IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Washy after 5F . Did my protection work ?

WSimpson

Yes , it worked .

Here it is right before the cold came down a couple days before Christmas eve . Looks warm under those blankets .

52582019477_784e4f8d4b_b.jpg

Today :

52746964202_759e5273f5_b.jpg

52747737279_95ff7ec9c3_b.jpg

I left some  lights on  for that festive look . Once it fills out this summer it should look pretty cool .

52747488276_a44c0d8092_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Thanks , 

I had a mild winter but for 23rd of December with a low of 11F , and the 24th with a High of 28F and a Low    of 6F . The next 2 nights had Lows of 17F and 15F .

To sum it up ,  those 4 night's Lows and 1 day's low High were the only really cold period all winter . There were no other teens all winter .

Will

• Like 3

Awesome.  Keep us updated I want to know exactly how long it takes to come back and look good as I have 2 in pots.  wink wink

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

35 minutes ago, Allen said:

Awesome.  Keep us updated I want to know exactly how long it takes to come back and look good as I have 2 in pots.  wink wink

Usually it looks somewhat full enough to be respectable in May . 

Thanks

22 minutes ago, jwitt said:

I've seen worse on trimmed palms in AZ. 

Nice job!

Thanks 

It's frond hardy to 23F so that 6F on Christmas Eve was going to zap all the green on the fronds and petioles . All that green you see is mainly new growth from a mild February and early March .

An awesome and effective method for your washingtonia. I believe i recognize it from the hardy palms forum years ago? Well done. 

23 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

An awesome and effective method for your washingtonia. I believe i recognize it from the hardy palms forum years ago? Well done. 

Thanks , it's a pretty easy protection method , and it's worked well for 6 out of the 11 years I've needed to use that protection method . 

Will

Right before the cold came down ;   in December .

52574087390_0523d0a5b4_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 4

On 3/14/2023 at 4:04 PM, Will Simpson said:

Thanks , 

I had a mild winter but for 23rd of December with a low of 11F , and the 24th with a High of 28F and a Low    of 6F . The next 2 nights had Lows of 17F and 15F .

To sum it up ,  those 4 night's Lows and 1 day's low High were the only really cold period all winter . There were no other teens all winter .

Will

That’s about the same as Dallas this winter. Hit 11 twice, but only 17 days below freezing in total. 

and since December 1st have had 38 days about 70, and 65 days above 60 

You purchased some of the Fayetteville Filibusta babies from me. Didn't you? If I'm not confused about that, how are those doing? 

On 3/22/2023 at 2:59 PM, knikfar said:

You purchased some of the Fayetteville Filibusta babies from me. Didn't you? If I'm not confused about that, how are those doing? 

Two are doing well and will be planted soon . I lost one due to neglect over the winter and forgot to water it well enough .

I'm looking forward to seeing those 2 palms growing over the years .

Thanks 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:21 AM, DreaminAboutPalms said:

That’s about the same as Dallas this winter. Hit 11 twice, but only 17 days below freezing in total. 

and since December 1st have had 38 days about 70, and 65 days above 60 

That's pretty mild to have only 17 lows below 32F .

1 hour ago, Will Simpson said:

That's pretty mild to have only 17 lows below 32F .

Average is like 23 nights per winter with 1-2 at or below 20