IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Macrozamia giants

ghar41

After spending the last 30 years growing palms and cycads, I have settled in with a greater fascination for cycads.  They are quite diverse in color shape and form and have proven to be mostly adaptable to my given space, soil and climate.

Among the many beautiful and interesting genera among these plants, none seem to quite possess the magnificence of the Macrozamia giants.  This M mooreii sits close to the pool so therefor it receives a high and tight haircut each Spring.

IMG_8166.JPG

• Like 15
  • Upvote 4

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Another giant, this Macrozamia johnsonii was started from seed over 20 (25?) years ago.  Patience is certainly the key as these plants will sit nearly unchanged above the soil surface for many years before exploding into growth.  Already dwarfing other cycads in the garden, this specimen is still a pup.

IMG_8011.jpg

• Like 15
  • Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

3 hours ago, ghar41 said:

Another giant, this Macrozamia johnsonii was started from seed over 20 (25?) years ago.  Patience is certainly the key as these plants will sit nearly unchanged above the soil surface for many years before exploding into growth.  Already dwarfing other cycads in the garden, this specimen is still a pup.

IMG_8011.jpg

These giants do demand a good deal of space, which is perhaps why they aren't as frequently planted as some other species within the genus or some of the other cycad genus.

Clearly the drought resistance of some cycads makes them an appealing addition to palm gardens, since it reduces our overall water needs here as rates and availability of water become bigger issues with each passing year. 

Do you have male and female specimens to be able to pollinate any of yours?  With so many species in the genus I haven't seen but a few ever readily available.   Are you growing many of the smaller species in this genus?  You have shown two nicely grown specimens of the larger ones so would love to see photos of more.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

When it comes to user friendly cycads, you can't beat Macrozamia's cousin Lepidozamia peroffskyana.  They get big, but have soft leaflets and unarmed petioles & rachis.  I don't recall cold hardiness on these.  Have you grown this or hopei?

20230314_163906.jpg

• Like 3

Hello,

for ma

Yes, I like L p as well.  I like their look in large containers and they seem to do well for many years with it.

IMG_8172.jpg

• Like 4

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

A big Macrozamia boy in the neighborhood, a couple of blocks in the photo below.  The caudex girth can be put in perspective by comparing it to the telephone pole.  I don't recall which species this is.  I thought he had a label next to it, but its either been lost or was hidden among adjacent plants. 

20230314_174622.jpg

• Like 1

Super nice plants. I have a small communis, but have been eyeing some large macrozamia at a local nursery lately... 

Thanks for sharing

-Josue

20 hours ago, Tracy said:

When it comes to user friendly cycads, you can't beat Macrozamia's cousin Lepidozamia peroffskyana.  They get big, but have soft leaflets and unarmed petioles & rachis.  I don't recall cold hardiness on these.  Have you grown this or hopei?

I have an L. Peroffskyana about that size in the ground in the SW corner.  It is mostly exposed to the sky with some 80' tall oak tree canopy about 20' to the West, but nothing directly overhead.  It took no damage at 30F with heavy frost, maybe 25% burn at 25F with frost, and no significant damage anywhere in the upper 20s.  It (and Spinulosum) are a lot hardier in my yard than I expected.  I want to try Hopei (or another Peroffskyana) in other spots.  Leu Gardens has both in a canopy-protected area, I don't recall seeing cold damage on them, at least not when I have visited.

11 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Super nice plants. I have a small communis, but have been eyeing some large macrozamia at a local nursery lately... 

Thanks for sharing

-Josue

You should jump on them Josue.  Any idea on which species?  They don't seem to be as readily available these days around hete, at least not compared to some other genus.

• 11 months later...

Glen, I love your Macrozamia photos.  they look awesome.  Curious, it seems in your photos that your Macrozamia mooreii appears to have more of a fountain "recurve" to the leaf.  (exactly what I am looking for).  But I have seen photos of M. johnsonii that look like they are just as recurved, or perhaps they are mis-labeled.  Do you have any thoughts on which of the 2 are more recurved?  Also, I have read that moreii are smaller.  Have you found this also to be the same?  Thx for the feedback.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:51 AM, Tracy said:

20230314_163906.jpg

Hi Tracy peroffskyana are native to my area where I live they take cold temperatures as low as o degrees Celsius possibly even colder Iam pretty sure no frost but cool temperatures for sure