IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm/ Plant I.D.

cbraunig

Hey there good evening fellow palm lovers! I am a newbie so take it easy on me….. I saw this plant (not even 100% sure it is a palm) while watching a home renovation show based in Seattle. I was very interested because it looks like a palm but was thriving and healthy in front of a Seattle, Washington home. I thought where better to post and have someone I.D than this awesome forum! Hopefully someone can help. 

P.S. sorry for the crappy picture. Tried to get it more clear but was unable to. 

Thanks in advance! Have a great weekend everyone! 

3366B606-6B14-409F-A69D-C41DF98B62D0.jpeg

Like you said, it’s hard to tell from the picture, but I think it might be a variety of Yucca (non Palm).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Since its strap leafed, it’s not a palm. It looks like possible a Cordyline or Yucca as was already mentioned. 

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

6 hours ago, cbraunig said:

Hey there good evening fellow palm lovers! I am a newbie so take it easy on me…..

Welcome to the forum and rest assured, we have a very friendly and helpful group of people here, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will bark or snap at you. And there are no "dumb questions" since we all have to start at the beginning, sometime. 

I personally am agreement with most of the above that it is probably some sort of Cordyline (and as some folks posited as a possibility, might possibly be some soft of soft-leaf Yucca). Cordyline is a genus of plants that look sort of like palms, but are actually relatives of the lilies, believe it or not. Look up Cordyline australis and Cordyline indivisa and you may recognize one of these as the one from the show. Many of these come from the cool climates of New Zealand and similar parts of Australia, they are quite comfortable in places like Vancouver, coastal Washington State and Oregon, and much of coastal California, where the cold Pacific holds reign. Most of these Cordylines really don't like warm, humid climates (there are exceptions), so where you are you would probably use an allied group of plants in the genus Dracaena. They in general are much better suited to Florida's quasi-tropical environment and warm nighttime temperatures, but many have a similar effect in the landscape.

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 1 month later...

Its possibly a Yucca elephantipes but it would have to be protected in cold events.  Not sure but it looks dead on from far away.