IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia X Jubaea - Info + Photos

Peachs

I want to plant one of them. How thick can the trunk be? I am concerned about the thickness of the trunk, that it may be too thick for the area where I plan to plant it. How fast can it grow? I live in zone 8b, with little rainfall.

There is not much information on the forum about this hybrid.

Thank you so much!

6-F48-D08-D-3-A38-48-FF-AA7-B-667-FD28-A
791-BE2-A8-44-B0-4797-978-E-AFF80178-DF9

• Like 1

We have one that was bought as a 5G, from genetics going back to Moultrie Farms in FL, but it's not near a wall or anything.  I feel like, thus far given this is the first winter it has seen, but it did see 10.6F at the ultimate low.. I feel like it has Jubea in there for sure because, a pure Butia just 50' away, same protection (frost blanket, c9 christmas lights at the bud) spear pulled, and had a lot of browning on the fronds.  The one below.. well you can see for yourself.  It looks incredible and we are thrilled to have it..

IMG_20230317_144859.thumb.JPG.e50d3578d7f861b84990997204347879.JPGIMG_20230317_144854.thumb.JPG.311ac98b06285a26f68a7d19ab73aa48.JPG

• Like 4

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

8 minutes ago, Sabal King said:

We have one that was bought as a 5G, from genetics going back to Moultrie Farms in FL, but it's not near a wall or anything.  I feel like, thus far given this is the first winter it has seen, but it did see 10.6F at the ultimate low.. I feel like it has Jubea in there for sure because, a pure Butia just 50' away, same protection (frost blanket, c9 christmas lights at the bud) spear pulled, and had a lot of browning on the fronds.  The one below.. well you can see for yourself.  It looks incredible and we are thrilled to have it..

IMG_20230317_144859.thumb.JPG.e50d3578d7f861b84990997204347879.JPGIMG_20230317_144854.thumb.JPG.311ac98b06285a26f68a7d19ab73aa48.JPG

Thank you. Can you give an opinion on the growth rate? I would say it has more butia than jubaea from the photos?

8 hours ago, Peachs said:

I add is BxJ F2. Do you think it looks more like Butia or Jubaea?

It really depends on the inherited traits.  From what I understand a percentage of BxJ F2 will resemble Butia, a percentage will resemble Jubaea and a percentage will have traits from a combination of the two.  I grew a BxJ F2 to a 5-gallon size before I moved and it looked just like a pure Butia with a similar slow growth rate to a Butia.  I no longer have it.  F1 BxJ have the hybrid vigor and will grow faster than the F2.

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

It really depends on the inherited traits.  From what I understand a percentage of BxJ F2 will resemble Butia, a percentage will resemble Jubaea and a percentage will have traits from a combination of the two.  I grew a BxJ F2 to a 5-gallon size before I moved and it looked just like a pure Butia with a similar slow growth rate to a Butia.  I no longer have it.  F1 BxJ have the hybrid vigor and will grow faster than the F2.

DBD9505-B-7272-4552-BF7-D-4-EB918854604.
4-FA540-A0-2-BD1-48-E3-99-F5-0-BAA953-D5
A5-C2608-A-1902-4383-9-A81-AA692062-B366
75-B22453-DE4-B-488-F-BDB5-0-F5901-E2-CA
E47-F5-DB6-5-CA1-4662-AB5-F-FA815463420-

I hope I'm lucky and it doesn't meet the wall. Up to 1 meter margin.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Peachs said:

DBD9505-B-7272-4552-BF7-D-4-EB918854604.
4-FA540-A0-2-BD1-48-E3-99-F5-0-BAA953-D5
A5-C2608-A-1902-4383-9-A81-AA692062-B366
75-B22453-DE4-B-488-F-BDB5-0-F5901-E2-CA
E47-F5-DB6-5-CA1-4662-AB5-F-FA815463420-

I suggest you clear all grass/weeds away from those trunks in a 3 meter circle, then lay mulch. Grass and weeds are more aggressive than palms and will suck up water and nutrients the palm needs to grow bigger and faster. This is esp. important in an arid climate where water is at a premium.

Nice looking palms

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

43 minutes ago, Peachs said:

That looks too close in my opinion. Perhaps it’s deceiving in the pictures but that doesn’t look to be more than about a foot off the wall (30cm). 

1 minute ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I suggest you clear all grass/weeds away from those trunks in a 3 meter circle, then lay mulch. Grass and weeds are more aggressive than palms and will suck up water and nutrients the palm needs to grow bigger and faster. This is esp. important in an arid climate where water is at a premium.

Nice looking palms

I think it’s artificial turf. Either that or the OP does the best weed whacking job along that wall I’ve ever seen. 

12 minutes ago, RJ said:

That looks too close in my opinion. Perhaps it’s deceiving in the pictures but that doesn’t look to be more than about a foot off the wall (30cm). 

55cm from the center of the trunk, i.e., up to 1.10m can grow. (55+55)

It is also a bit turned.

I hope I'm lucky, although I'll know 30 years later!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RJ said:

I think it’s artificial turf. Either that or the OP does the best weed whacking job along that wall I’ve ever seen. 

Yes, artificial turf!

22 minutes ago, Peachs said:

55cm from the center of the trunk, i.e., up to 1.10m can grow. (55+55)

It is also a bit turned.

I hope I'm lucky, although I'll know 30 years later!

Either way the fronds are going to be right up against the wall. Is it possible to move them further out. I think in a few years you’ll regret not moving them while young. 

18 minutes ago, RJ said:

Either way the fronds are going to be right up against the wall. Is it possible to move them further out. I think in a few years you’ll regret not moving them while young. 

I had no choice. If it were further apart it would be a nuisance when passing, and in the future an obstacle the trunk. I know I'm taking a risk by adjusting it to the wall.

3 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Move the wall when the day comes. Ha.

In 20 years where will we be!!! I hope she grows up fast and I can enjoy her in the meantime.

18 hours ago, AcerPALMatum said:

I appreciate the eBay source.  Interesting that these are not hand-pollinated hybridized seeds - just seedlings from seeds from a hybrid parent palm:

OUR SILVER BLUE HYBRID PALM HAS BOTH MALE AND FEMALE FLOWERS SO IT CAN SELF-POLLINATE AND IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING CONSISTENT LOOKING HYBRID OFFSPRING.  BEING A HYBRID, THESE OFFSPRING ALSO HAVE MORE VIGOR AND FASTER GROWTH THAN A PURE BUTIA OR JUBAEA PALM.  THE SEEDS ARE VERY POTENT, FREQUENTLY PRODUCING 2 OR 3 TREES FROM ONE SEED THAT GROW INDIVIDUALLY.  THE GROWTH RATE IS REMARKABLE REACHING ABOUT 4 FT AT JUST THREE YEARS OLD.  THEREAFTER, EACH YEAR A MUCH LARGER SPEAR GROWS BY ADDING ANOTHER FOOT OR MORE TO THE PALM.  YOU CAN GROW THIS HYBRID PALM AS A TROPICAL OUTDOORS IN FULL SUN OR MEDIUM SHADE BUT ITS GROWTH IS NOT SUITABLE FOR INDOORS.  THE GORGEOUS SILVER BLUE COLOR (CALLED GLAUCOUS) REMAINS FOR THE LIFE OF THE TREE VARYING SOMEWHAT DEPENDING ON SUN.  THE PALMS WE ARE SELLING HERE ARE ONLY THOSE ALREADY SHOWING THE BLUE COLOR. 

Will you really get a true hybrid palm?  I ordered two - one for NC and one for VA.  I'm 68 years old and may not live to see the Mississippi Mule palm seedlings I bought get big.  Maybe I'll appreciate the growth from one of these.

• Upvote 1

I see that there has been a lot of discussion of the true nature of the F2 hybrids offered by the Tallahassee nursery.  If I end up with two plain old Butia I will be disappointed, but that's life. 

47 minutes ago, LeonardHolmes said:

I see that there has been a lot of discussion of the true nature of the F2 hybrids offered by the Tallahassee nursery.  If I end up with two plain old Butia I will be disappointed, but that's life. 

I have watched this nurseries listings on Ebay for a long time but thought maybe it was just wishful thinking that they had a hybrid. Since the last time I saw the listing they have updated it with tons of good info. Obviously they are knowledgeable on the subject and possibly frequent Palmtalk.  This makes me less skeptical and will again consider a buy.  The mention of less or no armament on the petioles is the best indicator of a different palm for me. Having said that I have seen palms like that here on the N. C. coast. so maybe they are a little more widespread than just this nurseries seed mother palm. After all nurseries want the best seeds so they end up with the best product, so they collect from the best sources. The silver color does worry me a little for cold hardiness though. The reason I say that is because there are a lot fewer Butia type palms here with the silver color and they tend to be in the warmest parts of our coastal environment (that is nearer to ocean and sound side water or in another heat island). That could be partially just because the silvery ones are not in as great abundance or the growers pull those for Florida sales before they ship their product north. In any case Leonard at least your outer banks one should be ok and with good placement or some protection I bet your Virginia one will be ok too. 

34 minutes ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

At the Columbia airport there are several butia’s planted that have prominent hooks on the ends of the leaflets- a commonly observed trait of a cross with Jubaea. Otherwise they look just like a standard butia 

@LeonardHolmesI bought one of those from PalmsGalore777 in late 2019 and planted it in December 2019.  It's been a fairly steady grower and very silvery, but unfortunately it got a bad mealybug infestation in the crown and I didn't notice for quite a while.  So it probably lost most of last year's growing season and hopefully will get back to growing this spring.  Here it is today for reference...is it a BxJ?  Not sure...but it needs some fertilizer!

814243652_20230319_163852ButiaPalmsGalore777.thumb.jpg.ddfc9b7cc348d2a797a77b5f5c920a42.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1