IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some palms after winter in Holland

Axel Amsterdam

I took some street pictures of survivors in the western parts of Holland. 

Washingtonia outside UHI of Amsterdam, around 14 miles from the coast unprotected

14A60C17-6D67-4167-836F-AEE2BFECFDE9.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 3

washingtonia in an even more exposed spot also around 14 miles inland

48DB12E0-D616-4B5B-9883-08A2BFE34D4E.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Unprotected washingtonia in UHI of The Hague, 5 miles from the coast

BBA7C8D4-DF15-4C5E-9C8F-B92A3A02D8CF.jpeg

C4D19D2E-D098-4E95-8D66-9CC5041099EB.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 3

And some potted ones in February in Amsterdam UHI. So there is a clear difference in leafdamage between washingtonia in the UHI and outside (obviously) but they all seem alive which is good news. It’s true that all these washies were planted 2 years ago, so 2 winters now, except the large one in The Hague. That one is an exception growing in a micro climate within the UHI, unprotected this winter as the picture is from mid February.

D5621BCE-D877-45A0-A9FE-7835EC42643C.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I had no idea that you can grow so many palm trees in Holland that's truly amazing !! Seems to be that they can handle winter just fine . Keep them growing . 

• Like 3

Surprised as well, but they have an 8b/8a climate in most of the Netherlands, but that doesn't mean it can't get cold enough to kill them, so I'm truly surprised.

belgiumzone.jpeg

12 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Surprised as well, but they have an 8b/8a climate in most of the Netherlands, but that doesn't mean it can't get cold enough to kill them, so I'm truly surprised.

belgiumzone.jpeg

I mean, it kinda does mean it doesn't get cold enough to kill them, these are all 8b palms.

Lucas

1 hour ago, MarcusH said:

I had no idea that you can grow so many palm trees in Holland that's truly amazing !! Seems to be that they can handle winter just fine . Keep them growing . 

The 2018 beast wiped out every Washingtonia that wasn’t protected in the Netherlands. Certainly in Amsterdam anyway. The January 2021 event pretty much did the same to anything that wasn’t protected. They had like 2 weeks solid below freezing with lows down to -12C / 10F and at least one day that didn’t get above -5C / 23F. The 2018 event was even colder, but didn’t last as long. The ones shown here are new plantings and that biggish one in The Hague got wrapped I think.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Maybe they would be better off planting windmill palms instead of washies.  Low teens for robustas are fatal.  

5 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

Maybe they would be better off planting windmill palms instead of washies.  Low teens for robustas are fatal.  

Pretty much, but some minor to decent protection will do them washies enough for the winter.

• Like 1

All of them look to have come through this past winter with little to moderate damage. They should be fine by summer. Take one winter at a time. Thanks for the guided tour.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks all. Yes the winters vary considerably here. Last winter between 0C and -2C for a low accompanied by loads of rain, all these palms survived but my washingtonia filifera spearpulled. 

This year -5C for a low but days around freezing point. So moderate damage but most will survive. 

And then every couple of years we get hit by a -8C/-9C winter, nearly always accompanied by subzero days and everything unprotected is gone, except trachies and chamaerops. Chamaerops have survived the last decade in the western parts of Holland and look surprisingly healthy yearround.

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 3

And then there are the absolute lucky exceptions to the rule that survived the -8/-9C events with subzero days with a bit of fleece around the spear

764BB7DB-FFBA-4649-8DDB-6A2C235024F7.jpeg

• Like 6

These have been growing in situ for more than a decade protected with fleece and tarp during frostevents, circa 12 miles inland (summerpic)

4C6F20AC-5ABC-421E-9FD1-6B815193005B.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 10

These grow unprotected in the absolute mildest coastal location of Holland only a couple of hundred meters from the sea (summerpics)

64CEBF9B-F11E-40F3-8E86-2B243260AEB1.jpeg

3FD1C4D8-5F1A-433E-9F01-C664F4A1ECF8.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 8

chamaerops cerifera does well here like humilis (unprotected in the western parts of Holland)

C18EDBB0-3147-4E98-BA9E-3ACA67613A81.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1

those are some nice palms!... I don't see any  Butia or Jubaea in your parts? Your climate is not very diferant then my climate with similar temperatures in winter and Butia and Jubaea seem to be doing fine around here. I  should plant another Washingtonia, I never tryed another one after the 2010 winter but they should be fine in most winters. I am also surprised how well my Livistona chinensis is holding up after all those years with only some fleece for protection during cold spells. Only times it showed damage was years ago during it's first couple of winters out of it's frost free enclosure.

• Like 1

There is a smaller butia i posted above which was only spearprotected, i believe that’s an eriospatha, it’s very green. And ofcourse the larger odorata with greygreen fronds above near the sea. I know only  2 large jubaea in the Amsterdam zoo. These survived all winters since 2014. 

Can you post a picture of the livistona? That’s something special in our climate.

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 2

Great pictures and proof that Holland provides a good climate for some types of palms . I'm amazed and I only lived 3 hours away from the border.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

There is a smaller butia i posted above which was only spearprotected, i believe that’s an eriospatha, it’s very green. And ofcourse the larger odorata with greygreen fronds above near the sea. I know only  2 large jubaea in the Amsterdam zoo. These survived all winters since 2014. 

Can you post a picture of the livistona? That’s something special in our climate.

I found some pictures of the palm somewhere during last summer... As you can see it is in a very protected spot. There is an old T. sp nova growing in front of the Livistona. I will remove it as it never realy does wel in this deep shade and the Livistona needs some more space. It's been there since 2006 and I stopped building the winter greenhouse somewhere around 2014 so it only get's some fleece for protection for the last 9 years.  It has the speed of a slow Sabal minor :p. I go visit my parents in a few days and make some more recent pictures.

liv1.jpg

liv2.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks Marcus and Kristof and all the people that liked the pictures. Kristof that first picture has great atmosphere and that frond is huge.

It’s still very hard to find anything besides trachies and chamaerops in gardens here as the winters are too cold for most other palms. The other plants that are planted by many people are oleanders and yucca rostrata which do really well and easily survive long term. 

I also found a reddit picture of the recent jubaea plantings. These jubaeas have been outside since 2014 i believe in large planters outside the UHI of Amsterdam and are now finally planted out in the city center.

BBD6FEF0-F469-4190-9833-622E35C5B567.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 8

To top it off, some nice rostrata’s that grow to perfection in this opposite to habitat climate and a beautiful oleander in Amsterdam during summer.

EA62892D-74AD-4329-85FB-9E0348E72547.jpeg

FE39BA23-A2D1-4081-9498-909F8ADE8C5D.jpeg

B478BE71-56CC-433F-BAC5-D9845F8586CE.jpeg

• Like 8

oh i forgot a special palm, butyagrus recent picture, not protected during the past winter and the current one. Outskirts of Rotterdam. According to the owner it’s very slow but still there it is.

2515EE1E-D3FE-450D-88C1-79EB4673C4A3.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 9

I figured a picture of a Dutch winter landscape of windmill and chamaerops should not be missing in this overview 😊(pictures around 2 years old):

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 7:32 AM, Little Tex said:

I mean, it kinda does mean it doesn't get cold enough to kill them, these are all 8b palms.

These will not make winters even zone 9a here in micro-climates of Vancouver Island. We need the Dutch climate to grow these Washingtonia. Nice growing exotica over there @Axel Amsterdam

12 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

These will not make winters even zone 9a here in micro-climates of Vancouver Island. We need the Dutch climate to grow these Washingtonia. Nice growing exotica over there @Axel Amsterdam

Does anyone in BC have any photos of the Norfolk Island pine growing in Tofino? 

Thanks for posting Axel. Especially in the province of Zeeland which is partly zone 9 you should able to grow more cold tender species. 

You see people in the Netherlands planting more things like Trachycarpus, Chamaerops, Olive trees and Oleanders in their garden.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

Does anyone in BC have any photos of the Norfolk Island pine growing in Tofino? 

I was contemplating a drive over to the west side of the island sometime this spring. I'm not sure where that tree is, but if I find it I'll be sure to snap a pic.

• Like 1

Nice pictures. Quite a few Washies. Here I'm a lone wolf with trying them. At least I don't know of any in my vicinity. I'm surprised your filifera spear pulled. Mine looks not amazing but the inner fronds and centre spears are still looking normal. My filibusta looks like crap. No spear pull either (yet). I check every couple of days. But both palms haven't been protected and they have seen worse in Feb. 2021. Btw I planted my Santa Catarina the other day. You're very lucky because at least in Amsterdam people are going further than just Trachies and Chamaerops.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Yes, well it was a twin washy (originally a pulled seedling and one from seed from under a group of true filiferas) and one spearpulled and never regrew after last winter. I dug up the other one in december to replant in a much better sunnier position as it was really slow although it had been in the ground since 2014.

Today i noticed a nice silvery chamaerops:

2704E138-D9D5-4FF1-91E9-AB6D2C826FDD.jpeg

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

Yes, well it was a twin washy (originally a pulled seedling and one from seed from under a group of true filiferas) and one spearpulled and never regrew after last winter. I dug up the other one in december to replant in a much better sunnier position as it was really slow although it had been in the ground since 2014.

Today i noticed a nice silvery chamaerops:

2704E138-D9D5-4FF1-91E9-AB6D2C826FDD.jpeg

Ah sad to hear man... That's a standard Chamaerops but with more silvery undersides right?

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

47 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

yes i believe this is called argentea sometimes. It’s not cerifera.

Interesting. I have posted my front garden one somewhere here in this forum and it always had rather light green on the upper side of the leaves and the undersides were very very white with what I guess is evaporation protection. When I planted it, in it's first years several people told me that my palm had bugs. 😂 But I guess that's just a variety of standard Chamaerops. My other Chamaerops all look different.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂