IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this palm dead?

ParrotheadVol

Hello. I live in East Tennessee and about 4 years ago I planted a couple of Windmill Palms out in my pool area. This past Christmas we had a string of 3 or 4 days where it was very cold (around zero). I noticed about a month ago that all of the fronds were brown on the ends and some were completely brown. I cut the ones off that were completely brown and cut most of the brown from the ones that still had some green. I'm trying to figure out if these trees are dead, which would absolutely suck if that were the case. I'm posting a few pics here of one of the palms in hopes that someone can advise me on what I should do.  Hopefully, there is hope here. I really don't want to start over. Thanks in advance.

Palm1.jpg

Palm2.jpg

Palm 3.jpg

Palm4.jpg

5 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Hello. I live in East Tennessee and about 4 years ago I planted a couple of Windmill Palms out in my pool area. This past Christmas we had a string of 3 or 4 days where it was very cold (around zero). I noticed about a month ago that all of the fronds were brown on the ends and some were completely brown. I cut the ones off that were completely brown and cut most of the brown from the ones that still had some green. I'm trying to figure out if these trees are dead, which would absolutely suck if that were the case. I'm posting a few pics here of one of the palms in hopes that someone can advise me on what I should do.  Hopefully, there is hope here. I really don't want to start over. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to PalmTalk!

It looks pretty rough.  Given that the spear leaf looks to have taken damage, give that a look.  Is it wobbly or easily pulled out?  If not, a good dose of fungicide or hydrogen peroxide in the crown should help ward off a secondary fungal infection that might finish what the cold didn't do.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

All of the fronds are brown on the ends, even though they've had several inches trimmed off of them. Should I cut all of them off?

Also, no when I pull on the spear it does not seem to want to come out. I would have to pull on it very hard to pull it out.

Edited by ParrotheadVol

I'd give it another month before removing the damaged fronds.  You'll want to be completely sure the risk of another cold snap has passed.  If the spear is solid, it has a shot at life. 

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Thanks for the advice.  How much hydrogen peroxide would you consider to be a good dose?

Also,  though damaged, will the spear eventually grow if this thing survives, or should I be looking for new ones to emerge?

2 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

How much hydrogen peroxide would you consider to be a good dose?

I usually apply about 10mL with a medical dosing syringe.  If you hear a lot of fizzing, you'll know there was a fungal infection.

2 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Also,  though damaged, will the spear eventually grow if this thing survives, or should I be looking for new ones to emerge?

It should grow out.  A lot of people on the site like to mark the spear and an adjacent petiole with a marker to monitor for growth.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Thank You! I applied the hydrogen peroxide and I did hear fizzing on both trees. Also marked the spears.

Is this a process that I should repeat, or is the one application sufficient?

Thanks again.

5 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Is this a process that I should repeat, or is the one application sufficient?

You're welcome.  Different growers have different protocols, some as much as once in the morning and once in the evening until the fizzing stops.  For the palms in the photos, once every couple of days ought to be sufficient to give them a shot at recovery.  Hope they make a comeback.

Lakeland, FL

• 2 months later...

Okay, so it's been a couple of months and the trees have starting growing.  I was very relieved to see that happening. One of them is looking really good. The other - which is also the same tree in the pics above - seems to be struggling a bit. The fronds are folding down as they grow.  It's has had plenty of water, so I don't think that is the issue. They are green, but just not standing up. Is another shot of peroxide in order perhapos?

palm a.jpg

palm b.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 8:55 AM, ParrotheadVol said:

Okay, so it's been a couple of months and the trees have starting growing.  I was very relieved to see that happening. One of them is looking really good. The other - which is also the same tree in the pics above - seems to be struggling a bit. The fronds are folding down as they grow.  It's has had plenty of water, so I don't think that is the issue. They are green, but just not standing up. Is another shot of peroxide in order perhapos?

They look a little weak, but considering what they are recovering from, not surprising.  I've seen this on a few palms after the December Debacle here.  Keep it moist and it should grow out of it.  If you see any brown mottling on the leaves, it could use a does ofH2O2.  Otherwise, it just needs time.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL