IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Have you brought your babies outdoors yet?

Than

Those of you who have brought your potted palms outside already; when did you do it and at what temperatures? How did they react? Any photos?

I haven't dared to bring mine outside yet; max. temperatures here are less than 70F atm.

• Like 1

previously known as ego

I brought them outside last weekend they are doing fine and are looking better than they were when they were inside.

• Like 3

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

All my palms have been outside all winter except my more tropical and sensitive palms

My tropical and more sensitive palms (royals and coconut) the royal were completely frozen in place from where they stopped growing when winter started and my coconut has been slowly moving along and they all should speed up being back outside eventually

as for everything else they all look fine just as they did before winter (Washies, sabals palmetto and causiarum, trachycarpus)

18 minutes ago, EJ NJ said:

I brought them outside last weekend they are doing fine and are looking better than they were when they were inside.

What are the temperatures like there?

previously known as ego

1 minute ago, ego said:

What are the temperatures like there?

Ranging from 5C to 28C

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

Just now, EJ NJ said:

Ranging from 5C to 28C

wow great difference between day and night.

• Like 1

previously known as ego

God no we are just staring to break 0c and there is still well over two feet of snow in some places 😪

• Upvote 2

Have just bought an Archontophoenix purpurea inside now here in autumn (southern hemisphere grower) and notice the spear has sped up noticably, growing around 2cm in just two days (marked it with marker). It only grew about 15cm over the whole 5- months of spring/summer it was outside.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 10:54 PM, Phil Petersen said:

Have just bought an Archontophoenix purpurea inside now here in autumn (southern hemisphere grower) and notice the spear has sped up noticably, growing around 2cm in just two days (marked it with marker). It only grew about 15cm over the whole 5- months of spring/summer it was outside.

Reminds me of my alocasia who grew like crazy inside the indoor tabletop greenhouse I made; much faster and happier than during the summer outside. 

At what temperatures roughly you bring the archontophoenix indoors? If you are in zone 10b why do you leave it out only 5 months?

previously known as ego

2 hours ago, ego said:

Reminds me of my alocasia who grew like crazy inside the indoor tabletop greenhouse I made; much faster and happier than during the summer outside. 

At what temperatures roughly you bring the archontophoenix indoors? If you are in zone 10b why do you leave it out only 5 months?

I havent developed a particular temperature limit for bringing indoors. I could leave it outside all year and will likley do that in the future as it gets bigger so will take the hit to growth-rate. For now though, bringing inside over the cooler and darker months will allow it to grow bigger quicker. 

While we are zone 10b here (due to our very mild winter temps), our summers are cool - and the growth rate of heat-loving plants are affected by that. We are a very oceanic, and quite stormy climate in strong westerly flows where we are so the seasons are subdued here, and temperatures don't vary much season to season. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

From my photo memories I can see that my palms and others are already outside by now almost every year going back.  Occasionally I had to bring them in for a night, but otherwise they've been fine.  

This year, no so much.  We're having a long cool spring (which is nice for once), and the lows are still in the mid to low 30s.  Also, now that I have a higher-end personal weather station in my back yard I can see we have a microclimate that is 3-4 degrees F cooler than the surrounding stations are reporting online.  I've been hesitant to take anything outside, especially since we dropped down into the mid-20s for a morning low just last week.  

After this coming Monday (1st of May), the lows will bump up above 40F.  The ten-day outlook shows slowly climbing temps for the entire run and then we'll be passed the 90% last frost date.  So, likely next weekend everything goes out here in eastern Nebraska.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

On 4/5/2023 at 9:30 AM, ego said:

Those of you who have brought your potted palms outside already; when did you do it and at what temperatures? How did they react? Any photos?

I haven't dared to bring mine outside yet; max. temperatures here are less than 70F atm.

HI ego,
So you grow palms in zone 9b / 10a and you bring your palms inside during winter? Maybe you want to share with us, which species you are talking about??
I guess its coconut palms and similarly tropical lowland species...
Since there are some 2700 palm species, and growers here live in all possible climate zones, this is a very broad topic, I find.

22 hours ago, fotodimatti said:

HI ego,
So you grow palms in zone 9b / 10a and you bring your palms inside during winter? Maybe you want to share with us, which species you are talking about??
I guess its coconut palms and similarly tropical lowland species...
Since there are some 2700 palm species, and growers here live in all possible climate zones, this is a very broad topic, I find.

Hi F

Actually I am not growing any coconuts at the moment cos in Greece we only get nuts from Africa; they are supposedly among the most cold-sensitive. I'm waiting to find some nuts from India or the Americas.

My palms are Howea, Roystonea, Syagrus, and Dactyliphera. All of them but Roystonea should easily survive our winters. Yet I kept them all indoors only for this winter cos they are all just seedlings. They are all the cotyledone stage.

• Like 2

previously known as ego

On 4/27/2023 at 7:19 PM, Funkthulhu said:

From my photo memories I can see that my palms and others are already outside by now almost every year going back.  Occasionally I had to bring them in for a night, but otherwise they've been fine.  

This year, no so much.  We're having a long cool spring (which is nice for once), and the lows are still in the mid to low 30s.  Also, now that I have a higher-end personal weather station in my back yard I can see we have a microclimate that is 3-4 degrees F cooler than the surrounding stations are reporting online.  I've been hesitant to take anything outside, especially since we dropped down into the mid-20s for a morning low just last week.  

After this coming Monday (1st of May), the lows will bump up above 40F.  The ten-day outlook shows slowly climbing temps for the entire run and then we'll be passed the 90% last frost date.  So, likely next weekend everything goes out here in eastern Nebraska.

What is the most cold sensitive species you kept ourdoors all winter?

previously known as ego

I think that your seedlings should be ok.
In the last weeks, I had Musa velutina, Cyathea cooperi and Beccariophoenix alfredi seedlings out with night temps occasionally at 4 degrees C.
Without any harm (German spring).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ego said:

What is the most cold sensitive species you kept ourdoors all winter?

I just don't.   Everything is in pots, everything comes inside.  

I am on a quest for funky Zone 5 fruit trees and other things of interest, but nothing with fronds sees below 40F.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2023 at 9:28 PM, fotodimatti said:

I think that your seedlings should be ok.
In the last weeks, I had Musa velutina, Cyathea cooperi and Beccariophoenix alfredi seedlings out with night temps occasionally at 4 degrees C.
Without any harm (German spring).

I know I probably exaggerate. Tbh I am not afraid of them dying; I know they won't. I'm afraid of them stopping growing or suffering leaf damage in this very sensitive stage. 

• Like 1

previously known as ego

17 hours ago, ego said:

I know I probably exaggerate. Tbh I am not afraid of them dying; I know they won't. I'm afraid of them stopping growing or suffering leaf damage in this very sensitive stage. 

Ok. I understand. Some of my plants (Aloes, even Cuban Copernicias, musa velutina) thrive outside already with day temperatures of just 18 degrees. Just because they get so much more sun outside. But if you have a sunny spot indoors you may wanna wait.

On 5/3/2023 at 7:59 AM, fotodimatti said:

Ok. I understand. Some of my plants (Aloes, even Cuban Copernicias, musa velutina) thrive outside already with day temperatures of just 18 degrees. Just because they get so much more sun outside. But if you have a sunny spot indoors you may wanna wait.

You mean they are outside 24/7, right? No protection at night?

Yesteday I left my plants out at night too for the first time. The minimum temperature was 13.5C. I guess they will stay outdoors 24/7 from now and I'll try to push it until November or even December if temperatures are mild. They need to learn. Sometimes I wonder if exposure to colder temperatures helps seedlings become hardier later in life. Is that true?

• Like 1

previously known as ego

Yes. 24/7 unless it goes below 3 degrees. No protection.

Indeed, I think that plants learn. I had read a scientific study that meadow plants deal much better with drought if they are used to it.
I assume that epigenetical adaptations happen in the life cycle of a plant.
So, in this regard I would understand if plants can adapt to cold temperatures as well. But of course mostly within their genetic range of cold tolerance...

• Like 1

It's been a busy AF week, but everything is going out tonight!  

We've had a flip in local weather and our High/Low will be 80s/50s for the foreseeable future.  Time to get out the two-wheel cart...

On 5/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, fotodimatti said:

Yes. 24/7 unless it goes below 3 degrees. No protection.

Indeed, I think that plants learn. I had read a scientific study that meadow plants deal much better with drought if they are used to it.
I assume that epigenetical adaptations happen in the life cycle of a plant.
So, in this regard I would understand if plants can adapt to cold temperatures as well. But of course mostly within their genetic range of cold tolerance...

You are right, I exaggerate. I'll leave them outdoors from now on. Actually this winter I left some plants outside and they all survived: a monstera, some coffea arabica and three plumerias. They all stopped growing obviously and coffea has some leaf damage but nothing horrible. Not sure if other plants I have would have made it though, for instance my hibiscus schizopetalus or the acalypha hispida.

• Like 1

previously known as ego

Huzzah!  Everything is outside!  Protip: don't water for a week or two before you move, then hose 'em down once they're in position.  Probably saved my back about half a bottle of ibuprofen.  (also, use a two wheel cart!)

Bonus:  During my pruning and removal of dead leaves/fronds, I found out my Cycad is pupping!  Just a standard revoluta, but it has half a dozen nubbins coming out from the base since it came in last fall!   

GVaygSeYeq0XjUglLZr3BbMgjrWKDg28JqmvSQ8H-3zNYd_CBkUhvDwi6E4VJHGIFSqgyq389VtUnDUYQRDsJ-rBSfWJyR1VQo6IbXRgwtXqWTY0ewauL-sRt8O-90uq_oymn3E8ZS7tG7eySKyV10VozKgFoCr1lbkUmtky9tPCDDZa5ZBxc6x1zfzgXNcZPwD_n9UGtskwFQjdiQTnM3nJ5wdzCZWsaXx4riuXFR0U3Ruhl0lZ23UQpalZRpJZ1Qk9M3d1zH7ZHA0mUf9O7Wn4JDhCFkZByBym4KtD0uwW___s1ZfIqEogYvxKnwuGV6EXAaicS7qLACmkkIRdricYpE-A9h9qjkivCHZQ-ECHLF9FoJfX7-viB0qa5zYv4VnzUh84hJ0HLMHZgtR_IVYupi9L1wIbOMgcj4ytUxSQ0UT8KleNik5SqAQ2M5VQOdNLz6xqLSGVrawCC7VaOCnzIuV08rs2jiyHJ_45EC56BVC2m2GZ6x7s4rU_2rME9_MjW441hfRJoeukUp1NiJYnVbb4is37oIMPt1ktR_QRHgRVamNhBp2JbNkKGhxVgP1HSFxL9yo85su6je9fwVjZEKhClnErKu-HhSsnI3wweBqFsf-EZzc9-5dAGt09wJMztL14cEhvF6EnHeHAo3mPt2758dA1Rzab3NMxXLXQ3bDntnlwu7reFa1VJmhQZRxyGewItbLzYSDf6q6xIp8xyJF5-KHm9p_rOt44ppI9NO0gEK0zpuCu0xnfI2wqIUPYAzWZj85nTi8GJ47OljeLgybvuWZEgstC7jxJxoT9H-GrgJ1uGyUk9C1e-6ZjMolcTdfxlwY9i2C20NAzCPE_ApQ1eMRNlf9zNDXfi_icURJBDVoCkG0V1rBtJlwiv-yHPMSCItYQcXoqycCKW5J9s_KFt4YqGLxPIw=w829-h950-s-no?authuser=0