IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

San Diego Cycad Collection for Sale (138 Plants)

SanDiegoCycadCollection

Hi - I am in the process of purchasing a home in San Diego, California, and the prior owner (now deceased) was an avid Cycad collector. 

The property contains around 140 mature Cycad plants, many of which appear to be rare.

I've attached an inventory of these plants, and related photos of each.

Please note that the prior owner identified the name of each plant (which is the basis of the inventory list), so I do not know if any of these plants may be misidentified.

I have no use for these plants are would like to sell the entire collection in one transaction.

The buyer would be responsible for removing all of the plants from the property (including removing those that are in the ground).

I am asking $50,000 OBO for the entire collection. 

Please feel free to contact me if you are interested or have any questions.

Thank you.

Plant Images.pdf Plant List.pdf

• Like 1

Incredible collection and a beautiful, professional job, cataloging! :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Nice group of plants.  Some of the names are wrong for what you have pictured, and you might keep in mind that it will take dramatic and expensive effort to move a lot of those plants.  Digging them and moving them will likely cause damage to things that you might not expect.  Plants like these are worth a lot more when they are already dug and in movable pots/boxes, but also cycad prices and demand are on the decline.  I'm not trying to discourage you, but just want you to be aware.  Best luck with your sale.

I think your best option would be to sell them to Phil Bergman.    junglemusic.net.  Phil has the infrastructure and employee resources to effect this transaction quickly.  :)

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

Quite a collection! What a monumental effort to dig and move all these plants — hopefully they find new homes and you get a few bucks for your troubles. 

Cycad collectors always tout that their plants are investments for the future. Times like this makes you realize the faults in this logic. Unless you dig/box your collection ahead of time and only collect the rarest and most desirable species, the payoff is not that great in the end. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies/input.

As it relates to removal, fortunately, a majority of the collection is in pots or boxes.

Great collection and well organized!

Most photos are labeled correctly 

trucking will be the biggest challenge 

Kind regards, Kawika

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if there were any updates on the collection?? Too much stuff for the average plant hobbyist, but I’m sure they will be sold to one of the big cycad dealers, then sold as individual plants. 

If you ever sell in smaller quantities, I’m sure you’d find plenty of interest!

• 2 weeks later...

Selling to jungle music will make you cry if you visit the website post purchase and see the markup that will be added to your plants. Think about reaching out to the Hubers instead and selling with their help.  Or better yet, keep them all as most look super healthy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 123palmtree said:

Selling to jungle music will make you cry if you visit the website post purchase and see the markup that will be added to your plants. Think about reaching out to the Hubers instead and selling with their help.  Or better yet, keep them all as most look super healthy!

Parts of the collections they buy can take them years to sell and make their investment back. They are a business. If the seller is wanting fast cash, thats likely one of a few routes. They could also identify the rarer, more valuable cycads and list them individually. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 123palmtree said:

Better yet, Donate / Sell to the Zoo, Balboa Park,  ..and/or..  San Diego Botanical ..So everyone can enjoy ..and learn..  about them,  not just those who can brag about how much they spent to buy one.

• Like 4

I’m aware that they are a business; in that regard they charge a huge and over inflated mark-up on all of their plants.  I doubt the poster needs quick cash give one can see how close the ocean is to their new house.  

• Upvote 1

You guys just contradicted yourselves and each other on every talking point and then gave each others thumbs up about it.  Classic. I won’t ruin this for sale thread any further. 

1 minute ago, Meangreen94z said:

You guys just contradicted yourselves and each other on every talking point and then gave each others thumbs up about it.  Classic. I won’t ruin this for sale thread any further. 

Seriously, they're plants, not a car / other materialistic / macho guy " status item ".. 🤣👎 

While in the end it is the poster's choice to sell, if they choose to. They're PLANTS..  FAR  more valuable as a botanical/ ecological/  conservation-oriented teaching tool -for all-  than in your backyard.. Full stop.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Seriously, they're plants, not a car / other materialistic / macho guy " status item ".. 🤣👎

Say whaaaaat???  Them's fightin' words!  :D :D :D

Back on topic, I thought Jungle Music when I first saw the photos.  I've seen the variety of jobs where they've taken large collections out of the ground and potted them for sale.  The boxed cycads in the OP's collection should be easy...with a forklift or bobcat.  But some of them likely weigh 1000lb and aren't trivial to move around, especially with other landscaping between the cycads and the street. 

1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

Say whaaaaat???  Them's fightin' words!  :D :D :D

Back on topic, I thought Jungle Music when I first saw the photos.  I've seen the variety of jobs where they've taken large collections out of the ground and potted them for sale.  The boxed cycads in the OP's collection should be easy...with a forklift or bobcat.  But some of them likely weigh 1000lb and aren't trivial to move around, especially with other landscaping between the cycads and the street. 

Lets go ...lol..

12 hours ago, 123palmtree said:

Phil Bergman is one of the the few palm vendors that is a true business, with employees, payroll, W-2 and sales tax compliance,  compliance with all pesticide and pest protocols, rent for a commercial property etc.  He also spent $30-40,000 for a large reverse osmosis system for irrigation and he has a large box truck for delivery.

Compare his overhead with someone selling palms out of their backyard.

I used to complain about his pricing, but no longer.   :)  

( I agree that cycad prices are extreme, but that's determined by the market, not Phil !)  :D  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

13 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Lets go ...lol..

All i'll say is i'm glad some people had the right idea when Dr. Young's incredible Cycad collection Didn't end up sitting in some nursery for a few people to drool all over, instead serving the purpose  they were ment to ..to teach  by ending up at Kopsick,  ...where any and everyone can enjoy them for as long as the plants will live, vs. being horded by a few.

As i said, Free country, so the seller can do what he feels is right -for him   ...Know which way i'd go if in the same situation however.. 

https://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/heirs-to-beach-park-art-collection-of-rare-cycads-are-moved-to-save-it/2174697/

• Upvote 1

@Phil Jungle Music is prolly one of the few people that it even makes sense to buy a collection of this magnitude. If the op wants to make an easier transaction they go with JM. No way does someone who spent the money on this property not alteast try to get some of there money back. 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

9 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Phil Bergman is one of the the few palm vendors that is a true business, with employees, payroll, W-2 and sales tax compliance,  compliance with all pesticide and pest protocols, rent for a commercial property etc.  He also spent $30-40,000 for a large reverse osmosis system for irrigation and he has a large box truck for delivery.

Compare his overhead with someone selling palms out of their backyard.

I used to complain about his pricing, but no longer.   :)  

( I agree that cycad prices are extreme, but that's determined by the market, not Phil !)  :D  

I've agree with Darold about Phil's business model. I've "saved" months of delay by purchasing Phil's potted palms that don't "sulk" for weeks/months like those sent bareroot that need to be repotted at destination. At my age, I don't have decades to wait for more mature palms!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hillizard said:

I've agree with Darold about Phil's business model. I've "saved" months of delay by purchasing Phil's potted palms that don't "sulk" for weeks/months like those sent bareroot that need to be repotted at destination. At my age, I don't have decades to wait for more mature palms!

Yeah I just stopped by there a few weeks ago and picked up 2 palms I've been looking for for over a year. Considering how slow growing and rare they are the price was pretty fair. They're both also very healthy, if he had more at that size I would have bought all of them. 

• Like 2

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

On 5/15/2023 at 5:21 AM, Merlyn said:

The boxed cycads in the OP's collection should be easy...with a forklift or bobcat

When cycad collectors have enough room to drive a forklift or a bobcat through, they plant more cycads there. 🙂

The plants can and will be moved out. It would be so cool if the moving could be filmed, at least parts of the job. Then more people might have an appreciation for the amount of work it takes. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 12:49 PM, Kokioula said:

Big jobs equal big satisfaction 

70155957351__23B2CA95-A59F-42F6-927E-77A8A4554F8F.jpeg

IMG_8616.jpeg

Wow, only in my dreams is this happening at my house. Can we get an ID on these?  

Those are Dioon rzedowskii. Grown to perfection by Greg H.

• Like 1

Paul Gallop

Yes, He and I have worked together to create some incredible gardens with his cycads. the trailer contains approx 20 plants, Dioon mejiae, E manikensis, E gratus, E kisambo, E laurentianus, and some E hybrids.

the other pic is indeed Greg with his amazing dingo machine and a huge D rzedowskii.

the extraction and installation of these 20 plants took a full 2 days,  which would mean the collection being discussed would likely take closer to 2 weeks to move.

Kawika