IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plant ID

2 minutes ago, MSX said:

Anyone have idea what this plant is?

il_1140xN.3079993072_9ID.thumb.jpg.c1fc27d716960a877f8b9e737ff039ba.jpg

Tough to say from such a distance, but, Seeing Coconuts in the background, ( a clue perhaps ) Would look through the Furcraea species, then some of the larger Agave  grown in more tropical areas.

• Like 1

Forget the plants, I'll take the car, please !

• Like 4

San Francisco, California

I was thinking a variegated Furcraea Foetida, or maybe an agave.  Agave Angustifolia Marginata looks about the same, but that only grows to about 4 or 5 feet diameter.  I might bet on Agave Sisalana Marginata.  They can easily get up to 8 feet diameter, though mine are struggling with the frost and don't get too large before getting burned back.  That one looks like it is just about to flower.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Forget the plants, I'll take the car, please !

That house looks pretty cool too.  

• Like 2

Thank you, guys! I do like the statement look of this huge plant, the only thing I wish it were just a bit hardier than it actually is! so I think in my climate I'll stick with a Yucca faxoniana (I think this one has the longest leaves of all yuccas) which is dimensionally much smaller though

Edited by MSX
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Furcraea selloana

Thanks!  I hadn't heard of that one, but it looks like it might be at least a few degrees hardier than Furcraea Foetida Marginata.  San Marcos Growers has it as being 25-28F hardy with some damage.  It's also on the web under the old name "Selloa" that was changed in 2016.  I'll have to try one of these!

• Upvote 1