IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Palmetto Hardiest Variety

Stevejr

Is there any Sabal variety with a trunk (not ‘minor’) that is the hardiest, and might survive winters with minimal protection in Z7b southern NY?

• Like 1

This has been discussed a ton.  Sabal birmingham (Palmetto hybrid) in the best sited spot, by a structure, in full sun is the best shot.  The bad new is that in your northern zone (Less sun) it will grow so slowly a trunk won't be formed for probably in excess of normal times.   So you are probably talking a trunk in 30 years from seed.   A Trachycarpus fortunei is your best trunking palm there and tolerates cooler weather better.  

If you mean pure palmetto there are some different ones but below 10F they will take a lot of damage.   Same problem you will need to grow any wild variety from small stock and getting a trunk will be forever.  You could truck in a regenerated FL palmetto ($$$$) and if placed SUPER well (facing south, full sun, close to brick bldg, overhead protection of some sort like a bldg overhang) it might last a few years but you probably still would need a structure around it in winter.

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Sabal “Oregon” I recommend, but there is not that many and you can only get from desertscapenursery.

You need to source out a tree that was grown in Virginia or N.C.  Buy a 7 gallon minimum, if smaller it will take forever to trunk. Plus follow all of the advice given by Allen😉

Birmingham is hardy...but slowwww

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Sabal “Oregon” I recommend, but there is not that many and you can only get from desertscapenursery.

Why Sabal Oregon?  What makes this tree able to handle 7b unprotected, or minimal protection outside of the etsy\ebay ad?  I have literally been asking that seller for now almost two years about this Sabal and he's got nothing other than two pictures.  Please, share your insights if you have any.

• Like 3

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

I've been pleased with the  Palmetto in the second picture  . It did better than my Tifton Hardy after 6F one night this winter . 

Below is a Tifton Hardy ( There is a Minor in there too , but the taller one is the Tifton Hardy ) :

52755721093_955dc9a2af_b.jpg

Below is the one that did really well from a source in Northern Florida . I bought it in Wilmington , NC from Lloyd's Nursery . They said they try to get their Palmettos  sourced from hardier areas like northern Florida vs southern Florida .To the left is a Sabal Birmingham that seemed to have more damage than the Palmetto ? 

52755477714_003e490809_b.jpg

It might be worth a trip down to get one from Lloyd's . 

• Upvote 2

There probably isn't enough heat in 7b Southern NY for a Sabal palmetto and I can't imagine it would survive long, to be honest.

-Michael

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PortCharlotteCocos said:

There probably isn't enough heat in 7b Southern NY for a Sabal palmetto and I can't imagine it would survive long, to be honest.

-Michael

There is a gentleman in Bridgeport Connecticut that has had success with a fairly long-term palmetto. It's a choice microclimate that it's in but could be doable in New York if similarly sited. I'd post the link but I suck at technology,it is on palmtalk however.

Bald Head Island may be an option or one from Gary's Nursery, also Steve Anderson has some from I think 7b. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/18/2023 at 11:32 AM, ChicagoPalma said:

I didn't know Sabals were endemic to OR.

23 minutes ago, SeanK said:

I didn't know Sabals were endemic to OR.

Haha. 🤣

On the off chance you weren't kidding, no they're not.

On 3/18/2023 at 8:39 AM, Sabal King said:

Why Sabal Oregon?  What makes this tree able to handle 7b unprotected, or minimal protection outside of the etsy\ebay ad?  I have literally been asking that seller for now almost two years about this Sabal and he's got nothing other than two pictures.  Please, share your insights if you have any.

The pictures aren't his.  Someone previously identified those pics from Texas I believe.

I have one, it grows very slow.  My guess is straight Birmingham. It's not like the minors I have grown from seed, and is bluish.

I'm not trying to slam the guy, but I would like to see photos of palms growing east of the Cascades in Oregon.  I've never seen any palms on that side of the mountains, you're talking zone 6.  If there are some there, they will need help late fall/winter.   They tend to plant similar to what you might see in Colorado.  Lots of desertscape type plants due to the fact a lot of it, is high desert.   The closest I've seen to a palm are big Yucca rostratas.

pics of my Sabal Oregon on the left.  Sabal minor on the right  The Sabal minor is younger  The Sabal Birmingham is working on its third frond in a little over a year  it’s kept inside so gets lots of heat and light.

6252A6AC-382B-4725-8342-3E89471B2D6F.jpeg

CA28E228-CBE1-42DF-B0D3-C5B032BE94F3.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Upvote 1

On 3/18/2023 at 4:58 PM, N8ALLRIGHT said:

There is a gentleman in Bridgeport Connecticut that has had success with a fairly long-term palmetto. It's a choice microclimate that it's in but could be doable in New York if similarly sited. I'd post the link but I suck at technology,it is on palmtalk however.

I think you might be referring to this thread.  :)

• Like 1

Jon Sunder