IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can I get rid of these brown fronds?

Breaktheory

Hello friends

So spring is around the corner and growth is beginning on all my palms…these 2 royals got hammered with some low temps over the winter as you can see. Can I remove fronds that are mostly brown or will removing the small amount of green in them do more harm than good?

A2F311B7-880E-46A3-BAB0-8B47B6684E93.jpeg

DE4D7DA4-383F-46FF-9C23-AE1006B2150A.jpeg

It all depends. I wouldn't cut any green off if the leaves are still fine. Meaning no mold or anything. But you can cut off just what's brown. So not the entire frond but just the brown parts of it.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

They will fall on their own when they are ready. I don't trim my royals even after hurricane damage. They shed their damaged leaves. But if a bit of cold damage offends a neighbor, wait until the frond is completely dead, then remove.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

“Self cleaning” palms do better when you don’t cut them. If you let them fall naturally, it will be able to use all the nutrients in the frond and produce no scarring at the attachment point. They seem to have a tendency to hold what remains of the “boot” for an excessive time after cutting at the petiole. And if you then try to remove the boot, it will tear at the base and cause damage to the trunk area. Like stated above, it’s best to let them fall off on their own.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Patience, Jon.  Patience!  And, mark the spears on your royals, and post pictures of the spear advancement.  We demand it!

• Like 2

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

On 3/20/2023 at 10:50 AM, awkonradi said:

Patience, Jon.  Patience!  And, mark the spears on your royals, and post pictures of the spear advancement.  We demand it!

Hah will do - waiting for some growth to start - it’s been freezing!

• 1 month later...

Any spear movement?

• Like 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat