IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

October Weather Thread

LA PALM BOY

well, september was a good month here, with nearly 10" - which might be the total for jun,jul and aug combined...and oct saw over 4" the first week! better late than never. I had 63.1F yesterday morning and 64.3F this morning but its 87F at almost 1pm which means a HOT sun. oh well, maybe a weak tropstorm will bully through - you know, the kind the weather channel screams about and sends reporters scurrying, just to see a palm frond fall! lol Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

(elHoagie @ Oct. 13 2007,10:41)

Almost 25mm (1 inch) here, and it looks like we might get a little more.

It's only mid October and we've had two good soakings already.  This is the best/earliest start of the rainy season I've ever seen.  Maybe we'll make up for last year...

0.80 at my place for a total of nearly 2"/0.50mm since July [start of rain year].

Some good news, Jack.  The Pacific north of Hawaii is recording ocean temps 2-3c above normal.  If this anomaly remains in place then California could experience a wet winter.  There was a similar condition in the Pacific in 2005 resulting in nearly 55"/1.37m [the most I have ever recorded w/ several 24-hr periods over 5 inches  :P

Glad I finished the terracing of lower slope  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Haven't had as much rain as the LA basin, but I'm gettin some, and its NICE.....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 weeks later...

It has rained lightly off and on all day here in Oceanside. Enough to have the windshield wipers on intermittent when I've been out driving. Anyone else gettin' any?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Nothing but a few fat drops  :( pressure is too high Quite mild this evening but air quality is unhealthful

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

No rain as usual, 90F high 56F low, my palms love the weather.  My largest bizzie opened its 8th frond of the year today with another monster spear(almost 4" in diameter) moving up right behind it.  All my palms are still evolving spears, wonder when it(the growing season) will end.  I am starting to consider other species here.  I saw a royal that survived ~ 20F at treeland(lost all fronds, put 4 new ones out), and a phoenix rupicola that was gorgeous after our nasty winter in '07.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I just looked at our 10-day forecast, and our numbers appear to be.... average.

YAY! Average!

It seems like months since we've had a day that wasn't unseasonably warm, cold, dry, or humid.

October comes to a close as we move one month closer to winter  :o in the northern hemisphere

Contrary to what people may think, October was cooler than normal in spite of the deadly santa ana event.  In-fact even during the wind storms, the maximums were basically confined to the 90's or cooler.  Overall a little rain and a week of strong wind but otherwise not much to talk about.

OCTOBER 2007

AVE MAX: 81.1 /NORM: 84F/28.8c

AVE MIN: 60.2 /NORM: 63F/17.2c

HIGHEST TEMP: 94F/34.4c

LOWEST TEMP: 55F/17.2c

RAIN: 0.80

TOTAL: 1.88 [since July 1]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Oct 07 for San Antonio:

AVG Hi: 85.2 Low: 61.6

AVERAGE MONTHLY: 73.4  

TOTAL PRECIP FOR MONTH:   0.75    

HIGHEST:    93 ON 18 Oct    

LOWEST:     42 ON 26,23 Oct

October 2007 for my yard----

Average maximum temperature: +86.3 °F

Average minimum temperature: +71.4 °F

Maximum temperature: +92.1 °F at 14:27:00 on 07 October

Minimum temperature: +64.8 °F at 07:52:00 on 12 October

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

This was the first October in 10 years where the temp didn't drop below 60F.  Now, the warm November theory gets put to the test again.  If we get more than 4 or 5 nights in the 40's, it could be a cold winter.  A warm winter has always been preceded by a warm November.  This is research done when my idle time was more (much more) abundant.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Happ - My high was the same as yours, but check out my low from October 8th. :o

post-662-1193947690_thumb.jpg

Driest October in 4 years.  See it at:

Rain in Wai`anae

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Steve - It looks like you are having the driest year in 4 years also. I just looked up your location on google map, and it's hard to believe you are getting so little rain there. Is this freakishly unusual?

Not really.  The Wai`anae Mts are in the rain shadow of the Ko`olau Mts.  Both sort of parallel each other.  Most of the rain falls on the Ko`olau summit and what's left usually falls on the windward side of the Wai`anae Mts.  Little as the chart shows makes it down slope.

Warm air can hold more moisture that cool air and so as the air flow goes over the Mts it rains and then as it comes down my valley it warm and can retain the remaining water.

There are forcasts of more rain tonight and this week.

There is a rain guage farther up the valley at maybe 1000' and it recorded 0.39 while I had 0.2 the same 24 hr period.  Higher up I'm sure there was more rain.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

(happ @ Oct. 31 2007,20:19)

October comes to a close as we move one month closer to winter  :o in the northern hemisphere

Contrary to what people may think, October was cooler than normal in spite of the deadly santa ana event.  In-fact even during the wind storms, the maximums were basically confined to the 90's or cooler.  Overall a little rain and a week of strong wind but otherwise not much to talk about.

OCTOBER 2007

AVE MAX: 81.1 /NORM: 84F/28.8c

AVE MIN: 60.2 /NORM: 63F/17.2c

HIGHEST TEMP: 94F/34.4c

LOWEST TEMP: 55F/17.2c

RAIN: 0.80

TOTAL: 1.88 [since July 1]

Happ-

I thought we were going to have a La Nina event this year. Any change to this?

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

David

Based on NOAA statistical data we are experiencing a "weak to moderate"-strength La Nina.  How that translates this winter is anyone's guess  :laugh:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23