IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chicago 2023 Small Tropical Garden/Area

ChicagoPalma

I ordered some plants for this year's new tropical garden and planted 4 colocasia 'aloha', 1 Canna Tropicanna, and 1 colocasia 'coffee cups', also of them will probably survive with the mulch and maybe external heating, Im also getting the palm this week, either wednesday or some other day. I also had a change of plans after talking with my parents and they say it would be better to have the palm in the backyard by the hammock. Currently I have 1 giant calla lily 'white giant', 2 giant cannas, and also 1 more canna tropicanna and 4-5 colocasia 'aloha'. They will be planted in the backyard with some musa basjoo and will make a nice tropical backdrop. Will send pictures later.

• Like 4

Also thanks to allen and all of your guys advice, everything is growing well.

• Like 2

Photos, please?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Palm tree is coming this upcoming weekend and home depot has something you texans love, queen palms! I found like a 6-8 ft queen palms, huge majesties, and 8ft christmas palms, what a gift they are coming up north, and only for $80 bucks! There are also large travelers palm and bird of paradise around 6ft tall or smaller. They are only for $50 bucks and it will make this years little tropical garden amazing. For once we actually get tropical plants, also there are sago palms and 1-2 needle palms. Weird but wonderful variety!

Do you intend on buying the palms you mentioned from The Home Depot?

Probably, a travelers palm and maybe a christmas palm for decoration.

On 5/8/2023 at 11:30 AM, ChicagoPalma said:

I ordered some plants for this year's new tropical garden and planted 4 colocasia 'aloha', 1 Canna Tropicanna, and 1 colocasia 'coffee cups', also of them will probably survive with the mulch and maybe external heating, Im also getting the palm this week, either wednesday or some other day. I also had a change of plans after talking with my parents and they say it would be better to have the palm in the backyard by the hammock. Currently I have 1 giant calla lily 'white giant', 2 giant cannas, and also 1 more canna tropicanna and 4-5 colocasia 'aloha'. They will be planted in the backyard with some musa basjoo and will make a nice tropical backdrop. Will send pictures later.

Where'd you buy the palm tree?

🌴🌴🌴

Facebook seller, some cuban guy grew a bunch of them down south and brought them up here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Palm tree is coming this upcoming weekend and home depot has something you texans love, queen palms! I found like a 6-8 ft queen palms, huge majesties, and 8ft christmas palms, what a gift they are coming up north, and only for $80 bucks! There are also large travelers palm and bird of paradise around 6ft tall or smaller. They are only for $50 bucks and it will make this years little tropical garden amazing. For once we actually get tropical plants, also there are sago palms and 1-2 needle palms. Weird but wonderful variety!

They always sell queen palms at our BBS.  Each time I pass by one I want to have another one lol.  8 to 10 ft cost only 60 dollars here. 

Welp, a larger palm tree might not be possible because our facebook seller said he was a fraud and north east ohio palms wants to charge me 1200 for a 6ft palm tree, but thats with freight shipping, and my parents are probably not gonna drive and pick it up, so ill probably get a 15 gallon instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

1200 for a 6ft palm tree,

Ya, not a sound decision.  A local 15 gallon is a much better option.

You’ve for sure got to pay to get palms up north. I’ve paid quite a bit a few times to get bigger sizes here. Sabal minor, needle palm you should feel free to plant smaller sizes if you’re going to protect. Any trunking species I would highly recommend getting a good sized palm. @Allenhas given you some advice before, i know him and Gary from Gary’s nursery, been growing and selling cold hardy palms for 40-50 years both recommend planting as big a size windmill as you can get. Gary specifically says 15 gallon. I had one Trachycarpus survive this past winter at my house, protected but unheated. It was the biggest one. I think I planted it as a 15 gallon. 5 other smaller fortuneis out right got smoked. 

• Upvote 1

The 15 gallons I also might have to order from nurseries down south is either 3-4 ft tall and the windmill palm I got the 3 gallon from Amazon was 3ft tall..

50 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Well can I order from Garys nursery?

Gary only does pickup unless something changed. If you’re ever on the coast in NC it’s worth stopping by 

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2023 at 9:45 AM, ChicagoPalma said:

Try a needle for sure…here in my zone 7, they are proven hardy without any protection…your zone may require a little winter care, especially the first two winters or so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/20/2023 at 2:00 PM, GregVirginia7 said:

Try a needle for sure…here in my zone 7, they are proven hardy without any protection…your zone may require a little winter care, especially the first two winters or so.

I second this. My Needle Palm is thriving in Zone 7A. I feel like it should be given more of a chance in the colder zones.

5-22-2023

Emerald Isle, NC

USDA Zone 8B - Humid Subtropical (CFA)

Im looking for hardy trunking palms and my answer is trachycarpus fortunei, and change of plans steve is selling me a 15 gallon.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrTropical said:

I second this. My Needle Palm is thriving in Zone 7A. I feel like it should be given more of a chance in the colder zones.

5-22-2023

Do you think that your palms success may in part, be due to the possibility your cold temps don't linger for extended periods, like they would in other regions of zone 7?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m back from being sick and right now I’m waiting for Steve to respond back as he hasn’t responded in a while which paused the tropical gardening thing.

I've never been to this place, so I don't know how prices are, and it looks like the palms they do have are mostly tropical, but it might be fun to check out Jungle of Niles if you haven't yet. From what I saw it looked interesting at least. 

• Like 1

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick