IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Advice for planting a windmill

BigBilly

Iimage.png.08c57d82aedf00ace610a3ded33aca0a.png
Well since the forecast is looking good, I'm gonna plant my windmill either today or Monday and I was wanting some advice ? 

Wait till these low 20's are over.  Tuesday

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Agree , wait until the weather warms up a bit. A palm , even a cold hardy palm like the Trachecarpus F. , is vulnerable most when it is first planted. Save as much soil as you can from the container to line the hole you dig to help the palm acclimate. You didn't mention what size the container is , hopefully at least a 1 gal. Harry

10 minutes ago, Harry’s Palms said:

Agree , wait until the weather warms up a bit. A palm , even a cold hardy palm like the Trachecarpus F. , is vulnerable most when it is first planted. Save as much soil as you can from the container to line the hole you dig to help the palm acclimate. You didn't mention what size the container is , hopefully at least a 1 gal. Harry

I mean it's pretty large, It's also been outside all year so it's acclimated to the cold by now. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, BigBilly said:

I mean it's pretty large, It's also been outside all year so it's acclimated to the cold by now. 

Well by all means, plant it now. 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:33 AM, Las Palmas Norte said:

Well by all means, plant it now. 

I think I missed my chance , it's supposed to drop to 24 F tonight, But I'll try tomorrow afternoon 

Yea , A few more weeks should be better even if it's large. It's all about the root ball and acclimation to its new soil surrounding. Even a large palm can be set back by an early cold set planting. The palm would most likely survive but would be hindered somewhat from new growth.  IMHO it ain't worth it to try when it is still cold.  Harry

Those temperatures are average winter temperatures here in central NM. That being said, I would not plant a windmill here in winter.  

But,  I would plant a windmill if daffodils were fully blooming, indicating the ground temperature is on the upswing.  

Ideally you want a warming ground temperature so roots expand and the plant can handle the upcoming warmth and water uptake needed to grow.

Edited by jwitt
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's done really good since March , It's put on about 1.25" of trunk since I planted it back in march.IMG_0315.jpg

• Like 2