IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Farm

Tad

the trench is a french drain sorta thing, the benches double to hold the tall one gallon pots, the wooden slats keep the tall one gallons from falling thru, the moshav sent the cuttings early so we had to use some of the pre existing benches to set the trays on. i will use the downstairs part to hold trays and sprout seed during the winter.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(palmsforpleasure @ Sep. 29 2007,22:55)

Looks like you will need a nice cold beer at the end of the day

no cervesas, but I do enjoy a cold topo chico(mexican mineral water) at the end of the day,, :)

If I was drinkin beer none of this would ever get done!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

Dear Tad  :)

first of all thanks a lot for the step by step illustration of the shade house construction.the entire work seems to be metisculy done in search of perfection...Fentastic work.

And the the mist sprayer in action was lovely to watch..

And its nice to see your kid enjoying your work..

I was very curious & eager to see this thread all this time_so a special thanks for that and also for teaching us all how to build a world class shade house,if anyone wants to build one.

Lots of love to u & your kid,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

jeff zone 8 here is a picture of the benches in use,

this is what they were built for, the tall one gallon pots.

these are some of the olive trees that are being grown.

post-18-1191156334_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

here is the sneeze guard we built to keep the mist off the controls. it is hinged from the top,

post-18-1191156452_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

here is my coconut, gotta keep palms mentioned :cool:

it grows well in the spring and summer and stalls out in the winter

post-18-1191156538_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tad, where can I find the EZ winder roll up device you show and does it wind from one end or both and what is the max length it will handle? Thanks for showing us your setup. Are you growing the olives to sell or for starting an orchard?

David Glover

Growing cold hardy palms and tropicals in Coldspring, Tx

http://www.tejastropicals.com

Kinney Bonded Warehouse, Donna,Tx

this one is rolling up 48 feet. one end only

the olives belong to a company whose owners are from argentina,France,and Texas, they come from Israel and are the only ones of this variety in th U.S.

They are being contract grown for this group primarily for production of olive oil, they want to grow a couple of batches of these trees, sell off a bunch to cover the initial investment and plant the rest on a farm they are planning to buy.

as a retirement venture for 2 of the brothers.

Once they get going these things are pretty speedy, some of the first rooted cuttings that were brought to the farm a few months ago are already past 2 feet tall and will be bumped up into larger container soon.

Abraham Lincoln

Off topic, but what is the olive variety?  We seem to get the same types here all the time (Mission, etc.).

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

k-18 developed by the Israeli's

Abraham Lincoln

Tad, Great post! I do not know how I missed it. You are the real deal and you are a tremendous asset to this Forum, particularly from that Valley area that is so interesting to Palm enthusiasts. Additionally, I greatly enjoy your keen use of the Texas idiom and encourage it's continuation.This applies to other high adepts also like Steve.(chin-up, grasshopper)

What you look for is what is looking

this is a pic taken this morning from cuttings that were stuck on september 7th, 2007

Now I am no expert on olive trees, and I am no expert when it comes to rooting cuttings, but so far so good.

post-18-1191249326_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I hope this deal works out because if I can get them to the one gallon stage they are pretty easy to take care of.

post-18-1191249468_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tad, where exactly are you located. I have a slow growing coconut at my house, but the ones at my office which are growing in river sand are growing like weeds. (needed to elevate my slab about 6 ft so I could get flood insurance) All the other plants I put in the ground at the office are also growing about 5x faster.

That a great project to see! Thanks for sharing this pics step for step.

Robbin

Southwest

(oliver @ Oct. 01 2007,11:48)

Tad, where exactly are you located. I have a slow growing coconut at my house, but the ones at my office which are growing in river sand are growing like weeds. (needed to elevate my slab about 6 ft so I could get flood insurance) All the other plants I put in the ground at the office are also growing about 5x faster.

I am in Weslaco Tx, my cocnut only gets a half day of full sun, then what it gets is filtered thru one of the shade houses.

Abraham Lincoln

Dip n Grow, at a pretty high rate, soaked overnight

Abraham Lincoln

This is a great thread Tad. Well done, congrats...Polycarbonate is still quite expensive here in Brazil but it might work fine for wind protection... Am I too curious if I ask about the average prices for the final structure and some extra devices? Thanks.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

the olive people have about 6500 invested in the whole thing including,benches,cuttings,labor,materials.

Abraham Lincoln

Facinating. I always enjoy seeing your farm. How long before the 4000 trees will be in production? Are they going to be grown nearby in Texas. And I think you may have already mentioned previously, but why this particular israeli variety is prefered? Higher quality or is it the higher quantity of oil? Will the olive itself be marketed as well, or is this more of a by-product in producing the oil from the seed? Thanks Tad

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Tad,

I see you are using Netafim 4 Micronet nozzles,  what pulse time and interval time are you using?

I'm looking ito doing a similar setup to propagate Wollemi Pine cuttings.

Thanks

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

(Alicehunter2000 @ Oct. 02 2007,22:43)

Facinating. I always enjoy seeing your farm. How long before the 4000 trees will be in production? Are they going to be grown nearby in Texas. And I think you may have already mentioned previously, but why this particular israeli variety is prefered? Higher quality or is it the higher quantity of oil? Will the olive itself be marketed as well, or is this more of a by-product in producing the oil from the seed? Thanks Tad

some of the olives will go into field production, where ??????? I dont know, they still have 2 years under federal quarantine here...some of the olives will be sold off to cover the cost of the big shade house,prop house,and cuttings and plants,my fees, etc etc  

this variety is highly adaptable and tolerates salty water, fruits prolificly and at a very young age with a low occurance af alternance.

these things are supposed to fruit in the 2nd and 3rd year, I am guessing 2nd or 3rd year in the field.

from what I gather it is a major oil fruit but can be a eating type as well.

it's main draw is it is easy production, it's from Israel, and it grows well in crummy conditions

Abraham Lincoln

(Cycadcenter @ Oct. 03 2007,00:27)

Tad,

I see you are using Netafim 4 Micronet nozzles,  what pulse time and interval time are you using?

I'm looking ito doing a similar setup to propagate Wollemi Pine cuttings.

Thanks

Bruce

this week is every 10 minutes for 8 seconds, I have a 24 hour clock that turns the pulse unit on at 7 and off at 6:30 p.m.

post-18-1191422184_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

another action shot

post-18-1191422227_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

i am also experimenting with the micro rotor sprinklers, great if you need a heavier droplet size.

post-18-1191422295_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

filtration is an absolute must, this house is on city water, but you still have to filter it.

the lpd's (leak prevention device) are brutal and cannot be unplugged once they are fouled....at least I havent figured it out yet.

post-18-1191422447_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

..the lpd or foot valve is the egg shaped thing above the four way mist nozle

post-18-1191422493_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Wow, Tad!

Great thread (although I feel I must warn you about the dearth of "palmyness").  Also, let me reiterate what a pleasure it was to meet you and your dad and spend some time at your places.  I've got some pics of my commando plant on the island at home I'll post for you at lunchtime.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Just to keep the palminess in the thread......what kind of palms will you be transplanting into the house after the olive trees.

Ok....now......I want a couple of those other non-palm plants you got there......you say a two year wait?.....shipping to Florida?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Dear Tad  :)

lovely equipements & gadgets i love it.

but i have a request to make can you please shift your writings to something dark or better still to the regular colour..

since my eyes find it very difficult to read & concentrate your post_Please.

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

here are 2250 palms!! :P

chamaerops humillis!!!

post-18-1191438719_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

this is in the prop house, these are trays full of livistona decora, with a delightful hats off to Bruce "phoenix king" Ironmonger!! I couldnt resist testing it out to see if germination was improved, by a warmer nighttime temp!!

post-18-1191438864_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Oct. 03 2007,15:11)

here are 2250 palms!! :P

Thanks Tad  :)

its quite clear and easy on our eyes_thanks.

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

the potting soil recieved a new tarp today, a heavy duty tarp which at one time was a billboard, :cool:  this will have to do until my next big project! hopefully this one will last a while!!

post-18-1191540205_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the price of this tarp was wonderful, FREE!!!!!

actually I will have to repay with favors and what not but thats what friends are for!! :)

post-18-1191540345_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

You're making me jealous...can't wait to get out of house remodel mode and back into nursery mode  :(

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....