IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trithrinax campestris?

fr8train

Does anyone sell these as live plants in the US? I have one seedling I bought probably 10+ years ago that's still putting out strap leaves. I see very nice plants when I look online, but they're always in Europe. 

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

• 2 months later...

I was able to pick up one from jungle music, along with one schizophylla, which I'm really excited about, but I'm always looking for more if anyone happens to have any. I picked up over 100 seeds earlier in the year, but so far nothing, but with the how slowly these grow, I'd prefer at least a plant that's going palmate. 

Edited by fr8train
  • Like 1

Goodluck Tad! Post some pictures when you get it planted & updates over time 👍😁👍

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

From what I’ve heard only campestris is hardy long term in Central Texas. They are also incredibly slow, especially when small. I tried seedlings a few years ago and decided it wasn’t worth it. I would just buy the largest plant you can once you are ready to go in the ground. They don’t do well in containers here. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 12:37 AM, Jubaea_James760 said:

Goodluck Tad! Post some pictures when you get it planted & updates over time 👍😁👍

Thank you, will do :greenthumb:

17 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

From what I’ve heard only campestris is hardy long term in Central Texas. They are also incredibly slow, especially when small. I tried seedlings a few years ago and decided it wasn’t worth it. I would just buy the largest plant you can once you are ready to go in the ground. They don’t do well in containers here. 

I bought a strap leaf plant from Jungle Music in like 2008 and it's just now putting out its first palmate leaves. It's spent most of its life in a pot in Illinois and Wyoming though, so that's probably slowed it down a lot. 

Do you still have your seedlings? How big are they now if so? 

Edited by fr8train
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fr8train said:

Thank you, will do :greenthumb:

I bought a strap leaf plant from Jungle Music in like 2008 and it's just now putting out its first palmate leaves. It's spent most of its life in a pot in Illinois and Wyoming though, so that's probably slowed it down a lot. 

Do you still have your seedlings? How big are they now if so? 

They just died one by one over a two year period. I bought a small 3 trunk specimen from Jungle Music. It lost one of its trunks at some point. I brought it in for the 2021 freeze. 2022 I covered it for 18°F and ice. It was alive but not particularly happy but last summers heat and intense sun did it in in a container. I still have a multi leaf non trunking specimen. They are incredibly slow. I’m guessing at a certain size in ground they decide to drastically pick up speed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

They just died one by one over a two year period. I bought a small 3 trunk specimen from Jungle Music. It lost one of its trunks at some point. I brought it in for the 2021 freeze. 2022 I covered it for 18°F and ice. It was alive but not particularly happy but last summers heat and intense sun did it in in a container. I still have a multi leaf non trunking specimen. They are incredibly slow. I’m guessing at a certain size in ground they decide to drastically pick up speed.

Oh wow, so it was the heat that killed it? That's good to know, I'll keep mine in the shade until I'm ready to put them in the ground. The one I've had from a strap leave just keeps chugging along, though incredibly slowly. The ones from Jungle Music I'd hate to lose, they've very attractive even at their small size. 

• 3 months later...

Had a pleasant surprise when I check the community pot of Trithrinax campestris seeds! Only took 3 years 😂

Key take away for me, don't give up on them.

20230903_152242.thumb.jpg.c762d3d1ee2b0895bdca23d76bd22f89.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106