IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How do you treat out of reach crowns for pests?

Hardypalms

Hi

I have a mealy bug problem in my yard. I have been controlling it mostly with coffee grounds, keeping an eye on it.

But not really obsessing over it. Today it was real windy and a frond fell off my Sabal. I just happened to look at it and noticed that mealy bugs were there too even though all the leafs on the tree are bright green.

So now it’s game on. Even if i can’t eradicate them, my goal is to control 80-90 percent of them.

I know about coffee which I do, then there is alcohol which i don’t trust, neem oil and horticultural oil. Then we move into the chemicals. I think i m going to work with neem oil. My Sabal palmetto is tall but not unreachable as the crown is not that far from my elevated back porch.

Do i use my sprayer the best i can and spray the leaves?

I wonder what people do for real tall palms? And how they know they have scale or mealy bugs up there in the first place?

They look like scale on one pic then tiny long worm thingies on the other pic.

Thxs

Pat

C74A1679-8501-4FE8-80E3-A447261182EE.jpeg

1D1EA6FF-2FC2-41F7-8749-C4FE97FF0F5E.jpeg

Edited by Hardypalms

If as you say the leaves are bright green and look good, why are you worried? Mealy bugs are generally controlled by ladybugs, lacewing and many other beneficial garden inhabitants. Just because you have a population, there isn’t necessarily anything out of order. They are part of nature’s buffet so if you just monitor I think you’ll find out you don’t have a problem after all. You can direct a sharp jet of water from your hose to knock some off, but I would suggest you just invest in some supplemental predators and release them in your yard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

7 hours ago, mnorell said:

, but I would suggest you just invest in some supplemental predators and release them in your yard.

They are starting to be numerous, some other palm fronds are not so green anymore. I was talking about the Sabal palmetto’s fronds still being green. The hose is a good idea. What are these supplemental predators?

Thank-you

Pat

@mnorell is spot on. If you look you will find mealybugs and esp. scale on nearly all large palms. My Sabals are spotted with them. Nothing comes of it as my Sabals are otherwise healthy. And those plant pests are harmless to you. It’s part of the balance of nature. You say you are not obsessing but I think you are. If all you can think about is shooting off hoses, slinging insecticides and mail order lady bugs at grown palms to combat miniscule plant pests you can never entirely eradicate you need to redirect your thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

@mnorell is spot on. If you look you will find mealybugs and esp. scale on nearly all large palms. My Sabals are spotted with them. Nothing comes of it as my Sabals are otherwise healthy. And those plant pests are harmless to you. It’s part of the balance of nature. You say you are not obsessing but I think you are. If all you can think about is shooting off hoses, slinging insecticides and mail order lady bugs at grown palms to combat miniscule plant pests you can never entirely eradicate you need to redirect your thoughts.

Meg

Thxs for the answer. Is it possible if you get a chance to post a couple of pics of the areas you have them? I want to compare the density?

I have a covered minor that is half dead.

Thxs

Pat

If you have a Sabal minor half dead and sporting scale, you have a palm that has other major health problems and is weakened. Pests like scale take advantage of the weak and sickly. The scale isn't the primary cause.

I checked some of my Sabal leaves I could reach. Almost all were clean and pest free. That might change come rainy season. I found some minor evidence of scale on a Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant leaflet. Will I do something about it? Uh, no. It's not a problem unless I make it one.

Be aware that if you go gung ho on insecticides to fight a losing battle you are setting yourself and others up for disaster. Those pests may develop resistance to those treatments, then really give you headaches.

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant with scale, Cape Coral, FL 2023

213135098_SabalminorEmeraldIsleGiantwscale0103-19-23.thumb.JPG.f40f6fb0ef22c95f4a9ee1e9873fc779.JPG

Meg

Florida

I wonder if a sprayer equipped drone, if there is such a thing, could be used. Can you see the pest problem that is too tall to reach?

For a Sabal? Those palms are tough as rawhide. You would need a magnifying glass to find scale on those costapalmate leaves. I don't want to think about a drone spraying insecticide 30-40' in the air. Better hope the neighbors don't find out.

Meg

Florida

2 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I wonder if a sprayer equipped drone, if there is such a thing, could be used. Can you see the pest problem that is too tall to reach?

Wow, i don’t have palms that big but that’s a great idea.

Pat

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

If you have a Sabal minor half dead and sporting scale, you have a palm that has other major health problems and is weakened. Pests like scale take advantage of the weak and sickly. The scale isn't the primary cause.

I checked some of my Sabal leaves I could reach. Almost all were clean and pest free. That might change come rainy season. I found some minor evidence of scale on a Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant leaflet. Will I do something about it? Uh, no. It's not a problem unless I make it one.

Be aware that if you go gung ho on insecticides to fight a losing battle you are setting yourself and others up for disaster. Those pests may develop resistance to those treatments, then really give you headaches.

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant with scale, Cape Coral, FL 2023

213135098_SabalminorEmeraldIsleGiantwscale0103-19-23.thumb.JPG.f40f6fb0ef22c95f4a9ee1e9873fc779.JPG

No, i will never use chemicals unless neem oil is one. It is recommended everywhere i have looked instead of chemicals. It killed caterpillars on my Ensete which recovered quickly after.

Thxs

Pat

1518723F-A861-452F-86E2-4445B4908949.jpeg