IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where can I order cold hardy palms only with shipping to NJ, US?

PashkaTLT

Hello guys,

Palms:  Sabal minor, W. Robusta, Windmill, Pindo, Needle, European Fan, Majesty, Cat palm, Sago palm, Saw Palmetto, Chinese fan palm, Pygmy Date palm

fast-growing-trees.com

Junglemusic.com 

Plant Delights and Woodlanders seem to be out-of-stock.

You might try etsy.com 

• Like 1

what he said. also try plantvine and northeast ohio palms, and dont sleep on listings on ebay, tbh ive only been burnt once on ebay buying plants and it was last week lol. For better chance of success try to get plants sourced from the carolinas or n florida (or ohio).. if youre looking for larger i believe ct palms & islandwide palms service jersey but obviously depending on where

good luck man

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PashkaTLT said:

Hello guys,

You should be looking for Sabal minor and there are many varieties out there. They are easy to grow from seeds, too. I checked on eBay and found a number of listings for seedlings and seeds for Sabal minors from VA, OK, NC, TX, TN, MO & FL and beyond. Strap leaf seedlings are not overly expensive and will really take off during your hot, humid summer. Seeds germinate easily and quickly once the heat is on.

Tip: do not order anything from outside the US. US Customs now seizes all foreign plant material that isn't backed by permits and expensive phytosanitary certificates and may seize documented stuff anyway. Almost no foreign sellers provide that documentation but they don't tell you so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Check ebay, there's someone in Ohio selling minor and needle. Not to pricey plus he ships palms in their containers(less stressful) 

I once bought thru Mail Order Native. Cheap and high quality stuff. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, guys! Some very good links and advice. I'm currently filling up my database before I make final decisions and go on buying spree :)

Palms:  Sabal minor, W. Robusta, Windmill, Pindo, Needle, European Fan, Majesty, Cat palm, Sago palm, Saw Palmetto, Chinese fan palm, Pygmy Date palm

20 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Tip: do not order anything from outside the US. US Customs now seizes all foreign plant material that isn't backed by permits and expensive phytosanitary certificates and may seize documented stuff anyway. Almost no foreign sellers provide that documentation but they don't tell you so.

"Tis true - I first found out about this new stringent customs  thing when I ordered some stuff from NZ trees, and after a few weeks finally received an empty package with a customs letter, saying that my stuff was destroyed due to lack of import documentation ( something that I never needed to do in previous years ). This January I had recently ordered a bunch of stuff from RarePalmSeeds.com over in Germany - and even though I had the USDA small lots permit ( for  under 50 seeds ),  I still needed to pay for a $45 phytosanitary certificate ( I had also ordered  tree fern spores, which are not covered by small lots, due to them being spores, not seeds ),  I was totally covered import-wise in theory , or so I thought.  I  tracked the package when it arrived to the US no problem,  until it  finally stopped at the dreaded ISC New York  USPS facility , after it was inbound to customs.

That was March 9th....

During this time, I've been trying to contact USPS about this, but continually stuck with their automated voice mail system saying the same information that I got from the tracking site.

Ironically, the ISC New York  USPS facility at JFK  airport is only a mile an a half away from where I live. And during Easter dinner yesterday  when I talked about my month long package delay problem to relatives,  I was told to contact a family friend that actually works in the building, who then put me in touch with a person that works in Customs and Border Patrol  section of the ISC international mail facility. Tried calling this morning, but only managed to reach their voice mail system.

So I left my message and return number for them to return, and now I'm just crossing my fingers.

I guess It appears that the days of easily ordering plants from overseas from the US is pretty much a thing of the past, I'm afraid...

1 hour ago, Nomad NYC said:

"Tis true - I first found out about this new stringent customs  thing when I ordered some stuff from NZ trees, and after a few weeks finally received an empty package with a customs letter, saying that my stuff was destroyed due to lack of import documentation ( something that I never needed to do in previous years ). This January I had recently ordered a bunch of stuff from RarePalmSeeds.com over in Germany - and even though I had the USDA small lots permit ( for  under 50 seeds ),  I still needed to pay for a $45 phytosanitary certificate ( I had also ordered  tree fern spores, which are not covered by small lots, due to them being spores, not seeds ),  I was totally covered import-wise in theory , or so I thought.  I  tracked the package when it arrived to the US no problem,  until it  finally stopped at the dreaded ISC New York  USPS facility , after it was inbound to customs.

That was March 9th....

During this time, I've been trying to contact USPS about this, but continually stuck with their automated voice mail system saying the same information that I got from the tracking site.

Ironically, the ISC New York  USPS facility at JFK  airport is only a mile an a half away from where I live. And during Easter dinner yesterday  when I talked about my month long package delay problem to relatives,  I was told to contact a family friend that actually works in the building, who then put me in touch with a person that works in Customs and Border Patrol  section of the ISC international mail facility. Tried calling this morning, but only managed to reach their voice mail system.

So I left my message and return number for them to return, and now I'm just crossing my fingers.

I guess It appears that the days of easily ordering plants from overseas from the US is pretty much a thing of the past, I'm afraid...

US & international postal systems and customs have wrecked what was once an easy way for palm lovers to share their bounty around the world. When I joined PT in 2008 I was able to send free palm seeds all over the world for reasonable expense. I could send a packet of free Sabal seeds to the Netherlands for a little over $3 and, except for Italy, where authorities held seeds for ransom or outright stole them those seeds reached their destinations with no hassle. Last time I checked a pkg of palms seeds cost $15+, required online US Customs declaration be filled out on a us.gov website. Since Covid Customs demands Small Lots Permits, Phytosanitary Certificates and familiarity with CITES.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:02 PM, Nomad NYC said:

That was March 9th....

Ok, not that anyone would be interested :D, but here is an update with a happy ending. I don't know if it was my constant inquiries to the customs person at the JFK ISC facility, or just simply the fact  that my  package was released after a mandatory month-long quarantine (  which seems to be the case now when ordering tree fern spores internationally, hence the phyto ), I finally received my order from RarePalmSeeds.com last Saturday ( 15th of April ), after a more than a two month turn around time.

yKJCqt.jpg

All in all, I'm happy to finally get my stuff.  I'm still smarting that I needed to add an expensive phytosanitary for my Cyathea and Dicksonia tree fern spores to my order now,  but I guess that's the new reality for international plant shipping. So prepare to apply for at least a USDA APHIS small lots seed import permit now, if you are in the US and ordering them from other countries : https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information/permits/plants-and-plant-products-permits/plants-for-planting/small-lots-seed

( Of course, these are mostly seeds, which are much easier to ship. For whole plants, it's best to order within the  continental US,  importing whole plants from overseas ( even Hawaii ), you will most definitely will need to get a  phytosanitary certificate )

Now for the true hard part  -  trying to simply *germinate* the seeds!