IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca Palm

Miss T

Hello,

I recently purchased a home with a Areca Palm that has been neglected. I guess it wasn’t planted correctly and the exposed roots are 17 inches from the ground and the plastic pot it was in has burst. I was thinking of removing the pot, putting up a nice tree ring of stone and then fill it up with some good soil. Does that sound ok. Should I leave the exposed trunk without the soil?

A94682E4-02C9-4E59-86B4-20934ECC23FC.jpeg

5 hours ago, Miss T said:

Hello,

I recently purchased a home with a Areca Palm that has been neglected. I guess it wasn’t planted correctly and the exposed roots are 17 inches from the ground and the plastic pot it was in has burst. I was thinking of removing the pot, putting up a nice tree ring of stone and then fill it up with some good soil. Does that sound ok. Should I leave the exposed trunk without the soil?

Welcome to PalmTalk!  You should be OK to do that.  I'd leave a little bit of the rootball above the soil line.  It doesn't appear to have much burn on it from the winter, so it appears to be in an amenable climate.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Double congrats to your new home and this beautiful palm. 🙂 And a warm welcome at PT.
Put it in the ground like every other palm, good and drainaged soil is necessary. Fertilizer I would use about 3 - 4 weeks after putting it in the ground.

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Glad you are on PT! I have learned so much here and met numerous interesting people.

In Puerto Rico these are easy and popular and in fact become huge.

I have planted Chrysalidocarpus psammophila as a smaller/less dense substitute, but that palm is harder to find.

I laugh a bit when I pass a group of them in front of a neighbor’s house where they sheared them down to less than three feet tall and made a continuous hedge. Yet more than a year later they are all fine. Could be a new trend?

In case you are into Latin names, Areca palms did used to be in the Areca genus. Then they were called Dypsis lutescens. Now they are Chrysalidocarpus lutescens or yes, still Areca or yellow butterfly palms for short!

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ST165

Cindy Adair

Under different circumstances you could consider splitting the clump, but in your case maybe thin it out instead. I personally think it would look even nicer if you were to cut off some of the smaller trunks. Would look less dense and highlight the attractive larger trunks. Ideally you would plant it deeper (without the pot), but mounding dirt in a planter would also be an option if the roots are too entrenched. Looking forward to the “after” photo!

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Wasn't planted at all lol.  I'd cut away what ever part of the pot u can and mound some dirt around the base. If you feel up to the boarder of some nature even better. These grow like weeks so it's gonna grow no matter.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Not sure what this one is, bought several Calyptrocalyx a couple years ago, most just suffer. This seems to be doing decent for now. Most of my Calyptrocalyx seem to suffer the most in the summer, come back a bit in the winter, only to suffer again. 

IMG_0691.jpg

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

It looks like it was sitting in a pot and never planted, and later on the roots escaped the pot.  It would be better to dig it out, remove the pot and replant it at the proper depth.  The effort may be about the same if you consider the time to buy, mobilized, stack stones around it and fill it with soil.

I am no palm expert but this plant shoots up new suckers like weed, and if you don't clean it from time to time it can fill in the middle pretty quickly with the new suckers becoming getting taller and taller and you may end up with a large mound like I did.  Here is a thread with some pictures of one of mine and I end up cutting it down.

20 hours ago, Patrick Palms said:

Does Areca Palms Need Shade or cope in Full Sun ?

In Puerto Rico they love sun and will show the yellow stems more there, but will grow anywhere in the ground or in pots, sun or shade.

They are in medians where they never get extra water and surely no fertilizer.

They cluster so tightly that they provide privacy screens and help hold the dirt on steep slopes to decrease the chance of landslides.

They get wide and tall here in the tropics and I have read here on PT that they are a pain to thin out or try to remove if space is limited. 

Cindy Adair

@Miss T As already explained, it was never planted. Someone put it there and the roots found their way through the drain holes in the pot. Judging by the size it looks like it has been there for several years and probably has a substantial root ball. Also, even though you have not given your exact location it is likely to be central Florida or south which allows you to grow many more interesting palms than the “Areca Palm”. I would recommend digging it out and getting something new but using blocks to make a ring would probably work.

Anyone Growing Areca in Full Sun ?  and what size can they be in Full Sun ?

@Patrick Palms There are people that grow them in full sun here, but they tend to look a little bleached.  The best ones are in dappled light under oak canopy.  I've seen 3 gallons put in full sun and grow well.  In your case, the scenario might be different given the climate regime of the Canary Islands.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 4/3/2023 at 3:08 PM, Patrick Palms said:

Anyone Growing Areca in Full Sun ?  and what size can they be in Full Sun ?

I have over 200 in central fl. The ones in full sun are 2x the size as others but more noticeable yellowing and more damage from cold. That said, after spring cleaning, I have 3-4ft of actual trunk compared to none or 1ft in partial shade after 3yrs from 3 gal. 

shade palms overall, 5ft max. Sun palms, 10-12ft. Shade palms, maybe 1-2 dominant trunks, sun palms, 4-6 real trunks. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2023 at 6:56 PM, Miss T said:

Hello,

A94682E4-02C9-4E59-86B4-20934ECC23FC.jpeg

Pot-Planting was all the rage 20 years ago on the west coast US.

• Upvote 1