IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royal palms in Portugal

Alex High

Hello all,

I was in Lisbon this past summer and spotted two gorgeous, healthy royal palms from the highway on my way to the airport. Sadly I didn't have time to snap a picture but I found them on Google Maps. Clearly they do well there, I am curious if anyone knows of other royals or tropical palms in Portugal. Sadly many of the CIDP I saw were being ravaged by the red palm weevil, I hope something can be done to stop or manage them. Thankfully they don't seem to attack many other species.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7578096,-9.1671941,3a,15y,59.52h,93.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s48y18479QbzlFYujyGv_Zw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

image.thumb.png.3a7dc01a928531a1a495bd3b3fa0d145.png

image.thumb.png.b01a94bcf24146de6fe4d2b103583365.png

• Like 10

4 hours ago, PaPalmTree said:

they look really good

Beauties for sure! Makes you wonder how many others may be lurking around Lisbon and Portugal in general, they clearly do well there! I always wish they were planted more in warm Mediterranean climates, the ones I see there usually look fantastic like these! Here are some nice ones I saw in Balboa Park, San Diego on my recent trip to California. Bonus shot of massive Ficus roots in Palm Canyon!

image.thumb.png.278f02ce937605f9f7feb8c9aa43a94f.pngimage.thumb.png.4c89dcf425d22fbe20513d97828a7d09.pngimage.thumb.png.b2de04b1693ed73e25b9117e6279ce13.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

So unfair that they don't survive in Athens.. except for one single specimen near the sea.

• Like 2

previously known as ego

1 hour ago, ego said:

So unfair that they don't survive in Athens.. except for one single specimen near the sea.

So much you know!

7 hours ago, ego said:

6 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

So much you know!

Definitely worth trying in Athens, you should plant some! I recently got a video of a nice one in San Jose in Northern California, which has similar winter temperatures to Athens. It's not looking its best after the cold, rainy winter they've had but it's been there for many years and usually looks quite good.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ego said:

Maybe if a few growers in Athens planted some seedlings in good microclimates near the sea there might be a few more around.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ego said:

It has spent all winter totally unprotected.

20230211_175646.jpg

• Like 6

They do well for me in Alicante, this photo is from just after winter, they grow quick and look great through summer 🌴

32AA1B49-60A5-405A-9BFF-699E911AC290.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

It has spent all winter totally unprotected.

20230211_175646.jpg

That's outside Athens, right? To the SE. I believe the SE Athens riviera would probably be fine for them but the city of Athens? Lisbon has 2 C higher temperatures than central Athens in the winter btw. 

How many winters has yours spent outside unprotected?

Mine has just started producing its first true leaf finally, after 1 year in the cotyledon phase.

Edited by ego
  • Like 1

previously known as ego

3 hours ago, ego said:

That's outside Athens, right? To the SE. I believe the SE Athens riviera would probably be fine for them but the city of Athens? Lisbon has 2 C higher temperatures than central Athens in the winter btw. 

How many winters has yours spent outside unprotected?

Mine has just started producing its first true leaf finally, after 1 year in the cotyledon phase.

Actually downtown is much hotter than the area of my garden, which is  of the coldest spots (given location and altitude) in Attica! Western hoods and suburbs are hotter, southern hoods and suburbs are hotter, you should not confuse lack of space for private gardens with adverse climate. Even my north facing balcony on the north slope of the Lycabettus hill has a higher  average temperature than my garden in the SE.  Now if we are considering northern and northwestern or northeastern suburbs (e.g. Penteli, Dionysos), yes those are colder indeed. This was the second winter, it has spent without protection. First one had been many years ago, just after germination! During the whole interim time it had been overwintering without any exception in my cold frame (=unheated greenhouse)

• Like 2

Glorious pictures! Keep them coming.

Dang @bubba

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We do seem to have a similar climate here in Alicante:

image.thumb.png.7a40358c4426e66287835f958e7e5ae5.pngimage.thumb.png.575760f29d4663ef5e155ede7e3c0a02.png

Here are a few other of my royals crownshafts, I do try and give them plenty of water! 

image.thumb.jpeg.c5e773c2dd4bcd1a6aa97932e16bc89c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e2e4ddb47b9d782d055973b48eee27d2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.85794d4a61669aec7fe1e5e7a5133a43.jpeg

• Like 3

On 4/26/2023 at 11:01 PM, Phoenikakias said:

Actually downtown is much hotter than the area of my garden, which is  of the coldest spots (given location and altitude) in Attica! Western hoods and suburbs are hotter, southern hoods and suburbs are hotter, you should not confuse lack of space for private gardens with adverse climate. Even my north facing balcony on the north slope of the Lycabettus hill has a higher  average temperature than my garden in the SE.  Now if we are considering northern and northwestern or northeastern suburbs (e.g. Penteli, Dionysos), yes those are colder indeed. This was the second winter, it has spent without protection. First one had been many years ago, just after germination! During the whole interim time it had been overwintering without any exception in my cold frame (=unheated greenhouse)

How about the minima in your area and in central Athens? How do they compare? 

This year's winter was quite mild. Do you reckon it will survive a harsher winter too? 

My Roystonea only has 1 leaf still so it will take some time before I have a chance to test it outdoors during a winter...

• Like 1

previously known as ego

8 minutes ago, ego said:

How about the minima in your area and in central Athens? How do they compare? 

This year's winter was quite mild. Do you reckon it will survive a harsher winter too? 

My Roystonea only has 1 leaf still so it will take some time before I have a chance to test it outdoors during a winter...

Average minimum is higher in my Athenian hood. Whether the ATM is lower in Athens, is not a matter of immediate concern. We have had a freaky cold spell during 2004, the odds are against a reoccurence so soon.

It is not the same situation an outplanted royal and one still growing in a pot. I would be very restraint exposing its root zone to winter air temp.

• Like 2

I think there are some more Roystonea regia, or they used to be, in Parque das Naçōes (Lisbon). I have been reading about Roystoneas out of their "comfort zone" for a while and I once read about a small one planted in Vigo, Northern Spain, not far from the border with Portugal. 

Modesty aside, I believe I am growing the northernmost Roystonea regia in the world, north of Valencia. I am happy if someone proves me wrong but I couldn't find proof yet. I have shared my experience in this thread.

I think this palm could grow further north from mine; in other locations in Portugal; or in Athens, more than the one planted in Voula

image.thumb.jpeg.204847acd880d4f51016e5167df85416.jpeg

Regarding the original question made by OP, there may be more tropical palms in Lisbon. I spotted Adonidia and even a small coconut in a pot several years ago. I can't tell for how long they were outdoors but it was early spring. It looked like people who enjoyed gardening not really palm fans*. 

*In my opinion, a palm fan usually has an eclectic mix of palms in the garden, not just one or two. 

Edited by iko.
  • Like 3

iko.

On 4/24/2023 at 5:11 PM, Alex High said:

Hello all,

I was in Lisbon this past summer and spotted two gorgeous, healthy royal palms from the highway on my way to the airport. Sadly I didn't have time to snap a picture but I found them on Google Maps. Clearly they do well there, I am curious if anyone knows of other royals or tropical palms in Portugal. Sadly many of the CIDP I saw were being ravaged by the red palm weevil, I hope something can be done to stop or manage them. Thankfully they don't seem to attack many other species.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7578096,-9.1671941,3a,15y,59.52h,93.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s48y18479QbzlFYujyGv_Zw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Hi guys, 

I have been collecting photos these last months of every palm trees in the city and surroundings and I took a few pictures of the two Royal palms you mentionned in a private yard just right next to the highway: 

image.thumb.png.52942553519563236737c2f1d2438c2f.png

image.png.190c0ee30eae20dd40fb5760f133b59c.png

There are other Royal palms in the city (three that I know of). Two in a public park by the river Tagus in Parque das Nações, and another one outside a nightclub (Lust in Rio) near Cais do Sodré:

image.png.2cfe2435d693075d69808f23f74053d3.png

image.png.9fbc098b09042cfee62eb9396cb37298.png

image.png.6b478cbe1bddc3a7e81c1daf105d619d.png

image.png.165cea1beb7d8ee05a9ab5ecdd126f29.png

Here is a list of species I have been gathering these last months in Lisbon: 

Most common palms (order by occurence):

• Phoenix canariensis (once predominant in the city,  present in every parks, gardens, avenues and even became subspontaneous and started colonizing bushes and abandoned land. Now facing extinction due to the red palm weevil) 
  • Washingtonia robusta (also affected by the red weevil)
  • Phoenix dactylifera (the second most affected palm, next on the list after the Canary date palm) 
  • Washingtonia filifera (also affected by the red weevil)
  • Chamaerops humilis (once spontaneous in the region, it is now extinct in the wild and widely used as an ornamental)
  • Syagrus romanzoffiana 
  • Howea forsteriana
  • Livistona chinensis
  • Brahea armata
  • Trachycarpus fortunei
  • Phoenix reclinata 
  • Livistona australis

Other species present in the region (alphabetical order):

• Archontophoenix alexandrae 
  • Archontophoenix cunninghamiana 
  • Arenga pinnata
  • Bismarckia nobilis
  • Brahea edulis
  • Butia capitata
  • Chamaedorea pochutlensis
  • Dypsis decaryi
  • Dypsis lutescens
  • Howea belmoreana
  • Jubaea chilensis
  • Phoenix roebelenii
  • Phoenix rupicola
  • Phoenix sylvestris
  • Ravenea rivularis
  • Rhopalostylis baueri
  • Roystonea regia 
  • Sabal bermudana
  • Sabal minor
  • Sabal palmetto 

It is well documented that Lisbon has widely cultivated palms since the XIX century, but its first presence might probably date back to when the city was a Phoenician settlement. Phoenicia was an ancient civilization originating in the Levant region of the eastern Mediterranean, primarily located in modern Lebanon. They ruled the Mediterranean and expanded their culture and influence to all their possessions. For instance, they brought the first olive trees and probably the first date palms (phoenix dactylifera) in the region.

Until 2010, palm trees were part of the city's landscape, especially the Canary date palms which had been cultivated in the country since the conquest of the Canary islands (a large number of colons were Portuguese). It was at first a mark of wealth and social status: every rich owners in the XIX century had at least one adult specimen in their private gardens. Then, people started to cultivate them in parks, public gardens and avenues. You could see huge date palms almost everywhere in the city. 

Aucune description de photo disponible.

Unfortunately, the red palm weevil arrived in Portugal in 2007 and almost wiped out every Canary date palms in Lisbon (and in the country). Local authorities took little to no actions in order to protect them and hundreds of centenarian date palms were left to die. The situation was so out of control that they decided to implement restrictions. Nowadays, you need the authorities' approval if you want to plant palms in public spaces. They don't even substitute the dead palms with the same or other species. Instead, they plant temperate trees that you would usually see in Northern Europe. Worse now, the beetle started attacking the date palms and Washingtonias. Therefore, the number of palm trees in the city decreases every year until one day they go extinct.  

Before vs now: 

image.thumb.png.44f9c4ccab7790157bd58a44d10c6ed4.png

image.thumb.png.b67f582963a412042266edb62a0ab9ad.png

Diretorio de contactos - Informações e Serviços

Jornal Médico - OM visita Hospital Egas Moniz já amanhã

Surto no hospital Egas Moniz obriga a transferir doentes

Lisboa ConVida - Jardim do Campo Grande

image.thumb.png.7dfa81b47e79d305bca94f8dc26546db.png

Edited by Pargomad
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Pargomad said:

Hi guys, 

I have been collecting photos these last months of every palm trees in the city and surroundings and I took a few pictures of the two Royal palms you mentionned in a private yard just right next to the highway: 

image.thumb.png.52942553519563236737c2f1d2438c2f.png

image.png.190c0ee30eae20dd40fb5760f133b59c.png

There are other Royal palms in the city (three that I know of). Two in a public park by the river Tagus in Parque das Nações, and another one outside a nightclub (Lust in Rio) near Cais do Sodré:

image.png.2cfe2435d693075d69808f23f74053d3.png

image.png.9fbc098b09042cfee62eb9396cb37298.png

image.png.6b478cbe1bddc3a7e81c1daf105d619d.png

image.png.165cea1beb7d8ee05a9ab5ecdd126f29.png

Here is a list of species I have been gathering these last months in Lisbon: 

Most common palms (order by occurence):

• Phoenix canariensis (once predominant in the city,  present in every parks, gardens, avenues and even became subspontaneous and started colonizing bushes and abandoned land. Now facing extinction due to the red palm weevil) 
  • Washingtonia robusta (also affected by the red weevil)
  • Phoenix dactylifera (the second most affected palm, next on the list after the Canary date palm) 
  • Washingtonia filifera (also affected by the red weevil)
  • Chamaerops humilis (once spontaneous in the region, it is now extinct in the wild and widely used as an ornamental)
  • Syagrus romanzoffiana 
  • Howea forsteriana
  • Livistona chinensis
  • Brahea armata
  • Trachycarpus fortunei
  • Phoenix reclinata 
  • Livistona australis

Other species present in the region (alphabetical order):

• Archontophoenix alexandrae 
  • Archontophoenix cunninghamiana 
  • Arenga pinnata
  • Bismarckia nobilis
  • Brahea edulis
  • Butia capitata
  • Chamaedorea pochutlensis
  • Dypsis decaryi
  • Dypsis lutescens
  • Howea belmoreana
  • Jubaea chilensis
  • Phoenix roebelenii
  • Phoenix rupicola
  • Phoenix sylvestris
  • Ravenea rivularis
  • Rhopalostylis baueri
  • Roystonea regia 
  • Sabal bermudana
  • Sabal minor
  • Sabal palmetto 

It is well documented that Lisbon has widely cultivated palms since the XIX century, but its first presence might probably date back to when the city was a Phoenician settlement. Phoenicia was an ancient civilization originating in the Levant region of the eastern Mediterranean, primarily located in modern Lebanon. They ruled the Mediterranean and expanded their culture and influence to all their possessions. For instance, they brought the first olive trees and probably the first date palms (phoenix dactylifera) in the region.

Until 2010, palm trees were part of the city's landscape, especially the Canary date palms which had been cultivated in the country since the conquest of the Canary islands (a large number of colons were Portuguese). It was at first a mark of wealth and social status: every rich owners in the XIX century had at least one adult specimen in their private gardens. Then, people started to cultivate them in parks, public gardens and avenues. You could see huge date palms almost everywhere in the city. 

Unfortunately, the red palm weevil arrived in Portugal in 2007 and almost wiped out every Canary date palms in Lisbon (and in the country). Local authorities took little to no actions in order to protect them and hundreds of centenarian date palms were left to die. The situation was so out of control that they decided to implement restrictions. Nowadays, you need the authorities' approval if you want to plant palms in public spaces. They don't even substitute the dead palms with the same or other species. Instead, they plant temperate trees that you would usually see in Northern Europe. Worse now, the beetle started attacking the date palms and Washingtonias. Therefore, the number of palm trees in the city decreases every year until one day they go extinct.  

Before vs now: 

image.thumb.png.44f9c4ccab7790157bd58a44d10c6ed4.png

image.thumb.png.b67f582963a412042266edb62a0ab9ad.png

Diretorio de contactos - Informações e Serviços

Jornal Médico - OM visita Hospital Egas Moniz já amanhã

Surto no hospital Egas Moniz obriga a transferir doentes

Lisboa ConVida - Jardim do Campo Grande

image.thumb.png.7dfa81b47e79d305bca94f8dc26546db.png

Thanks for sharing all this, this is exactly what I was looking for, great information! Thanks for sharing the recent pictures of those royal palms as well as the other ones, and thanks for sharing the different species cultivated there. That is absolutely tragic about the red palm weevil, I remember seeing lots of Canary Island date palms suffering from it when I was there. In California they are dealing with a similar weevil, the South American palm weevil, which is not as widespread but is killing CIDPs in and around San Diego. I hope one day a solution will be found and Lisbon and other cities will replant and regain their former palmy glory. Is there anything being done currently to try to combat the weevils? Thanks again for sharing all that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pargomad said:

This really makes my heart ache. Same is happening here. Athens was once full of date palms, nowadays a few date palms and canaries are left but the weevil is killing them one by one. The local authorities I bet will follow Lisbon's example. Such an iconic tree of the Mediterranean will become a rarity. I imagine in the future when the bl@@dy weevil is dealt with somehow, the palms will come back into the city landscape thanks to their appeal, but it may be after our lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

previously known as ego

13 minutes ago, ego said:

This really makes my heart ache. Same is happening here. Athens was once full of date palms, nowadays a few date palms and canaries are left but the weevil is killing them one by one. The local authorities I bet will follow Lisbon's example. Such an iconic tree of the Mediterranean will become a rarity. I imagine in the future when the bl@@dy weevil is dealt with somehow, the palms will come back into the city landscape thanks to their appeal, but it may be after our lifetime.

Unless a way is found to get the palm weevils under control I can imagine them almost disappearing from the Mediterranean region. Hopefully these don't end up spreading here and taking out the CIDPS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

Unless a way is found to get the palm weevils under control I can imagine them almost disappearing from the Mediterranean region. Hopefully these don't end up spreading here and taking out the CIDPS.

How about avermectine?

previously known as ego

1 minute ago, Foxpalms said:

Yes but are most people going to treat their palms? 

Well if they care they should. I don't know how expensive it is though. 

• Like 1

previously known as ego

10 minutes ago, ego said:

Well if they care they should. I don't know how expensive it is though. 

I agree, but I think the problem is its going to impossible to get rid of them because unfortunately I don't think enough people care. 

2 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

I agree, but I think the problem is its going to impossible to get rid of them because unfortunately I don't think enough people care. 

True. I read somewhere that some palms have been found to be resistant. If that is true, they will survive and spread their genes.

• Like 1

previously known as ego

I have been reading this thread. I think it is cool you can grow Roystonea in these Mediterranean areas. And given how the weevil is decimating your other large palms, maybe trying things like Roystonea is a good idea. Roystonea face many a palm weevil in their native ranges. This is why it is always good to be trying different things and pushing the zone. There is something similar happening in my area. Lethal bronzing has taken out many native Sabal palms… but not all by any means. Darwinism in action lol. And, honorable mention must go to all the feral Phoenix palms hybridized with Pygmy date palms that pop up all over the place around here that don’t seem to mind lethal bronzing. Most Pygmy dates seem to be resistant to lethal bronzing for whatever reason. Anyway, I hope your areas remain palmy even if not with the traditional palms. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

14 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

I have been reading this thread. I think it is cool you can grow Roystonea in these Mediterranean areas. And given how the weevil is decimating your other large palms, maybe trying things like Roystonea is a good idea. Roystonea face many a palm weevil in their native ranges. This is why it is always good to be trying different things and pushing the zone. There is something similar happening in my area. Lethal bronzing has taken out many native Sabal palms… but not all by any means. Darwinism in action lol. And, honorable mention must go to all the feral Phoenix palms hybridized with Pygmy date palms that pop up all over the place around here that don’t seem to mind lethal bronzing. Most Pygmy dates seem to be resistant to lethal bronzing for whatever reason. Anyway, I hope your areas remain palmy even if not with the traditional palms. 

Phoenix hybrids are also quite resistant to rpw.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Phoenix hybrids are also quite resistant to rpw.

What factors do you know about this? Like, I imagine dactylifera x canariensis hybrids are more resistant than pure canariensis, but what about a pure dacty? I'd guess hybrids in general are probably on the general more resistant, but are some more than others?

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:56 AM, ego said:

Well, I think it depends a lot. I once thought every place in the Mediterranean would be just like Lisbon now, it’s the same insect so logically one would expect the same impact. But I realized it wasn’t the case at all. 
I went to Spain and the South of France and I was surprised by the amount of CDP and other palms thriving there. In Spain specially, there are avenues full of them (growing side by side with date palms). After that, I went to Google street view and compared the same places I saw in real life with photos dating back to 2009. There’s almost no difference at all, which shows the locals’ efficiency in eradicating and controlling this plague. So, I think the outcome depends mainly on two factors: interest and money. 

Here you can see what it is like in Spanish cities closed to the Portuguese border. 

Ayamonte 2009 vs 2022

image.thumb.png.b9f75d0279b8346baf9f96ccf562510d.png

image.thumb.png.d727686c562e66ffc08ec6a9e4a58b83.png

Huelva 2009 vs 2022

image.thumb.png.55b6ee84fe1155d5468ba55895218fa3.png

image.thumb.png.6cfdf1c7d43fb5859d4079444b0df39c.png

Badajoz 2009 vs 2021

image.thumb.png.0bb9306500dc1ecfeb3e77b356e40eae.png

image.thumb.png.42dcd04a29e52dc6f0ae7ed720874e5a.png

Olivenza 2011 vs 2021

image.thumb.png.0a28398dc6d1fd012736ce6643940b56.png

image.thumb.png.d22d5650dcefc9beeb92066dbf35a23b.png

Now Portugal:

Cascais (near Lisbon) 2009 vs 2023

image.thumb.png.ed36a783f93fb93d4e9267e2ad34a293.png

image.thumb.png.1c7602b47aab840a4d24f453de1effa2.png

Estoril (near Lisbon) 2009 vs 2023

image.thumb.png.7c77626437f90113c23b1df7df4b88a3.png

image.thumb.png.85677c345be32f16220e215de14fc20c.png

Caxias (near Lisbon) 2009 vs 2023

image.thumb.png.99e9110744ef3603d416ad48933ed458.png

image.thumb.png.9b4499ab4564232d22fc33b753e5457a.png

Armação de Pêra 2014 vs 2021

image.thumb.png.1a8547de1a0f3f6670c0f9f49e945262.png

image.thumb.png.1cf1889582856323ff81ecdbd8c9803d.png

If we compare Spain with Portugal, we can see a huge difference regarding ornamental gardening: Spain uses a lot of exotic (mainly subtropical and even tropical) trees for parks, avenues. Date palms (Phoenix dactylifera) are definitely royalty there, but CDP are also used. The latter is way more vulnerable to the red palm weevil than the former. The Spaniards feel more concerned and connected to palms. You can find dozens palms in just one tiny street. 

In contrast, Portuguese people used to cultivate CDP in abundance in contrast with date palms, which were/are not so used as an ornamental. For one adult date palm you would find 30 mature CDP,  which is quite the opposite of Spain. Furthermore, the Portuguese people don’t use palms as ornamentals as much as their neighbors. They tend to grow shadow trees and they don’t care about where they come from. They can grow subtropical and tropical trees along with Mediterranean and even Temperate trees that you would find in cities like London or Brussels (especially in Lisbon). In fact, you can find avenues of Poplars or London Plane trees right next to the beach whereas other Mediterranean countries would select palm trees. Moreover, a significant part of the population hates palm trees and sees them as just as some strange aberration. The rest just doesn’t show any interest and simply doesn’t care, they feel more attached to olive trees and pine trees than palms. In fact, in the last few years, there’s been a new “movement” that consists in using only local trees (or what they consider as local) as ornamentals: olive trees are planted everywhere (even on Madeira island), oak trees, deciduous trees and pinus are the new palms here. So Lisbon (and the rest of the country) every year is losing its palms and getting a more and more “temperate” look just like Lyon or Paris. 

Typical urban Spanish avenue in Valencia with date palms and Mediterranean/subtropical trees.

image.thumb.png.d9a11fea58d1a4a355df375207e5f847.png

image.thumb.png.d91611e3a427fc5ef96a7a3f07aafffc.png

image.thumb.png.115930cdced501d5164d2d0024480e31.png

Lisbon, same climate, same latitude, but with mostly temperate trees that can grow in Switzerland:

image.thumb.png.8b2009c24793447561e024e4e5ed81d8.png

image.thumb.png.214ee8064568dbf0c9d016420c38838e.png

image.thumb.png.6717cd18422c5a3cb29b82181369adf1.png

There’s also a financial component in this situation: palms have become too expensive to maintain. When the red weevil palm started to wipe out every CDP, a lot of the private owners didn’t do anything as the treatment was too expensive than losing the tree. In public spaces, they only really started to take measures in 2014 when the plague was already uncontrollable. Parks, botanical gardens, avenues and yards lost their CDP and date palms in a matter of months. The authorities stopped renewing the population and subsequently started planting deciduous and cheaper trees instead. Sometimes, when there was an infected palm in a group, they would remove every palm trees in the area even if they weren't sick.

Lisbon: Some of the CDP were infected so they decided to remove every palm trees, even the magnificent date palms that weren't infected. 

image.thumb.png.52aec968edc812dd0c47a92ddd13f6f6.png
For instance, Cascais (a very touristy city next to Lisbon) has a list of species that are protected by the city and palm trees were part of it until 2014. So they were forced to take care of them and keep them alive. Nevertheless, when they figured it would be too expensive for them (being a touristy city it had a lot of palm trees) they just removed them from the list so they wouldn’t be compelled to do anything. Nevertheless, nature is trying to fight back as a lot of juvenile and subspontaneous CDP try to survive around the city, just like their progenitors did before the plague. 

Subspontaneous CDP near Lisbon, they were the first victims when the rpw arrived in the region. 

image.thumb.png.c3dedb867e2f9da970516a0a44103a79.png

Juvenile CDP sprouting and growing in abandoned land or bushes, not far from their dead relatives. 

image.thumb.png.ce80d845008868d587465a429e169db3.png

Quinta Braamcamp/Barreiro | limaramada | Manuel Ramada | Flickr

In conclusion, the beetle isn't the only guilty party here...  We can definitely blame the Portuguese authorities for what happened to the palm trees and for their poor landscape management. 

image.png

image.png

Edited by Pargomad
  • Like 4

Interesting. I think Greek authorities follow a similar to approach to the Portuguese one unfortunately. And there is so little awareness. Today I saw an old and beautiful date tree trimmed excessively. Obviously the owners don't know that the smell of cut leaves attracts the weevil. There has been no information campaign at all.  Sad

• Like 2

previously known as ego

I was surprised to see very large ficus elastica and also jacaranda in Porto last May.  Orange bird of paradise and some species of protea also flourished in home gardens. This to me signals a virtually frost-free climate where surely they should be trying more Archontonphoenix and royals. It’s not terribly hot in summer depending the distance from the Atlantic (which has warmest winter minimums), but more royals would be fun to try if the locals find the sweet-spots with warmest summers/winter combination. 

• Like 2

Obliging DD on a few extra Royal shots circa 26.7° latitude N:4AF490ED-1290-4D58-8264-6656D7811BAC.thumb.jpeg.cf59e22cebfd3af8dbf56f0bf63540fd.jpeg

• Like 2

What you look for is what is looking

Got a good surge of rain from a heavy thunderstorm earlier but it cleared up:AFF587F1-CB56-4D60-AE07-BD6855625B5E.thumb.jpeg.dea25993e17f71e6cc148b4b648eea1f.jpeg

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking