high latitude places like Darold’s in Northern California and the crazy latitudes in Europe!

20 hours ago, Tracy said:

It's the space that is the challenge... right???  I'm growing a few other Ficus, but mostly in pots just because of the challenges that space and their roots can create.  In fact the only Ficus in the ground as opposed to pots in my gardens are as yet small Ficus caricara, Ficus socotrana and Ficus dammaropsisFicus macrophylla and bengalhensis are better suited for public parks and gardens with a great deal of room.  A couple of the baby Ficus since I don't have any true Banyon Ficus species growing in my garden.

Space is certainly a consideration, but the bigger portion of the concern would be the underground water infrastructure.  Ficus benghalensis is notorious for being a pipe wrecker.

• Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 5/11/2023 at 2:17 AM, bubba said:

Kinzy,

Sanremo, Italy , 43° lat. N

Presentazione del libro "Itinerari dei ficus della baia di Moreton da  Sanremo a Bordighera" - Riviera24

Edited by Tomas
  • Like 6

43 degrees latitude north Banyan is beyond belief! A few more and the first is a Florida Champion:0B29B544-8AD7-46FE-B843-4C3B6E61E366.thumb.jpeg.60738784a76ced5437ca13b2ce712ce8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are many great allees of banyans (I think both F. benghalensis and F. altissima) lining the streets of Coconut Grove and Coral Gables. Absolutely spectacular to walk or drive under those cathedral ceilings! 

And Bubba, I think the tree you note above as a Florida Champion with three photos is actually a kapok tree (Ceiba pentandra). Root structure is different from typical "banyan" Ficus, plus no aerial roots, and the foliage in the final shot shows the palmate/digitate leaves typical of Ceiba and common in the bombax group of the Malvaceae. But still an awesome species and can give a banyan a run for its money...

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

how are ficus trees and banyan trees different are they the same family?

i have a 50+ feet tall ficus benjamina in my yard that I fight to keep under control every year at a significant cost.  I have been pushing it's upper envelope back but the roots I can't do anything about.  But at least I got the canopy to stay out of the fish pond air space so the fig drops will not rain thousands of figs into the water every hours and turn the pond into a pool of fig wine.

1 minute ago, miamicuse said:

how are ficus trees and banyan trees different are they the same family?

i have a 50+ feet tall ficus benjamina in my yard that I fight to keep under control every year at a significant cost.  I have been pushing it's upper envelope back but the roots I can't do anything about.  But at least I got the canopy to stay out of the fish pond air space so the fig drops will not rain thousands of figs into the water every hours and turn the pond into a pool of fig wine.

Same family.. " Banyan " is just a commonly used term for certain large species ..Particularly those that produce Aerial roots which eventually root and form a jumble of trunks, like F. benjamina

Wiki:

1053209943_Screenshot2023-05-30at13-08-26Banyan-Wikipedia.png.5da1533f79342008c793a6f92a17e12f.png

• Upvote 1