IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

AZ_Palm_Guy

So today I was able to add a date palm that is very difficult to come by to my collection. I was able to pick up a Black Sphinx date palm. Just wanted to create a post and hopefully update it as the days/weeks/months and hopefully years go by. Attached are some pics of the pup. It has been in its container for over a year and ready for transplant.

20230318_114910.jpg

20230318_114900.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Just now, 96720 said:

How did you happen to come by that I would love one!!!

@96720A gentleman posted a few pups for sale and they were for 3 varieties of date palms and I picked it up today. Out of respect for his privacy I did not take a picture of the mother palms but they were amazing date palms.

• Like 2

Is there any info on these? Would it be safe to assume these are some form of P. dactylifera ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Had to look this one up as I had never heard of it. One site says hardy to 15F but I assume that is in a dry Arizona climate and not damp east coast. Hope somebody chimes in with more info.

Here is some info on origins of the Black Sphinx from a book I own. But yes it is just a variety of Phoenix Dactylifera.

20230319_163853.jpg

20230319_163938.jpg

• Like 3

Ended up planting it yesterday 03/19/23. Please excuse the weeds, all this rainfall has made them pop out like crazy!

20230319_154745.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

How long do you figure before it produces dates?

Could be anywhere from 3-5 years (hopefully) is what I've read since it was pulled directly from a known black sphinx date palm. 

A sucker from an existing known palm is the only way you will get a true species of date!! Seedlings are just a crap shoot especially for something like a black sphinx the females are rare enough so males are probably really rare!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I know this is going against 'common knowledge', but I have grown a crop of 'medjool' date palms from grocery store dates to maturity. The couple that I have sold as 5 gallon plants that have turned out female,and I am able to still visit,have ALL produced true 'medjool' producing offspring.:bemused:

Just something to think about...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I've also grown the "Black Sphinx" variety from seed,sold them all off as 1 gallons, but have no idea on their final outcome. Maybe a dozen of them out there existing for future generations? B)

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

On 3/21/2023 at 5:39 PM, 96720 said:

A sucker from an existing known palm is the only way you will get a true species of date!! Seedlings are just a crap shoot especially for something like a black sphinx the females are rare enough so males are probably really rare!!

New date varieties would never be created this way.  New varieties that would have perhaps desired properties of dates or of the plants themselves (e.g. resistance to certain diseases). If I remember correctly one at least date producing country in Asia pays farmers money for the creation of new varieties.

• Upvote 2

You are right the only way to get new varieties is by cross pollinating if every medjool seed always came true you would never get new varieties!!!

• Upvote 1

Much more the pollen selection from different varieties is a science itself! Yes you may have guessed correctly! The combination of pollen and date producing varieties affects in various ways quality and quantity of produced dates. 

1249275851_Screenshot_20230323_125403_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.04337374e822e739bcf5f8d6bf0e45ea.jpg832354762_Screenshot_20230323_125040_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.c14b90b49756288e49ceec7aeba50f5f.jpg1316788840_Screenshot_20230323_124939_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.1ce279b563bb7bc42018c1ec4e3d08b9.jpg1068037273_Screenshot_20230323_124745_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.747d093ddf5266a431b295380c858d7a.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/21/2023 at 9:04 AM, aztropic said:

I know this is going against 'common knowledge', but I have grown a crop of 'medjool' date palms from grocery store dates to maturity. The couple that I have sold as 5 gallon plants that have turned out female,and I am able to still visit,have ALL produced true 'medjool' producing offspring.:bemused:

Just something to think about...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

This could be exciting!! Datepalm seeds wont grow true to type but it's possible that you may have discovered another variety by growing from seed just like the Black Sphinx, Huber, Empress or any of the other American varieties that have been discovered.  The chances of finding a date variety that produces quality fruit are on the low side, so you should consider yourself lucky and name that thing the AZtropic!! Lol.  

• Upvote 1