Jump to content

T. Fortunei with creeping trunk


Stefanus

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I discovered and joined this community today and I have a question regarding my Trachycarpus that I purchased years ago. I noticed that this palm, which was sold as “Fortunei”, has a sort of creeping trunk. I haven’t seen it before at any other Fortunei, does this happen occasionally? Or could it be that I bought another variety of Trachycarpus, for instance a Takil? Please see some photos of the palm below, also notice the photo from 2017 that I found (I had the idea that its growth went quite slow). For what it’s worth, I’m located in a 8a/8b zone.

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

81BE008E-DB16-4A4E-BACA-418B96E33B11.jpeg

AFF1ABE9-FA47-4DDC-8F8B-400069CC8BF9.jpeg

2B97FE7F-72DA-47B8-84C2-641EC20EE4BD.jpeg

722E1F95-E9B5-4436-8C85-E48C86C46882.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not the least bit uncommon to see T. fortunei growing obliquely. Once the palm forms a trunk base, it will begin to grow vertically.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the other responses you got here, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum! You have a nice looking trachycarpus there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen this a lot too.  I imagine that the slow growth is partially due to the small pot.  By limiting the root size you limit the above-ground mass as well.  It looks really healthy for being a semi-bonsai.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ben OK said:

I agree with the other responses you got here, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum! You have a nice looking trachycarpus there.

Thanks Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, LeonardHolmes said:

I've seen this a lot too.  I imagine that the slow growth is partially due to the small pot.  By limiting the root size you limit the above-ground mass as well.  It looks really healthy for being a semi-bonsai.

Thank you for your answer, I suspected the small pot too for its slow growth. Nevertheless I got a few other trachys in pot that seem to grow a bit quicker, but these don’t have a trunk like this. I’ll consider planting it out in the garden.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 3:48 PM, Stefanus said:

Thank you for your answer, I suspected the small pot too for its slow growth. Nevertheless I got a few other trachys in pot that seem to grow a bit quicker, but these don’t have a trunk like this. I’ll consider planting it out in the garden.

I encourage you to do so! They love our climate. I've never seen it on T. fortunei to that extend but most people here apprently have so I guess they're right. Though the trunk and the leaves give me some takil vibes. 😂 I wouldn't completely exclude any other Trachy type but if you plant it out and it gets bigger it will also become more apperent.

  • Upvote 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I took the advice and planted it in the garden, lets see how it performs the coming years!

0B0D74C5-7ACF-454E-B3EE-0CBDF6C4B036.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Stefanus said:

I took the advice and planted it in the garden, lets see how it performs the coming years!

0B0D74C5-7ACF-454E-B3EE-0CBDF6C4B036.jpeg

Welcome Stefanus.  I don't exactely where you live but Trachycarpus will do fine in most places in the Netherlands. 

Perhaps you planted a bit close to the fence but that's hard to say from the photo. 

Edited by Marco67
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Marco67 said:

Welcome Stefanus.  I don't exactely where you live but Trachycarpus will do fine in most places in the Netherlands. 

Perhaps you planted a bit close to the fence but that's hard to say from the photo. 

Hi Marco, yes we got quite some in the neighborhood. I agree its a bit close to the fence, but is the only suitable/available spot atm. I will replant it when needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

It'll out grow the fence height before you know it.

Not all neighbours might like it when half your tree hangs over their side of the fence unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...