IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

palm stops in the Cape coral area

flplantguy

Im going to be in Cape Coral for a conference in June, part of which is to see and discuss the damage from the hurricane on the trees there.  What places are pretty close to the Westin resort that may be OK to visit?  The conference will be touring damage to trees and visiting the Edison estate, so i may pass spots along the way.  My time will be limited but im hoping to maybe score some seeds or plants for some cool palms we dont have here.

I don't spend much time in Cape Coral, but from what I've seen it's not a great place for palm spotting. Maybe some of the parks have interesting plantings but not sure.

The Edison estate is definitely the place to be, and the surrounding older neighborhoods in Fort Myers. There are also two small city parks downtown that are actually palm arboretums, a little rough especially after Ian but definitely worth visiting for a palm nerd. The first is smaller and older, go there if you only have time for one:

Vivas Palm Park -2414 Edwards Dr

Bennett-Hart Park - 2330 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd

If you wanted to buy plants downtown, Edison has a nice nursery (usually not many palms though), but also check out the Hanging Gardens a few blocks over on First street, the owner grows a lot of palms from seed. Not usually rare plants but certainly a unique place worth checking out. 

Go to Premier Growers, @PalmMom007, on south end of Pine Island, they have a very nice selection of palms. They took a lot of damage from Ian, but survived to continue on. Cory and Shelby can tell you about the impacts of the hurricane.

@PalmatierMeg is in Cape Coral, took a lot of damage from Ian, but she does sell seeds and palms from time to time.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cape Harbor has nice palms

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

I would love to help out local growers if i can, so if Premier Growers is open i would be thrilled to come in.  I may have time outside the conference to stop by too.  Their list pre-Ian was like a dream I just had no house yet.

Hi, this is Shelby from Premier Growers. Would love for you to stop by the nursery. 
give me a call 

(239) 318-0460

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PalmMom007 said:

Hi, this is Shelby from Premier Growers. Would love for you to stop by the nursery. 
give me a call 

(239) 318-0460

I will, ive already saved your contact info! The website has my wallet cringing already lol