IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Japan

Yunder Wækraus

Visited Japan for my first time and was surprised to see several palms in Tokyo. Are these anomalous ones that must be protected in winter, or is Tokyo as mild as the costal USA Pacific NW?

IMG_3268.jpeg

IMG_3264.jpeg

IMG_3231.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

They’re not protected. There are other palms and subtropicals plants growing: bougainvillea and Syagrus to name a couple. Winters can get cold but summers are hot.

The consulate of Oman in Tokyo planted a few Syagrus romanzoffiana several years ago. For what I can see in Google Maps (2019), only one has survived. You can have a look here

Edited by iko.
  • Like 6

iko.

Hi,

On 5/1/2023 at 12:43 PM, Yunder Wækraus said:

Would you say Tokyo is a USDA 9a or 8b?

hard to say.

Almost tropical summers with intense heat and very high humidity - from May until end of September - winter temps are usually within the

5C/41F-15C/59F range with some exceptions. Snow falls not regularly, just from time to time. Same latitude on Japan's west coast is a different

story - the prefectures over there have heavy snow fall every winter. The mountains in the middle of Honshu main island usually stop the snow clouds

on their way from west to east, so usually just the cold air reaches the Kanto region around Tokyo...

So, in summary, it is probably between 8a and 9a... but it is just a guess.

Btw., if you move to the south (on the eastcoast), the number of palms (mostly CIDPs, Butia & Washies) increases - in Okinawa you will even find

coconut palms and Alexander palms... 

Lars

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add some thoughts and terrible photos here. I also visited Japan for the first time recently, but perhaps had different expectations than @Yunder Wækraus. I was surprised just how few palms I saw, especially given the climate of Tokyo and other large cities in Southern Japan (Osaka/Nara) was unexpectedly mild. 

Trachy-crop.thumb.jpg.4036340b72ff2e5a224fd3ea6a0134f8.jpg

Trachies were by far the most common palm, easily 10x more common than anything else, both in commercial and home landscapes. They also seemed to be naturalizing everywhere they grew. 

Everything else was equally uncommon, but in no particular order I also saw Phoenix canariensis (photo from Osaka), Chamaerops (Tokyo), Butia (Tokyo), Rhapis (Osaka), Washingtonia hybrids (Osaka, literally the only one I saw in person - there was one planting in Hamamatsu I saw from the train), and P. roebelenii (Osaka, no pic).

Phoenix-crop.thumb.jpg.6c08ca15e89a8544b05d1a53a7c92cf6.jpg

Butia-crop.thumb.jpg.ff6c53aa1fb9c3933b65d035c19002a8.jpg

Rhapis-crop.thumb.jpg.def4beb760a3816bf91597e7f30f53d3.jpg

Washingtonia-crop.thumb.jpg.0c9c4f203f9f9a30a7f4ea9bfd95b659.jpg

The biggest surprise was what else was growing without protection. Tama zoo which probably doesn't get the full effect of Tokyo's urban heat island had several gardens of Aloes and a few large toothbrush-style Grevilleas, solid 9b/10a plants. Based on this evidence, I agree with the zones shown in this map (https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-japan-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php).

Aloes-crop.thumb.jpg.911590012b3ea247db28153fbe7d79b9.jpg

Grevillea-crop.thumb.jpg.31e06831ed5649bb63eba5e62b8d2499.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, thyerr01 said:

The biggest surprise was what else was growing without protection. Tama zoo which probably doesn't get the full effect of Tokyo's urban heat island had several gardens of Aloes and a few large toothbrush-style Grevilleas, solid 9b/10a plants. Based on this evidence, I agree with the zones shown in this map (https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-japan-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php).

Aloes-crop.thumb.jpg.911590012b3ea247db28153fbe7d79b9.jpg

Looks like a couple of Strelitzia between the aloes too. Probably, young S. juncea.

• Like 1

iko.

Last time I flew into Tokyo it was literally right on freezing 0C/32F and snowing. Amazing that I’ve seen Phoenix roebellinii growing there unprotected and undamaged among other palms not traditionally known as super cold hardy. I think Tokyo’s growing season helps a lot of palms grow well outside of cold spells. Arenga engleri look great, whereas for me they are slow and much less robust despite less severe cold. 

For palm lovers, if you’re visiting Tokyo, Yumenoshima Tropical Greenhouse Dome is worth a look. 

• Like 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:43 PM, Yunder Wækraus said:

Would you say Tokyo is a USDA 9a or 8b?

Central Tokyo? 9b. Outskirts are 9a. It's rather cold for 9b though. I would safely say it's milder than the majority of the PNW.

It's pretty much the same hardiness zone as London. Has a strong UHI too, there are probably 10a microclimates just like London. Might be more favourable given hotter summers. Last time I went there in the summer it was just miserable 😛

Anything filibusta and up is pretty much bulletproof. There are long term canaries/filibusta in Koto and the area around Disneysea.

Record low is 15f, a little warmer than Corpus' record in December 1989. Not bad for averages similar to 8a Virginia Beach.

Edited by poof
  • Like 1

6a toronto/10b los angeles