IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help with ID Please

Mnazi

I’m going to put a spanner in the works and say Dypsis lanceolata which is now Chrysalidocarpus lanceolata. The coloration of the leaf bases and the small amount of furriness on the petioles are not a Chambeyronia macrocarpa thing. Otherwise at that stage the two species look very similar. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hah... Thanks, Tyrone and PalmsandLiszt. I honestly don't know any better, but I have grown Chambeyronia from seed and it did look similar except for the furriness. If it is Dypsis lanceolata, then even better. So a bit of background as to why I was asking. I paid for a Ponapea hosinoi online and this is the young palm I received in the mail. I tried to tell the seller that this isn't Ponapea and in fact doesn't look like any Ptychospermatinae species, but he is insistent that it is Ponapea. So I turned to PalmTalk for some expert advice. Thank you, everyone!

8 hours ago, Mnazi said:

Hah... Thanks, Tyrone and PalmsandLiszt. I honestly don't know any better, but I have grown Chambeyronia from seed and it did look similar except for the furriness. If it is Dypsis lanceolata, then even better. So a bit of background as to why I was asking. I paid for a Ponapea hosinoi online and this is the young palm I received in the mail. I tried to tell the seller that this isn't Ponapea and in fact doesn't look like any Ptychospermatinae species, but he is insistent that it is Ponapea. So I turned to PalmTalk for some expert advice. Thank you, everyone!

No problem. That’s what the forum is for. 

It certainly isn’t anything in the Ptychosperma tribe. It would have the ripped leaflet look if it was. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

@MnaziI'd never heard of Ponapea Hosinoi before, so there's no way I could rule it out.  I looked in my nursery area for my last surviving Dypsis Lanceolata, but I couldn't find it.  I think it must have died from the last frosts and I just didn't mark it as D-E-D in my spreadsheet.  I do have a couple of smaller C. Macrocarpa in the ground, they are definitely very glossy on the rachis & petiole.  So my guess was definitely wrong... :D

20230320_192106.thumb.jpg.ca1ebe350637d243129004b6ce535829.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone.  I need some more help with ID please.  I planted these some years ago but I don't remember where I got them and I don't really know what they are.  Any help with ID or a suggestion that can point me in the right direction to start looking on PalmPedia will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance, and happy planting!

20230903_170931.jpg

20230903_170939.jpg

20230903_171023.jpg

20230903_171025.jpg

20230903_171031.jpg