IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Welp, fingers crossed...

DAVEinMB

Hopefully another one doesn't bite the dust after this past winter. This mule (partially) spear pulled today and didn't look very promising looking down into the growth point. Figured I should remove whatever was festering down in there. 

Fingers crossed

20230314_172219.jpg

20230314_172235.jpg

Did you get some solid tissue? This cool weather isn’t helping either… 

33 minutes ago, RJ said:

Did you get some solid tissue? This cool weather isn’t helping either… 

I think I found a decent stopping point, was weary to keep cutting so we'll see if she starts pushing. I got past the black section at least. If it still isn't showing me anything in a day or 2 I'm going to cut the outer layers around the newest spear off and see what I find

And yea, I've been recording temps in the low 30s overnight. Nonsense

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I think I found a decent stopping point, was weary to keep cutting so we'll see if she starts pushing. I got past the black section at least. If it still isn't showing me anything in a day or 2 I'm going to cut the outer layers around the newest spear off and see what I find

I’ve had more spear pulls on my potted palms this year then ever before … no idea why? Not sure if it’s the cool rain or what. Lost two and maybe a third 🤬

42 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

You've been recording nights in the low 30s? Have you been getting any frost? Today is the first day of me having to wrap my Phoenix roebelenii with a frost cloth. As far as I know I haven't gotten any temps below 40.

55 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

How cold did it get ? 

33 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

You've been recording nights in the low 30s? Have you been getting any frost? Today is the first day of me having to wrap my Phoenix roebelenii with a frost cloth. As far as I know I haven't gotten any temps below 40.

There's always the possibility that the calibration is off but my 3 sensors are always reading about the same and they're in different locations around the yard

21 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

How cold did it get ? 

13F, 14F, 14F were the three bad nights I recorded on my weather station. Consecutive

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

There's always the possibility that the calibration is off but my 3 sensors are always reading about the same and they're in different locations around the yard

Have you gotten any frosts recently?

Just now, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Have you gotten any frosts recently?

Shit sorry meant to comment on that...I have not, and my perennials are all still alive

My mule also spear pulled, albeit mine is so so much smaller than yours. It just went pinnate lol

But yea, fronds are all green and the spear that pulled was black on the end. Ive applied the recommended tactics with nothing to show for at the moment. Im wondering if ill need to cut it back like yours, but there isnt a whole lot to cut back. Might just have to buy a whole new palm and be done with it. If this one survives, then i have 2 mules instead of 1. Luckily they are quite cheap for their size. This time i think ill grow it in a pot for a year or two before planting. My super mule should be fully ready to go in the ground this spring after being potted up for almost a year now. I have had to upsize multiple times.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

12 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Shit sorry meant to comment on that...I have not, and my perennials are all still alive

You're good! I just took the temperatures outside. Google says it's 34 here where I'm at. South side was 39 (all readings are in shade), west side was 34 and north side was about 35. I didn't get any frost even on the tops of roofs. All these readings were taken at about 8:30 AM. Do your sensors let you look at temperature history? If so I'd be curious what your sensors read at around 8:30 AM.

Edited by General Sylvester D. Palm
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

You're good! I just took the temperatures outside. Google says it's 34 here where I'm at. South side was 39 (all readings are in shade), west side was 34 and north side was about 35. I didn't get any frost even on the tops of roofs. All these readings were taken at about 8:30 AM. Do your sensors let you look at temperature history? If so I'd be curious what your sensors read at around 8:30 AM.

We were 31 here this morning. Chilly for sure. 

1 hour ago, RJ said:

We were 31 here this morning. Chilly for sure. 

Ah, too cold! Although, I would've thought Columbia would be a little cooler than that. I think Columbia is starting to get a pretty good UHI effect similar to Charleston. At least I hope so anyways. More palms the better.

• Like 1

I’m not actually in Columbia , I bet Columbia was a couple degrees warmer. But yes Columbia is starting to get a decent UHI. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

They'll give me hottest and coldest for the day as well as historically but I don't think they have a feature to show hour to hour. Would be really cool if there was a way to do that and export the data to excel

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JLM said:

My mule also spear pulled, albeit mine is so so much smaller than yours. It just went pinnate lol

But yea, fronds are all green and the spear that pulled was black on the end. Ive applied the recommended tactics with nothing to show for at the moment. Im wondering if ill need to cut it back like yours, but there isnt a whole lot to cut back. Might just have to buy a whole new palm and be done with it. If this one survives, then i have 2 mules instead of 1. Luckily they are quite cheap for their size. This time i think ill grow it in a pot for a year or two before planting. My super mule should be fully ready to go in the ground this spring after being potted up for almost a year now. I have had to upsize multiple times.

That's a bummer man, I've lost so many palms to different reasons over the past 4 years and it never gets any easier when it happens. I had a feeling this mule was going to be the first to succumb to a bad winter but i was really hoping I was wrong haha. It looks very different than my other 4. I guess there still is hope but it's really not in a good spot at the moment

Good luck with that super mule, I think I'm going to add one to the collectionin the next year or so

• Like 1

Is she trying to flower? I would see that as a good sign. At least there are signs of life now. Hope she makes a full recovery!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

6 minutes ago, JLM said:

Is she trying to flower? I would see that as a good sign. At least there are signs of life now. Hope she makes a full recovery!

Yessir, that is the base of a new inflorescence. I cut down below the flower tho so it luckily won't be using any energy on that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

She's trying...

20230317_091504.jpg

20230317_091517.jpg

20230317_091526.jpg

Good luck with the mule, and hope that you find a four leaf clover for some extra luck with the mule. Happy St. Patricks day!

Edited by ChicagoPalma
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Yessir, that is the base of a new inflorescence. I cut down below the flower tho so it luckily won't be using any energy on that

Palms always want to put energy into that flower even when dying, my Trachy doing that too.  My Trachy pushing out inflorescence's like gangbusters.  Fronds barely growing.  I cut the inflorescence as soon as I could.

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Alive

20230423_113143.jpg

20230423_113216.jpg

This may seem off but this photo kinda reminds me of the movie Deadpool when he gets his legs lopped off and he starts to regrow “baby” legs 🤦‍♂️🤕😂

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RJ said:

This may seem off but this photo kinda reminds me of the movie Deadpool when he gets his legs lopped off and he starts to regrow “baby” legs 🤦‍♂️🤕😂

😂 I'm never gonna look at this palm the same

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RJ said:

I shit you not this is what I see in the parking lot after I responded to you 😂

Unbelievable

20230424_091429.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

I shit you not this is what I see in the parking lot after I responded to you 😂

Unbelievable

20230424_091429.jpg

Oh that’s a freaken riot 🤣

• Like 2