IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Chambyronia frond opening

Just noticed this frond starting to open looks like it might be more colorful than ones in the past I will try to get more pictures but I’m never home when the sun’s up so it might not happen!!

3A949C68-3646-4A84-A56D-238003807941.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

I have a salmony one that puts out a deep red every other frond it seems like. Great looking palm either way!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Definitely living on the edge with Chambeyronia in AZ, I like it! 

Keep us posted in its progress.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s been in the ground maybe 3 years it has done so well and it is such a beautiful palm I planted 2 more so I have 3 in a triangle and some people say the hookeri throws a red frond better so I just got one from Flouibunda!!

• Like 4

Don, definitely some color to that frond. Looks good. I think you’ll be ok with Chambeyronia until those beauties get above whatever sun protection you have provided. Then they will be challenged. Until then….enjoy. 

You can already see how stretched it looks. Not that it’s a bad thing…..

-dale 

• Like 1

I don’t think it will out grow the royals that give it shade! At least I won’t live long enough for that to happen I will enjoy it for as long as I can they are beautiful palms!

don

• Like 1

The latest picture it is dark but definitely showing more color than in the past maybe it won’t fully open until this weekend!!

CBD9E44D-612F-4EEB-AB3A-7ACA66963187.jpeg

• Like 1

Just a few more days for you!

Mine opened last weekend. The plant is in full shade most of the year and the leaves grow up to 2 metres, a monster! It’s a big show when a new leaf unfurls.9D0AF34B-0380-4E87-AE97-4A0C3E793892.thumb.jpeg.3910941c3a562b0d02075016770ea3dd.jpegFA79669C-2EDE-4E11-96E2-30F2D71EEA2B.thumb.jpeg.d1e8c73d765bc6a57aab1d163f7afec1.jpeg

Edited by iko.
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

iko.

I think this is a lot tougher of a palm than people think as long as it’s in DENSE SHADE it takes our 115 plus temperatures and single digit humidity and still grows I get 2 fronds a year !!!!!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

How many days does a leaf stay red before it revert to green?  Two weeks?

I just bought one today, still in a pot.  Hoping for a red leaf soon.  I was told not every flame thrower throw a red leaf so I guess I will see.

IMG_20230401_174529.jpg.239f1db42c76af527227bd6f8d0b04fe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, miamicuse said:

How many days does a leaf stay red before it revert to green?  Two weeks?

I just bought one today, still in a pot.  Hoping for a red leaf soon.  I was told not every flame thrower throw a red leaf so I guess I will see.

IMG_20230401_174529.jpg.239f1db42c76af527227bd6f8d0b04fe.jpg

The spike will stay green and the leaf turns red as it opens.  I would say, in our hot weather and in any sun, the leaf looks bright red or maroon or salmon (depending on the plant) and at its best for a day or two after it fully opens.  Mine quickly turn copper and then to green, within a few days after that.  They seem to last longer in the shade and in cool weather.  

EB54B232-5E9D-402A-99C6-5426FBAA2E2C.thumb.jpeg.d201fba83e72ea57f974ba966152090c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

The spike will stay green and the leaf turns red as it opens.  I would say, in our hot weather and in any sun, the leaf looks bright red or maroon or salmon (depending on the plant) and at its best for a day or two after it fully opens.  Mine quickly turn copper and then to green, within a few days after that.  They seem to last longer in the shade and in cool weather.  

EB54B232-5E9D-402A-99C6-5426FBAA2E2C.thumb.jpeg.d201fba83e72ea57f974ba966152090c.jpeg

Thank you, I look forward to seeing the red leaf emergence.  I was struggling with getting the small one about 4' tall at $50 vs the 8' one which is more expensive but my main concern at the time was it won't fit in my SUV easy.  Now I am kind of regreting not getting the bigger taller palm.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

How many days from when a spear appears to when the leaf start to open?  I am guessing 3-6 months?

• Like 2

You go @96720!

I’d have said fogeddabouttit in your high heat; nice to be proved wrong!

They last longer as red in winter I think because of the shorter days. I’ve had them red out in 100 F temps in November and they rock on.

Now I can recommend Chambeyronia hookeri etc to desert denizens!

• Like 5

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

@miamicusei would say 5-6 months I only get 2 fronds a year!!

@DoomsDave I’ve had mine in the ground 2-3 years the heat doesn’t seem to bother them but they are in DENSE shade the one has done so good that I planted 2 more mine are macrocarpa I did get a hookeri with my last order from Flouibunda so I will be giving it a try!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, miamicuse said:

How many days from when a spear appears to when the leaf start to open?  I am guessing 3-6 months?

I agree with above.  These are pretty slow when young. Regular Pseudophoenix sargentii grows noticeably faster than these for me.  Even with our rains and irrigation it’s probably 3 fronds a year at most.   You might be able to push them with constant attention, watering, fertilizing?   

• Like 2

After being used to so many fast growing palms, this one is a bit underwhelming on the speed front for me too. But, it is a beautiful little palm that may someday hit its stride. I thought mine was a dud up until it’s recent frond.

IMG_3795.jpeg

IMG_3794.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

• 4 weeks later...

My first ever Chambyronia frond leaf!  Bought in March and still in a five gallon paint bucket.

IMG_20230524_082646.jpg.0db8caa87e0cc345e8205d5f568fb8eb.jpg

IMG_20230524_082652.jpg.05ae038afc5207613b71b8920a1f3510.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

On 4/28/2023 at 2:10 PM, ruskinPalms said:

After being used to so many fast growing palms, this one is a bit underwhelming on the speed front for me too. But, it is a beautiful little palm that may someday hit its stride. I thought mine was a dud up until it’s recent frond.

IMG_3795.jpeg

IMG_3794.jpeg

On 4/28/2023 at 2:10 PM, ruskinPalms said:

IMG_3795.jpeg

IMG_3794.jpeg

On 4/28/2023 at 2:12 PM, ruskinPalms said:

I’ll probably have to fight off the Rhapis around it to help it succeed. 

I think, with a bit of luck, they'll both survive and the Chambey will tower high, while the Rhapis forms this kind of a protective bulwark around the base. I've got similar in my garden.

Pictures to follow.

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

9 minutes ago, byuind said:

Is that guy full sun exposed?

In winter yes, summer half full sun for the day. Not ideal location. Surviving so far though. 

Edited by Palms Brisbane
  • Upvote 1

That’s pretty cool. I found mine didn’t like the sun so much. Once I planted them in a protected area with 4-5 hours of sun (mostly filtered) they started to crank out leaves.

if these are supposed to be slow growers, I found myself a freakish specimen. I still have some cold damage on older leaves that I haven’t trimmed but I’m betting by late summer these guys will be looking good.

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I need to fill that gap there behind it…

i was debating adding another Hookeri but I would like to add something unique

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 96720 said:

I have a hookeri it doesn’t seem as hardy as macrocarpa is that what others find?

Don, the opposite is what I’ve found. My Hookeri’s are in full sun and although a bit yellow, they aren’t fried like my Watermelon which gets afternoon sun. Hookeri is a much better grower also as compared to straight Macro. Others have said Houailou is the slowest but for me….Houailou has a similar growth rate to Macrocarpa. 

That being said…..everyone should have all 3. They are all different looking but way up there on the cool factor! 🤘

-dale 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dale I have had no problem with macro they take are heat and low humidity with no problem so I thought I would try hookeri and even in the greenhouse house it looks terrible I don’t know if it will survive until fall to plant it out but I’m a 3 and done guy so I will try again if this one doesn’t make it!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 96720 said:

Dale I have had no problem with macro they take are heat and low humidity with no problem so I thought I would try hookeri and even in the greenhouse house it looks terrible I don’t know if it will survive until fall to plant it out but I’m a 3 and done guy so I will try again if this one doesn’t make it!!!

Definitely try again if it croaks. There’s another thread I posted in quite a few times regarding my Macrocarpa. It was purchased as a nice 15G grown in a greenhouse it’s entire life. I attempted to acclimate for 6 months but as soon as I threw it out in 1/2 day sun, it laughed at me and shriveled. the wife wasn’t happy looking at it at all but I didn’t give up. It’s been nearly over 2yrs in the soil and it’s growing great now. I can tell each frond opening looks better and better for longer. 

Planted out a 1G Hookeri Sun grown so I put it in the sun and it didn’t skip a beat. 

Moral of the story, try to find one that was grown outdoors in some Sun or you may have some issues. Good luck & don’t give up. 

-dale 

• Like 1

A few Pictures from Wollongong Botanic gardens, NSW Australia,in the early morning light

regards

Colin

'Colin20230519_080219.thumb.jpg.115f81d901805276a7fac97b9049db4a.jpg20230519_080143.thumb.jpg.81d9ac602f4ed0b4823ff8d6ba973cc0.jpg20230519_080128.thumb.jpg.4f9f8d3bf4f08ef13bcfb6e239a9707a.jpg20230519_080114.thumb.jpg.7579007626da50baf195432dfd587c3b.jpg20230519_080055.thumb.jpg.42e045fbc16136128468961ea6b27765.jpg20230519_080037.thumb.jpg.bc9deb34c6ea9dceafc7a76dd962e00c.jpg20230519_080232.thumb.jpg.71089e7f37eda8b6169aded669d88c19.jpg

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

My little one is rapidly pushing a new frond now that we have had some rain. Funny it is using Rhapis as its canopy to emerge through. As a side note, my Rhapis don’t look bad in full sun 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Here’s one of mine.

2111B392-3ED3-40AE-ABCD-FEDD8567B489.jpeg

• Like 11

I've got between 20 and 30 Chambey macrocarpa, hookeri and houialou in the ground. I suspect New Caledonia has more, and I'll handle that.

As Mae West was once reputed to have said: "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful." (With that uh! at the end . . . . )

• Like 3

Dave , I’m jealous but feel really blessed to have 3 growing where nobody thought they would grow!!

don

• Like 3