IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should I Bring My Palms Out?

EJPalm05

There is no more nights below freezing so should I bring my palms out? The Lowest Low I am Seeing is 36F.

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

Depends on what you are bringing out. Lipsticks nope, needles yep. So what are you putting on the porch? If it's remotely cold hardy I'd say go for it. I've had my sabals, Trachys, phoenix,chamaerops out down to 30F, all in pots. My majesty has been out also but it comes in under 32.

Edited by N8ALLRIGHT
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm waiting to send out my Foxtail and Christmas palms. If it's not going under 40 they can stay out otherwise they come back in for the evening.

1 hour ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Depends on what you are bringing out. Lipsticks nope, needles yep. So what are you putting on the porch? If it's remotely cold hardy I'd say go for it. I've had my sabals, Trachys, phoenix,chamaerops out down to 30F, all in pots. My majesty has been out also but it comes in under 32.

It's Washingtonia, Tracycarpus and queen. 

• Like 2

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

53 minutes ago, EJ NJ said:

It's Washingtonia, Tracycarpus and queen. 

For those 3 species you are probably be OK putting them out now. If it were me, being on the cautious side, I would wait until April 1 (a Saturday). No work or school and plenty of time to get them ready for a new growing season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

... My majesty has been out also but it comes in under 32.

Mine slides back into the garage in the evenings. I'm waiting for nights to stay above 50°F / 10°C. It's now going into the third season with me.

R_riv.thumb.jpg.76991e606276f835197799038aa61743.jpg

• Like 3