IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I've read a bit, but I don't know anyone actually growing one.

Doesn't get very cold here in SF but it doesn't get hot either!

Sometimes I'm willing to be a guinea pig, but these are reputed to be slow, hard to come by, and therefore a bit pricey. If you're growing it, you know more than I do. 

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

8 hours ago, Rivera said:

I've read a bit, but I don't know anyone actually growing one.

Doesn't get very cold here in SF but it doesn't get hot either!

Sometimes I'm willing to be a guinea pig, but these are reputed to be slow, hard to come by, and therefore a bit pricey. If you're growing it, you know more than I do. 

I had an opportunity to purchase one several years ago but didn't.  I wasn't sure if this moved over to Aloidendron with the other tree Aloe species so did a quick search.  I do see that the San Diego Zoo lists it as follows:

Suzanne’s Tree Aloe
Aloestrela suzannae
In its native habitat, this slow-growing tree aloe from Madagascar can reach up to 12 feet over the course of a few decades. Its flower spike can reach up to five feet tall, but flowering is rare in Southern California.     Reference:  https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/sites/default/files/body_text_documents/Zoo_Botanical_Brochure_Aloe_WEB_0.pdf

I live in a similar climate zone to you, but a little warmer and fewer days of fog being a few hundred miles south and not having a large bay to the east of me.  I typically have challenges with both Aloe and Aloidendron in the late Spring (May to early June) when fog is heaviest and I get Aloe mites.  I have to spray them out of the crown with high pressure water.  Some species are more prone to it than others and having tall Palms or Cycads overhanging them only exacerbates their presence.  That said, I have several species of large Aloe (marlothii, africana, speciosa, ferox and a couple of unknowns as of yet), as well as Aloidendron that are doing well in my garden (Aloidendron Hercules, barberae, dichotomum, ramosissimum and pillansii).

If you aren't already growing one of the faster growing species as a test, I would consider doing that before you try Aloestrela suzanae, just so you don't spend a bunch of money on something super rare that ends up not liking your climate.  I'm a huge fan of Aloidendron ramosissimum in that it doesn't take up nearly as much space as its larger brethren but still grows at a measurable speed.  Of the group I'm growing, the Aloidendron pillansii is by far the slowest in this climate.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I grew several (in pots) in San Diego, so I don't have much cold tolerance information to add. A guy that lived in Clairemont Mesa (SD neighborhood) had a 15' tree growing near the north side of his house. I seem to remember him saying that it bloomed (at night). It is one of my favorites, but I don't have an area that is suitable to grow it in the ground. If I had to bet, I would give a few seedlings a try (SF is milder than some parts of SD), the odds are in your favor.

Hi 66˚, Lo 45˚

• Like 3

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

12 hours ago, Tracy said:

I had an opportunity to purchase one several years ago but didn't.  I wasn't sure if this moved over to Aloidendron with the other tree Aloe species so did a quick search.  I do see that the San Diego Zoo lists it as follows:

Suzanne’s Tree Aloe
Aloestrela suzannae
In its native habitat, this slow-growing tree aloe from Madagascar can reach up to 12 feet over the course of a few decades. Its flower spike can reach up to five feet tall, but flowering is rare in Southern California.     Reference:  https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/sites/default/files/body_text_documents/Zoo_Botanical_Brochure_Aloe_WEB_0.pdf

I live in a similar climate zone to you, but a little warmer and fewer days of fog being a few hundred miles south and not having a large bay to the east of me.  I typically have challenges with both Aloe and Aloidendron in the late Spring (May to early June) when fog is heaviest and I get Aloe mites.  I have to spray them out of the crown with high pressure water.  Some species are more prone to it than others and having tall Palms or Cycads overhanging them only exacerbates their presence.  That said, I have several species of large Aloe (marlothii, africana, speciosa, ferox and a couple of unknowns as of yet), as well as Aloidendron that are doing well in my garden (Aloidendron Hercules, barberae, dichotomum, ramosissimum and pillansii).

If you aren't already growing one of the faster growing species as a test, I would consider doing that before you try Aloestrela suzanae, just so you don't spend a bunch of money on something super rare that ends up not liking your climate.  I'm a huge fan of Aloidendron ramosissimum in that it doesn't take up nearly as much space as its larger brethren but still grows at a measurable speed.  Of the group I'm growing, the Aloidendron pillansii is by far the slowest in this climate.

Thank you for this excellent reply and sound suggestions Tracy! I didn't know this plant has been assigned its own genus. 

The most common aloes selected for California grow well here along SF's coastal strand, and don't seem to fall victim to pests often (maybe the persistent winds help to aerate?). I have a young aloidendron tongaense in the ground, but I'm not aware of any others in the neighborhood so time will tell. There's some kind of a trunking single headed aloe around the corner from me that appears both durable and beautiful with a languorous form. It may be an aloe thraskii? It was damaged a little mid-winter during some cold and damp nights following very heavy rainfall, but it appears to have recovered quickly. 

May I ask, have your aloidendron species suffered any structural damage during all the intense weather we've had this winter? I understand the branches can become quite massive on some. 

I appreciate the aloidendron ramosissimum recommendation. 

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

11 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

I grew several (in pots) in San Diego, so I don't have much cold tolerance information to add. A guy that lived in Clairemont Mesa (SD neighborhood) had a 15' tree growing near the north side of his house. I seem to remember him saying that it bloomed (at night). It is one of my favorites, but I don't have an area that is suitable to grow it in the ground. If I had to bet, I would give a few seedlings a try (SF is milder than some parts of SD), the odds are in your favor.

Hi 66˚, Lo 45˚

Thank you Tom! I grow many common and durable plants but once in a while I'm drawn toward something unusual and uncertain.

Fairview Nursery in So Cal occasionally offers small seedlings of uncommon to rare aloes at reasonable prices. For $20, I'll take a chance on a little one. I'm going to try aloe vaombe too, which may also be marginal here. 

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

• 5 months later...

Update:

I got a tiny Aloe suzannae about five months ago. It's doing ok, but so far not growing any faster than the old leaves senesce. Healthy but very slow.

PXL_20230827_220419230.thumb.jpg.6cd979ed4d586153e870b4ba3f2a3695.jpg

Aloidendron ramosissimum growing great, though dormant right now.

PXL_20230827_220434500.thumb.jpg.fee83a810a12a28f7726f95a75e8adc8.jpg

Aloe vaombe also growing well.

PXL_20230827_220450101.thumb.jpg.ee8d56f94c7ef674f3ad7d504fe7eaa7.jpg

As is Aloe isaloensis.

PXL_20230827_220519641.thumb.jpg.e980be8c42b4459f18766c3a48fd22bd.jpg

• Like 2

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

For the A. suzannae, I grew mine in a much smaller pot at 1st. As the roots filled the original pot, I graduated to larger pots as needed.

Hi 112˚, Lo 77˚ - heat alert

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

For the A. suzannae, I grew mine in a much smaller pot at 1st. As the roots filled the original pot, I graduated to larger pots as needed.

Hi 112˚, Lo 77˚ - heat alert

Thanks Tom. It's in a 4", but it could probably still be in a 2". Not so sure about my mix either... I didn't have any pumice when I potted it up so it has a lot of sand in it.

I used to have it in morning sun. Now it's getting sun from about 10 to 4. It has seemed mostly indifferent, so I don't quite know where to put it. 

It's not a weakling, just slow. I may gently remove it from its pot to get a look at things. If its roots are insubstantial, I can put it in a smaller pot with a better mix. 

Chris

San Francisco, CA 

12 hours ago, Rivera said:

Thanks Tom. It's in a 4", but it could probably still be in a 2". Not so sure about my mix either... I didn't have any pumice when I potted it up so it has a lot of sand in it.

I used to have it in morning sun. Now it's getting sun from about 10 to 4. It has seemed mostly indifferent, so I don't quite know where to put it. 

It's not a weakling, just slow. I may gently remove it from its pot to get a look at things. If its roots are insubstantial, I can put it in a smaller pot with a better mix. 

Sand can be fine or coarse. If coarse, it should be OK. To be safe, pumice is usually a safer bet. Be sure to keep it in a warmer place. Sun is not as important at that age.

Hi 106˚, Lo 78˚

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Update:

Slow and obviously still very small, but this Aloe suzannae is growing and looking a bit more solid. It has remained outdoors this winter.

17068179608477909558389235716466.thumb.jpg.374bf4ea9a3bfcfecfb5d6d209179863.jpg

• Upvote 2

Chris

San Francisco, CA