IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis don’t care !

JubaeaMan138

Like the title says I’m posting these as dypsis jurassic park and dypsis decipiens despite the name change . Jurassic park came from jd andersen as jurassic park had it in a 55 gallon trash can for the last 2 years . Dypsis decipiens came from Perry glen . Planted these today man it feels good to get these in the ground 

A7816054-743D-4BC4-A4ED-E3ECBFCF818A.jpeg

28F39D17-EC79-49AF-8BA6-7B93F94C3078.jpeg

551B9DFB-ABAA-4547-AC18-21F2C358090B.jpeg

Edited by JubaeaMan138
Missed something .
  • Like 24
  • Upvote 4

Kind of thinking I may have to give them a little shade cover during the august September months until they get a little bit bigger 

They look great! I would protect the decipiens if you think sun might damage it - it's so slow growing you don't want to risk a big set back

The dypsis decipiens has seen much more sun than the other . I got a couple More gems to plant out still mananjarensis and a robusta and Carlsmithii but I’m going to hold off on those maybe one more season in the pot . I’ve loved watching how these plants have morphed into something completely different over the last few years . The jurassic park which im pretty sure is just a prestoniana looked completely different when I first got it crammed in its little 3 gallon pot about 4 years ago . Got to love chrysalidocarpus !! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2023 at 9:32 AM, Josue Diaz said:

They look great! I would protect the decipiens if you think sun might damage it - it's so slow growing you don't want to risk a big set back

So far decipiens ain’t minding the 97 degree sun 

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on this guy after planting and seeing 100 degree days I do flood this guy daily . 130

pound cane corso for scale 

image.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Love that new leaf just opened in the last couple days 

image.jpg

Chris, although not a “Jurassic Park”, my variant thereof Prestoniana finally went in the ground a few weeks ago. It grew great in a pot so I’m hoping and optimistic it picks up speed. Gotta love big boy Dypsis. 

-dale 

71061737641__C8413FB3-2473-4CF8-A043-95E4241301CD.thumb.jpeg.7eb9c84309c6166765ac425047a0f8f9.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Decipiens not looking as hot I’ve always struggled with this species in summer here . They just doesn’t like 100 plus temps . 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Missed this thread before.. not much else out there enjoyment wise in Palmland like planting a big Dypsis.. or Chrysalidocarpus.. that is ready to GO!!

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

3 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Decipiens not looking as hot I’ve always struggled with this species in summer here . They just doesn’t like 100 plus temps . 

image.jpg

Chris, Those don’t like being planted too deeply. I can’t see your decipiens’ base or heel in the photo. Also, they grow exceptionally well in shady conditions as long as it’s bright shade so maybe you could try that with one and it would likely handle the heat better. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

9 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Chris, Those don’t like being planted too deeply. I can’t see your decipiens’ base or heel in the photo. Also, they grow exceptionally well in shady conditions as long as it’s bright shade so maybe you could try that with one and it would likely handle the heat better. 

It has about 3 inches of lava rock around the base hard to to tell but heel is slightly exposed through it . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

It has about 3 inches of lava rock around the base hard to to tell but heel is slightly exposed through it . 

Ideally you’ll want to keep the soil as cool as possible in your climate. Wood mulch does a better job than rock, even lava rock, at moderating soil temperature as well as keeping soil moisture where it should be. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 5/9/2023 at 5:23 PM, JubaeaMan138 said:

The dypsis decipiens has seen much more sun than the other . I got a couple More gems to plant out still mananjarensis and a robusta and Carlsmithii but I’m going to hold off on those maybe one more season in the pot . I’ve loved watching how these plants have morphed into something completely different over the last few years . The jurassic park which im pretty sure is just a prestoniana looked completely different when I first got it crammed in its little 3 gallon pot about 4 years ago . Got to love chrysalidocarpus !! 

I agree that the one you got as Jurassic Park looks like Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus.   I have something I got as Jurassic Park from Josh as a 1 gallon.  It came from Jeff at Floribunda originally.   Pretty different than either of my Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus.  Th full monty shot it is in the center foreground.

20230813_105039.jpg

20230813_105052.jpg

20230813_105111.jpg

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

@Tracy  With those "specks" and long petiole it kinda looks like my Highland mealybug/nauseosa.  Possibly the  "Jerry anderson malcomberi" which I think is the actual pilulifera.. Nice!

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

@Tracy  With those "specks" and long petiole it kinda looks like my Highland mealybug/nauseosa.  Possibly the  "Jerry anderson malcomberi" which I think is the actual pilulifera.. Nice!

Agree with bill. I had one of those few years back killer Palm unfortunately kept it alive in a pot but minute I planted it . It died rather fast not sure what happened there wish I had another one of those jd andersen malcomberi 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

I agree that the one you got as Jurassic Park looks like Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus.   I have something I got as Jurassic Park from Josh as a 1 gallon.  It came from Jeff at Floribunda originally.   Pretty different than either of my Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus.  Th full monty shot it is in the center foreground.

20230813_105039.jpg

20230813_105052.jpg

20230813_105111.jpg

Agree with mine being prestonianus I have another one that was bought as prestoniana years ago as a seedling from mb palms on eBay it’s grown super well for me about 5 and half feet tall it looks a little thrashed from Winds earlier in the year which I’m finding this one to be more sensitive to wind as it get bigger probably from finally getting tall enough for the winds

to hit it any ideas Definetly different growing habits for sure . 

3806215D-F4DC-452B-80B4-037D5C115B56.jpeg

2E9CE746-7C5C-45B9-BBED-B36E4B687764.jpeg

AE485CAA-9BF9-43B3-AE35-97912C0060D6.jpeg

F01A34FB-630A-4EB6-B468-6A7AF4317AD3.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Man this looks killer right now . Yesterday I was out on the other side of the yard at 630 in the morning you could hear the spear popping from the separating very cool. This morning it looks awesome also exposed another spear . This guy took off from the start in the ground . That will be 3 fronds this year each one bigger 🤙

image.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 12:28 PM, BS Man about Palms said:

On 8/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, Tracy said:

20230813_105052.jpg

20230813_105111.jpg

After that last spear on mine opened up, the new spear that is emerging is coming out sideways... and now over the driveway near where my wife pulls her car out of the garage.  The tip already got nipped off once.  See below compared to the last leaf to open which was vertical.  I'm not sure there is anything I can do except to watch and wait.  I'm open for suggestions though.  I hate the thought that as it gets longer and sticks further out I am left with the option of trimming the offending portion off, or just waiting for my wife's car to do the job for me... which wouldn't make her happy if it scratches her paint (nor me actually).

20231001-BH3I2588.jpg

20231001-BH3I2589.jpg

20231001-BH3I2590.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

After that last spear on mine opened up, the new spear that is emerging is coming out sideways... and now over the driveway near where my wife pulls her car out of the garage.  The tip already got nipped off once.  See below compared to the last leaf to open which was vertical.  I'm not sure there is anything I can do except to watch and wait.  I'm open for suggestions though.  I hate the thought that as it gets longer and sticks further out I am left with the option of trimming the offending portion off, or just waiting for my wife's car to do the job for me... which wouldn't make her happy if it scratches her paint (nor me actually).

20231001-BH3I2588.jpg

20231001-BH3I2589.jpg

20231001-BH3I2590.jpg

That’s so excellent 

• 3 months later...

This tree is getting pretty big . Flowered but flower was pretty small and never developed first time it’s flowered . The keel in these is rediculous with the curly leaflets at the tip

image.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

This tree is getting pretty big . Flowered but flower was pretty small and never developed first time it’s flowered . The keel in these is rediculous with the curly leaflets at the tip

image.jpg

Wrong thread? I  saw no previous mention of these.

19 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Wrong thread? I  saw no previous mention of these.

Sorry !!! But sort of kind of . I’ve posted this one before it’s gotten huge . Planted as a small 5 gallon not really sure what it is . I could have swore when I got it was lutescens but I coulf of got it as madagascariensis not really sure . Came from Kevin weaver probably 4 years ago or so . 

Been on hiatus for a while on PT but man Chris that presto looks great! I think I'll need to try one myself! Decipiens definitely hates the heat here but maybe try a few and one might have the right genetics. 

1 hour ago, Chris Chance said:

Been on hiatus for a while on PT but man Chris that presto looks great! I think I'll need to try one myself! Decipiens definitely hates the heat here but maybe try a few and one might have the right genetics. 

Chris I think you should try again with the Chrysalidocarpus decipiens.  Based on the performance of Jeff's in Modesto and others, I would think you are correct about finding the right one.  Different specimens seem to perform and grow differently.

Chrysalidocarpus prestonianus would be the next best option, so try it too.  The one I have acquired as Jurassic Park seems less hardy though. Happy growing. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2023 at 10:20 AM, Tracy said:

20231001-BH3I2588.jpg

20231001-BH3I2589.jpg

20231001-BH3I2590.jpg

My large Dypsis do this from time to time at this stage. I usually gently pull the spear or frond in the opposite direction to straighten it out a bit and then tie it up that way. Seems to help correct them from doing it again. At least that’s my experience. 

• Like 1

Any ideas which this one is ? When it was young it had these type leaflets like this sucker it’s shooting right now 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Any ideas which this one is ? When it was young it had these type leaflets like this sucker it’s shooting right now 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would say that your previous guess of it being lutescens x madagascarensis is certainly looking probable based on its traits :)

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 4:31 PM, JubaeaMan138 said:

Like the title says I’m posting these as dypsis jurassic park and dypsis decipiens despite the name change . Jurassic park came from jd andersen as jurassic park had it in a 55 gallon trash can for the last 2 years . Dypsis decipiens came from Perry glen . Planted these today man it feels good to get these in the ground 

A7816054-743D-4BC4-A4ED-E3ECBFCF818A.jpeg

28F39D17-EC79-49AF-8BA6-7B93F94C3078.jpeg

551B9DFB-ABAA-4547-AC18-21F2C358090B.jpeg

Nice palms but what caught my eye in the lsast photo was what I'm guessing are 1 foot square stepping squares.  What do the cost over there?  Here at the place that MAKES THEM it's like $6 each.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

20 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Nice palms but what caught my eye in the lsast photo was what I'm guessing are 1 foot square stepping squares.  What do the cost over there?  Here at the place that MAKES THEM it's like $6 each.

Funny you bring those up. Eventually I will have a pathway through that side of the property south facing no one goes there . That’s were I have all my carribean stuff hot full sun all day zero shade . Those pavers I found buried in the yard . As im leveling the yard I find them all Over . Trying to incorporate them some how . Found 2 of these big round ones today which look Black concrete . No

clue what they cost I’m sure someone else could chime in . 

image.jpg

Maybe make them yourself? Bag of quikrete is like 4 bucks you could Probably get 2 or 3 per bag ? 

• Like 1