IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sago Palm care

PashkaTLT

Hello guys,

Here's the info I gathered from multiple sources. Please see and share if you want to add something or disagree on some points.

Soil

It grows best in sandy, well-drained soil, preferably with some organic matter. It needs good drainage or it will rot. Soil pH: Acidic (5.5–6.5)

Sago palms aren't overly picky about their soil, as long as they have good drainage. A sandy soil that's somewhat rich in organic matter and slightly acidic to neutral soil pH is ideal. For container plants, a potting mix made for cactus or palms should be suitable.

Light

bright, indirect light

The leaves can bleach somewhat if moved from indoors to full sun outdoors.

Sago palms appreciate a warm and bright environment, though harsh sunlight can damage the foliage

The scorching afternoon sun can wilt and burn the foliage in the summertime, and too much shade can result in sparse leaves and an unhealthy plant.

When grown indoors, choose a bright east-, west-, or south-facing window. Indoor plants can be moved outside in warm weather as long as the container is in dappled sunlight.

Outdoors they appreciate a little shade on hot afternoons.

When growing a sago palm as a houseplant, put it in a south-facing window or another bright area. 

Temperature

It is tolerant of mild to somewhat cold temperatures, provided the ground is dry. Frost damage can occur at temperatures below −10 °C (14 °F). 

They can briefly tolerate cold temperatures, but frost can damage the foliage, and temperatures below 23 degrees Fahrenheit will likely kill the plant. 

Protect your sago palm from drafts and airflow from heating and air-conditioning vents; extreme temperature fluctuations can damage the plant.

When you grow a sago palm in a container outdoors, be ready to move the container indoors if the temperature is expected to drop to 50°F or lower.

Planting

When grown in the garden, plant them in the early spring or late fall. Generally, they grow larger when planted in the ground versus when they're in containers. 

Humidity

They like humidity, supplemented by misting them regularly with clean water from a spray bottle. These plants are sensitive to overwatering and poorly drained soil. So make sure the soil surface dries out in between waterings.

If they are allowed to dry out too often, the tips of the foliage may become brown and have some dieback.

Water

Sago palms have some drought tolerance, but they prefer a moderate amount of moisture in the soil. Water whenever the soil feels dry to the touch, making sure never to overwater to the point of soggy soil. Slightly reduce watering in the winter when the plant is not actively growing.

---

My main question for now (because I see some contradicting info) is where do I put indoors and outdoors. What side (south/west/east) and how much sun?

Edited by PashkaTLT

Palms:  Sabal minor, W. Robusta, Windmill, Pindo, Needle, European Fan, Majesty, Cat palm, Sago palm, Saw Palmetto, Chinese fan palm, Pygmy Date palm

35 minutes ago, PashkaTLT said:

Hello guys,

Here's the info I gathered from multiple sources. Please see and share if you want to add something or disagree on some points.

Soil

It grows best in sandy, well-drained soil, preferably with some organic matter. It needs good drainage or it will rot. Soil pH: Acidic (5.5–6.5)

Sago palms aren't overly picky about their soil, as long as they have good drainage. A sandy soil that's somewhat rich in organic matter and slightly acidic to neutral soil pH is ideal. For container plants, a potting mix made for cactus or palms should be suitable.

Light

bright, indirect light

The leaves can bleach somewhat if moved from indoors to full sun outdoors.

Sago palms appreciate a warm and bright environment, though harsh sunlight can damage the foliage

The scorching afternoon sun can wilt and burn the foliage in the summertime, and too much shade can result in sparse leaves and an unhealthy plant.

When grown indoors, choose a bright east-, west-, or south-facing window. Indoor plants can be moved outside in warm weather as long as the container is in dappled sunlight.

Outdoors they appreciate a little shade on hot afternoons.

When growing a sago palm as a houseplant, put it in a south-facing window or another bright area. 

Temperature

It is tolerant of mild to somewhat cold temperatures, provided the ground is dry. Frost damage can occur at temperatures below −10 °C (14 °F). 

They can briefly tolerate cold temperatures, but frost can damage the foliage, and temperatures below 23 degrees Fahrenheit will likely kill the plant. 

Protect your sago palm from drafts and airflow from heating and air-conditioning vents; extreme temperature fluctuations can damage the plant.

When you grow a sago palm in a container outdoors, be ready to move the container indoors if the temperature is expected to drop to 50°F or lower.

Planting

When grown in the garden, plant them in the early spring or late fall. Generally, they grow larger when planted in the ground versus when they're in containers. 

Humidity

They like humidity, supplemented by misting them regularly with clean water from a spray bottle. These plants are sensitive to overwatering and poorly drained soil. So make sure the soil surface dries out in between waterings.

If they are allowed to dry out too often, the tips of the foliage may become brown and have some dieback.

Water

Sago palms have some drought tolerance, but they prefer a moderate amount of moisture in the soil. Water whenever the soil feels dry to the touch, making sure never to overwater to the point of soggy soil. Slightly reduce watering in the winter when the plant is not actively growing.

---

My main question for now (because I see some contradicting info) is where do I put indoors and outdoors. What side (south/west/east) and how much sun?

Follow the regimen I gave you for the Chamaerhops humilis. Additionally, if you still get frost in May, place it under a tree or the soffit of the house.

Guys, any idea what this is on the soil surface? I just got this Sago Palm from Home Depot today.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c24d048b9bc41c3bcefd83b9dad2c21.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e17388d018b903706892baa6d4b9717c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d9b499bad7500500733f6efa9328ffa5.jpeg

Palms:  Sabal minor, W. Robusta, Windmill, Pindo, Needle, European Fan, Majesty, Cat palm, Sago palm, Saw Palmetto, Chinese fan palm, Pygmy Date palm

6 minutes ago, PashkaTLT said:

Guys, any idea what this is on the soil surface? I just got this Sago Palm from Home Depot today.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c24d048b9bc41c3bcefd83b9dad2c21.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e17388d018b903706892baa6d4b9717c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d9b499bad7500500733f6efa9328ffa5.jpeg

Root clump or fungus?

Cycas revoulta (sago palm) can take insane amounts of sun. If your planting it in ground plant in your warmest spot up against your house. Winter sun exposure preferred. In a pot you'll definitely have to acclimate it from inside to outside because leaves could burn if thrown out into direct sunlight after being inside all winter.

23f will not kill this plant in the ground & below 50f outside while in a pot is ludicrous.  Try below 20f. But I'll probably bring in under 25f just to baby it.

I can't speak to much about indoor as I have zero experience with them inside but they're really tough plants. 

In ground they're super easy but being in zone 6b you'll have to try your best to keep it dry durning winter. Obviously with protect too.

Those are just coralloid roots. Completely normal for cycads. 

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

31 minutes ago, Jubaea_James760 said:

Cycas revoulta (sago palm) can take insane amounts of sun. If your planting it in ground plant in your warmest spot up against your house. Winter sun exposure preferred. In a pot you'll definitely have to acclimate it from inside to outside because leaves could burn if thrown out into direct sunlight after being inside all winter.

23f will not kill this plant in the ground & below 50f outside while in a pot is ludicrous.  Try below 20f. But I'll probably bring in under 25f just to baby it.

I can't speak to much about indoor as I have zero experience with them inside but they're really tough plants. 

In ground they're super easy but being in zone 6b you'll have to try your best to keep it dry durning winter. Obviously with protect too.

Those are just coralloid roots. Completely normal for cycads. 

Thank you!

• Like 1