IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pre 2021 naturalized Houston queen palm

Little Tex

Ok so I was clear out some stuff on a sheltered part of the house to maybe plant a palm there and to my surprise there already was, my neighbors to the back had two nice sized queens before 2021 so it must be from that, so I guess bushes and a south facing wall were enough to get it through 2021 unless it germinated after2E27E79B-7BB2-4228-9164-F83C3968AF0E.thumb.jpeg.1dcc5c615f3f1ca604e79cfc99de3bfd.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Lucas

She was too close to the house so I potted her up time for a haircut now!

E3EBD524-25BD-4C80-BDB1-A2679104FE7E.jpeg

• Like 1

Lucas

Wow that's so cool! I love these kind of surprises. I hope it has survived the potting well and it will thrive soon, now that it gets more light. What are you planning to do with it?

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

1 hour ago, Hortulanus said:

Wow that's so cool! I love these kind of surprises. I hope it has survived the potting well and it will thrive soon, now that it gets more light. What are you planning to do with it?

Ill probably grow it out, and plant it in the valley at the ranch, Its probably not worth it here.  At least in the RGV it doesnt get cold enough to burn them even solid 9b/10a

• Like 1

Lucas

15 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

Ill probably grow it out, and plant it in the valley at the ranch, Its probably not worth it here.  At least in the RGV it doesnt get cold enough to burn them even solid 9b/10a

Sounds like a good idea. So you have a second place further south?

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Just now, Hortulanus said:

Sounds like a good idea. So you have a second place further south?

Not mine, family leases it its hunting property, but I can just plant it there if I want. Most of my extended family on my mother's side live down there, on my dads side they all live in Colorado or Oregon, not the best for palms haha. On the hunting property theres a few naturalized robusta as per usual. Although my great grandfather used to own a ranch in mexico with a huge stand of native mexicana, when his children sold it, my uncle dug up two seedlings, he kept one, and gave the other to my grandmother, so at least the palms can stay in the family, that was 50-60 years ago so they are HUGE, I still have offspring from that palm so im keeping the family legacy :)

• Like 1

Lucas

Plant it.  It will be good for Houston unless we get another Feb 21 Freeze, which isn't likely anytime soon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Not mine, family leases it its hunting property, but I can just plant it there if I want. Most of my extended family on my mother's side live down there, on my dads side they all live in Colorado or Oregon, not the best for palms haha. On the hunting property theres a few naturalized robusta as per usual. Although my great grandfather used to own a ranch in mexico with a huge stand of native mexicana, when his children sold it, my uncle dug up two seedlings, he kept one, and gave the other to my grandmother, so at least the palms can stay in the family, that was 50-60 years ago so they are HUGE, I still have offspring from that palm so im keeping the family legacy :)

That sounds amazing. A big property in a good climate where you are allowed to just plant things. And even more if it stays in the family and you know you can plant there long term. If I want a big property I really need some money. In Europe and especially where I live everything is so densly populated that big properties are rare and extremely expensive. For growing palms I would also need to stay in the closer vicinity because of the great microclimate and the UHI. But even a shabby small house with a small garden is 400 to 500k Euros minimum. For now I'm still planting in the small garden of my parent's house. And Colorado yes, not the best place for palms but Oregon has at least some nice spots to plant some. The value of any Sabal is incredible as most of them take ages to get big. I don't know how fast S. mexicana is though. :greenthumb:

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂