IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is my palm alive

Plantsinmygrill

Mexican fan palm - Austin texas purchased from fancy big nursery which assured me this would survive Austin winters- it survived the winter 21 storm (covered) so not sure why it’s not putting leaves out now. 

This palm has not put out any new leaves since the last frost in Austin texas - Jan 20th I believe. The freeze was not that bad and my other palms survived. It’s listed as a zone 8 palm so I am not sure if it’s still alive.

- Should I slice some off in in case it’s alive further down the trunk ?

- Would epsom salt help ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

79111F25-0F39-4DC0-9415-E4DEFF29CFCC.jpeg

C818C6C0-911D-4625-99E8-C89DB770C5F3.jpeg

A9E06D9F-296F-4CF1-A475-40A2B36EB2AC.jpeg

204A48EC-EB00-4F4B-BA23-E2B6114BD88B.jpeg

7B2B18CD-81E3-4E26-B70D-8E597F5D8A6C.jpeg

Recently planted palms are less hardy than established ones. Larger transplanted palms tend to be less hardy also. The palm is generally hardy for Austin (ONCE THOROUGHLY ESTABLISHED). Since it’s probably a fairly recently planted palm It may have succumbed to the Dec freeze. Look down the center to see if you can see green. If you can’t I’d do two things at this point. Drench the center in hydrogen peroxide and secondly take the drastic step of cutting off the top six inches or so and see if you can get to green. The way it looks now I’d keep sawing down until I reached green. It could be dead but maybe there’s life further down. 

Don’t listen to the nursery ask people on here what is hardy. We have years of experience with Texas palms. Mexican fans are generally hardy in Austin most winters but we’ve had bad freezes in two of the past 3 years.  The type of freezes that can kill palms. They’re not completely hardy in the worst freezes. A better choice world have been a Filifera or a hybrid from a known Austin or SA freeze survivor. 

Edited by NBTX11

We cut down until we got to this point 

It’s not green, should we keep cutting ?

245B73FA-167D-4DD8-92D3-0B82EDCCD177.jpeg

It's dead; period. Even in Atlanta where robustas defoliate in the mildest winter, it would have grown a new leaf this month. 

• Like 1

Looks dead to me, too

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

so you are saying there’s a chance?

Jk

Thanks guys, I guess I will try to find an affordable sabal palm to replace it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plantsinmygrill said:

so you are saying there’s a chance?

I don't think "Looks dead to me, too" & "It's dead; period." are indicators of it having a chance.

9 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I don't think "Looks dead to me, too" & "It's dead; period." are indicators of it having a chance.

I think she's being facetious. 

• Like 1

What's the pinnate palm that's poking out of the weeds between the two Washingtonia palms? Looks like it is in trouble too.

Dead. Plant a Washingtonia Filifera, Sabal Mexicana, or Sabal Palmetto. 

Edited by NBTX11