IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

No label, help with ID

Palmiz

I bought this with no label was told that it was something unusual about it. To me it looked like a howea Belmoreana. What do you think?

20230316_142617.jpg

20230316_142540.jpg

20230316_142524.jpg

20230316_142502.jpg

You may be right, or it could be the other Howea, I can't tell at that size.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

10 hours ago, Steve Mac said:

You may be right, or it could be the other Howea, I can't tell at that size.

Thanks Steve, I did look at my Belmoreana 1 gal closely to compare and does look different,  definitely not Forestiana.  I was thinking Lepidorrachis mooreana but have  my doubts and don't think it's Hedyscepe Cantaburiana. Maybe Belmoreana hybrid with Forestiana? Who knows only time will tell I guess.

I dont think its a Howea. Im leaning towards the lowland version of Laccospadix australasica. If so it may get a bronze to red coloured new leaf. 
Whatever it is its a nice palm and looks healthy. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

30 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

I dont think its a Howea. Im leaning towards the lowland version of Laccospadix australasica. If so it may get a bronze to red coloured new leaf. 
Whatever it is its a nice palm and looks healthy. 

Very possible Tyrone, thanks I was only able to find this picture online that did look very similar. Other pics not so much. Too bad I already have one of those but bought it at a larger size so didn't see its stages, also didnt know there was different versions. Gotta look into that! That new spear is pushing, I'll keep an eye out for reddish tint. Thanks!

Screenshot_20230319_021401_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Palmiz

20 hours ago, Palmiz said:

Very possible Tyrone, thanks I was only able to find this picture online that did look very similar. Other pics not so much. Too bad I already have one of those but bought it at a larger size so didn't see its stages, also didnt know there was different versions. Gotta look into that! That new spear is pushing, I'll keep an eye out for reddish tint. Thanks!

Screenshot_20230319_021401_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes, these are a very under-utilised species with different forms. The lowland variety is solitary and can get a colourful new leaf. These grow in the wet tropics in lower elevations in the mountain rainforest around Cairns in North Queensland. The higher elevation one has finer leaflets and clumps with green new leaves. It looks like a clumping miniature Howea forsteriana. I’ve also heard of another highland form that has a colourful new leaf and clumps. My personal thought is that the highland and lowland forms are different species. The fruit stalks look like Howea belmoreana but really miniature.. I reckon you can’t have enough of these palms in a shady rainforest style garden. Their compact size is a bonus too for the smaller garden. They seem quite cool tolerant too. I think if you can grow a Howea well you should be able to grow these, especially the high elevation clumping form. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Yes, these are a very under-utilised species with different forms. The lowland variety is solitary and can get a colourful new leaf. These grow in the wet tropics in lower elevations in the mountain rainforest around Cairns in North Queensland. The higher elevation one has finer leaflets and clumps with green new leaves. It looks like a clumping miniature Howea forsteriana. I’ve also heard of another highland form that has a colourful new leaf and clumps. My personal thought is that the highland and lowland forms are different species. The fruit stalks look like Howea belmoreana but really miniature.. I reckon you can’t have enough of these palms in a shady rainforest style garden. Their compact size is a bonus too for the smaller garden. They seem quite cool tolerant too. I think if you can grow a Howea well you should be able to grow these, especially the high elevation clumping form. 

Thank you Tyrone for all the cool info on it, we will see what I have in the future. The other one u currently have doesn't have the red leaf and hopefully this one does. No matter what I will definitely be keeping it and yes that is a bonus in my small garden. Thanks again!

• Upvote 1