IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

trachycarpus dry spears wth happened

ZPalms

All winter my trachy was fine until now, I realized last week yellow on the spears but I thought the green color would of come in from the chlorophyll just because it was new but now that I'm looking closer all the spears expect the one thats opening are all dried out, I pulled on the spears and none of them came out but I was able to break a spear because it was so dry. I've been watering it here and there in the winter including the rain it gets so I don't get it

IMG-8635.thumb.jpg.0f239823c641a9514f43bdd7d1dcf2c4.jpg

IMG-8629.thumb.jpg.27f3aba923723cdc037621904a1d488a.jpg

IMG-8630.thumb.jpg.30153e22c5be7b9c785d8f7765b95228.jpg

IMG-8634.thumb.jpg.3119b3d673c498a535e18560de4bb519.jpg

IMG-8632.thumb.jpg.2a88271aeb7d80fb83f2a9fee84d652c.jpg

Small Trachycarpus’s can be prone to spear pulling after winter, especially the Nova types. One of mine spear pulled a few winters back after an ultimate low of just -4C / 25F. It’s less to do with the cold itself and more to do with fungal issues I think. Lots of moisture in the crown, high humidity, lack of sunlight etc, combined with low temperatures as well.

They have pretty good recovery ability though and don’t need much heat to get a new spear pushing again. Your one should be fine and push out new growth again. Best to treat with hydrogen peroxide or something just to be safe though. They seem to grow out of this issue pretty quickly as soon as they start putting on size. This issue is more common than you think on small Trachy’s.

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

4 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Small Trachycarpus’s can be prone to spear pulling after winter, especially the Nova types. One of mine spear pulled a few winters back after an ultimate low of just -4C / 25F. It’s less to do with the cold itself and more to do with fungal issues I think. Lots of moisture in the crown, high humidity, lack of sunlight etc, combined with low temperatures as well.

They have pretty good recovery ability though and don’t need much heat to get a new spear pushing again. Your one should be fine and push out new growth again. Best to treat with hydrogen peroxide or something just to be safe though. They seem to grow out of this issue pretty quickly as soon as they start putting on size. This issue is more common than you think on small Trachy’s.

Would copper fungicide be better or should I just hit it with hydrogen peroxide to see if bubbles? none of these spears pulled so that's whats confusing me they are just dry

Edited by ZPalms

Just now, ZPalms said:

Would copper fungicide be better or should I just hit it with hydrogen peroxide to see if bubbles?

I would just hit it with the peroxide if I was you. I didn’t actually apply any treatment to my small Nova when it spear pulled and it still came back fine. Mine had a gaping hole as well where the entire spear came out. Your one doesn’t look too bad to be honest. Although it is probably best to treat it and be safe, rather than be sorry. I wouldn’t worry too much about it though. It’ll push new growth again.

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

2 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

I would just hit it with the peroxide if I was you. I didn’t actually apply any treatment to my small Nova when it spear pulled and it still came back fine. Mine had a gaping hole as well where the entire spear came out. Your one doesn’t look too bad to be honest. Although it is probably best to treat it and be safe, rather than be sorry. I wouldn’t worry too much about it though. It’ll push new growth again.

Alrighty thank you!!!! Hopefully it will recover quickly! I was so worried, Should I blast the hydrogen out the crown once its done fizzing if it fizzes to remove the liquid with an air can?