IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

T. Fortunei with creeping trunk

Stefanus

Hi all,

I discovered and joined this community today and I have a question regarding my Trachycarpus that I purchased years ago. I noticed that this palm, which was sold as “Fortunei”, has a sort of creeping trunk. I haven’t seen it before at any other Fortunei, does this happen occasionally? Or could it be that I bought another variety of Trachycarpus, for instance a Takil? Please see some photos of the palm below, also notice the photo from 2017 that I found (I had the idea that its growth went quite slow). For what it’s worth, I’m located in a 8a/8b zone.

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

81BE008E-DB16-4A4E-BACA-418B96E33B11.jpeg

AFF1ABE9-FA47-4DDC-8F8B-400069CC8BF9.jpeg

2B97FE7F-72DA-47B8-84C2-641EC20EE4BD.jpeg

722E1F95-E9B5-4436-8C85-E48C86C46882.jpeg

• Like 5

It's not the least bit uncommon to see T. fortunei growing obliquely. Once the palm forms a trunk base, it will begin to grow vertically.

• Like 3

I agree with the other responses you got here, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum! You have a nice looking trachycarpus there.

• Like 1

I've seen this a lot too.  I imagine that the slow growth is partially due to the small pot.  By limiting the root size you limit the above-ground mass as well.  It looks really healthy for being a semi-bonsai.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben OK said:

I agree with the other responses you got here, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum! You have a nice looking trachycarpus there.

Thanks Ben

57 minutes ago, LeonardHolmes said:

I've seen this a lot too.  I imagine that the slow growth is partially due to the small pot.  By limiting the root size you limit the above-ground mass as well.  It looks really healthy for being a semi-bonsai.

Thank you for your answer, I suspected the small pot too for its slow growth. Nevertheless I got a few other trachys in pot that seem to grow a bit quicker, but these don’t have a trunk like this. I’ll consider planting it out in the garden.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 3:48 PM, Stefanus said:

Thank you for your answer, I suspected the small pot too for its slow growth. Nevertheless I got a few other trachys in pot that seem to grow a bit quicker, but these don’t have a trunk like this. I’ll consider planting it out in the garden.

I encourage you to do so! They love our climate. I've never seen it on T. fortunei to that extend but most people here apprently have so I guess they're right. Though the trunk and the leaves give me some takil vibes. 😂 I wouldn't completely exclude any other Trachy type but if you plant it out and it gets bigger it will also become more apperent.

• Upvote 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I took the advice and planted it in the garden, lets see how it performs the coming years!

0B0D74C5-7ACF-454E-B3EE-0CBDF6C4B036.jpeg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

I took the advice and planted it in the garden, lets see how it performs the coming years!

0B0D74C5-7ACF-454E-B3EE-0CBDF6C4B036.jpeg

Welcome Stefanus.  I don't exactely where you live but Trachycarpus will do fine in most places in the Netherlands. 

Perhaps you planted a bit close to the fence but that's hard to say from the photo. 

Edited by Marco67

34 minutes ago, Marco67 said:

Welcome Stefanus.  I don't exactely where you live but Trachycarpus will do fine in most places in the Netherlands. 

Perhaps you planted a bit close to the fence but that's hard to say from the photo. 

Hi Marco, yes we got quite some in the neighborhood. I agree its a bit close to the fence, but is the only suitable/available spot atm. I will replant it when needed.

11 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

It'll out grow the fence height before you know it.

Not all neighbours might like it when half your tree hangs over their side of the fence unfortunately. 

• 10 months later...

Short update, its doing good and it has become a bit greener past year. 

20240304_T.thumb.jpg.dc28771a612d12ab17e70a3491ac8205.jpg

• Like 3

And apparently not the only one that started growing horizontally..

20240304_T2.jpg

• Like 1

one of my trachy also starts with a horizontal trunk long time ago, but grows vertical now

Trachy.thumb.jpeg.72b75bcdfa41d72691896f8fc72e3ca2.jpeg

• Like 2

This is said to be an Alpine trait seen in mountain plants to anchor themselves to irregular/

uneven ground that help the plant combat frost heave in areas where the ground can freeze

called the SFH trait...slope frost heave. I think T. Martianus and possibly T. Latisectus (coffee bean shaped seeds

rather than kidney shaped like most Trachycarpus) are the only ones I have not seen this in...although I would

have to look at some old pictures of my now deceased Latisectus to be sure....as they grow this curvature 

of the trunk goes away.

My Naini Tal has the creeping trunk ad well..here in Kansas 

20231205_135750.jpg

• Like 1