IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia surprises after 6F

WSimpson

I really didn't know what would happen to this Butia and its inflorescences this growing season after 6F last winter ,  but it's nice to see healthy looking inflorescences growing out . I just noticed them 10 minutes ago . I've had 3 inflorescences grow out a couple  years ago , but it's nice to see these 2  . 

Will

52875082817_93d2e9959d_b.jpg

I trimmed off the dead parts of the fronds a month ago or so . New growth is coming in nicely . I will be watering and fertilizing next week . 

52876042760_f8ae91f24e_b.jpg

• Like 11

I am glad it pulled through for you, Will. 6F isn't a fun temp to see when you have palms into which you have put a lot of effort and years.

That's amazing! Did you pile the pine straw bales around the trunk. Added heat? Are you sure that is pure Butia? The fronds have hardly no recurve. Hybrid maybe?

Nice recovery

That's a lot of leaves!

Any pre 6f pics?

17 hours ago, jwitt said:

Nice recovery

That's a lot of leaves!

Any pre 6f pics?

Here's a before picture .

52530872923_3de8f464d5_b.jpg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

That's amazing! Did you pile the pine straw bales around the trunk. Added heat? Are you sure that is pure Butia? The fronds have hardly no recurve. Hybrid maybe?

Yes ,  I did pile those bales around the trunk , but that's all the protection it got .

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

The fronds were trimmed up . All the dead was cut off which makes it look a little bit like a Phoenix of some type .

52736142527_025ceef042_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I have a palm in my yard that looks a lot like this palm.  It was sold as a Pindo palm in 2017.  The trunk isn't nearly as beefy as the butia capita growing nearby.  Mine had spear pull a couple months ago, but a healthy new spear is emerging.  Overall, the palm looks good.  The pinnate leaves on the fronds are very thin, almost lacey.  I'll post a pic tomorrow.  Temps bottomed at 11f in my location during last year's xmas freeze.  Also, my palm is planted in a poorly drained area.

• Like 1

@Will Simpson what date did it reach 6f there?  I'd like to check surrounding areas to see how their temps compared.  

I'm glad it made it!  And the chamaerops beside it.  Any fatalities?  Sorry if you've addressed this previously, I was off Palmtalk for a couple months. 

A few pics of my butia sold as pindo. I'm surprised those delicate, thin pinnate leaves stayed green after 11f. The last pic is butia capitata for comparison.

IMG_4283 (1).JPG

IMG_4284 (1).JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

• Like 3

On 5/7/2023 at 10:16 PM, Jesse PNW said:

@Will Simpson what date did it reach 6f there?  I'd like to check surrounding areas to see how their temps compared.  

I'm glad it made it!  And the chamaerops beside it.  Any fatalities?  Sorry if you've addressed this previously, I was off Palmtalk for a couple months. 

No fatalities , but the lower fronds on all my Trachys took a beating , worse than Birminghams and Palmettos . 

18 hours ago, donnacreation said:

A few pics of my butia sold as pindo. I'm surprised those delicate, thin pinnate leaves stayed green after 11f. The last pic is butia capitata for comparison.

IMG_4283 (1).JPG

IMG_4284 (1).JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

I'm glad to see that nice healthy spear growing out Donna . Pretty palm . 

Will

It's always good to see green regrowth after a spear pull.  I think we might have the same butia with very thin leaves. I can't find any butia pics online that look like my palm.  Although still small, it has very long fronds with capitata curves. I'm looking forward to seeing it take off this summer.  I hope it is the same as your striking butia.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:16 PM, Jesse PNW said:

Here's Greensboro

Screenshot_20230509-105744.png