IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pigafetta Filarus

jruffd13

Hey Everyone,  

My name is David and I am very interested in growing the pigafetta species.  I am really interested in them because they are so fast growing (that is why I love growing robusta but I heard these were even FASTER).  Is anyone willing to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me some seeds.  I am willing to pay as well.  I have looks on rarepalmseeds but they are always out of stock.  I also have a lot of robusta and sabal seeds, so I am willing to make a trade.  

Thanks! 

David

4 hours ago, jruffd13 said:

Hey Everyone,  

My name is David and I am very interested in growing the pigafetta species.  I am really interested in them because they are so fast growing (that is why I love growing robusta but I heard these were even FASTER).  Is anyone willing to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me some seeds.  I am willing to pay as well.  I have looks on rarepalmseeds but they are always out of stock.  I also have a lot of robusta and sabal seeds, so I am willing to make a trade.  

Thanks! 

David

Youd be lucky to get one, Ive had my eye on them for a long time but its a dream to get one

This palm is uber tropical - think zone 11/12. It needs constant high heat, sun and moisture, stops growing below 60F and will die if subjected to cool temps for any length of time. To my knowledge it cannot survive winter even in deepest SFL except in a conservatory but I’m not sure even then. The only source of seeds would be outside the US.

Be aware that US Customs has cracked down on plant material entering the country and requires permits and phytosanitary paperwork. As an example, RPS charges up to $200 for shipping and paperwork. But most foreign seed sellers offer nothing like that, so if Customs seizes your seeds, too bad.

And, I strongly suspect Pigafetta spp make terrible houseplants even if you could find one. 

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I bought a 1 gallon from Steve Stearns back in Dec 2108. Had in the pot for about a year, then planted in the ground. It started growing fast as I was told, it got to about 8 ft overall, then died last year. So Meg is probably right, just tough to grow outside of temperate zones. And since Steve has moved out of Homestead to north of Tampa, not sure if he would have anymore. You can check his website, but not usually up to date. Rarepalm.com

Thank you so much Barry and Palmatier Meg for this info!  I thought it would be an easy grower but Washington DC is wayyy to cold for zone 11/12! lol

1 hour ago, jruffd13 said:

Thank you so much Barry and Palmatier Meg for this info!  I thought it would be an easy grower but Washington DC is wayyy to cold for zone 11/12! lol

If you want to grow outdoor palms year round you have limited choices: needle palm, Sabal minor or some species of Trachycarpus. Be prepared to protect them if necessary. You will learn a lot by participating on the forum.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

P. filaris won't survive without full sun. It's been tried as seedlings many times in South Florida and has always died. Seedling protection=some amount of shading=loss of vitality and death. When the right conditions are met, Pigafetta grows like a rocket.

• Upvote 1

I would love to see a pigafetta time lapse in its own climate, I think it would be cool to watch

• Like 1