IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mail order and nursery questions!

Hardypalms

Going to South Florida in a couple of months (😁😁😁) and i was going to bring back in my car 3-5  palms 1-3 gallons. This can creates some problems. From Key largo to Atlanta is a long ride and they are riding with you. They can block the view to the rear mirror. You could break one or two by accident ☹️. Doing a hotel stop halfway, i have brought them in the room. It is a little annoying at times.

Now my first question, in the States of course. What does mail order shipping cost is roughly for like 3, three feet tall palms? I know they ship bare rooted. I mean just an idea??? I think this route could be the best one even if shipping might be a little high.

Second question, i have bugged some of you with recommended nurseries from Orlando to Homestead and i appreciate all the places you gave me. So i researched them, and a lot are by appointment only. I kind of do not like this too much. What if you walk around and see nothing or prices too high? The poor owner drove 10 miles to open the place for you and you buy nothing. Or you buy something you don’t want since he/she opened for you.

Just wondering!

Thxs

Pat

If you don’t want to make appts with private nurseries, try chain garden centers.

Shipping: figure $15-25 for the first palm, $10-15 for each additional. UPS & FedEx may be more. That’s Priority Mail, not parcel post. Some palms (Bismarckia) cannot be bare rooted. Make sure seller confirms how he will pack/ship palms. He will tell whether he is comfortable with shipping or won’t do it at all.

Depending on your car, plan for carrying palms yourself. Bring tarps, tie your luggage to a roof rack. If you stop for the night, unload the car. You are making an investment, so don’t get lazy and risk a break-in/car theft.

Alternatively, rent a small Uhaul, fill with palms and tow them home.

Scarfing up palms should be an adventure not an ordeal. Improvise, strategize and have fun

• Like 8

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

If you don’t want to make appts with private nurseries, try chain garden centers.

Shipping: figure $15-25 for the first palm, $10-15 for each additional. UPS & FedEx may be more. That’s Priority Mail, not parcel post. Some palms (Bismarckia) cannot be bare rooted. Make sure seller confirms how he will pack/ship palms. He will tell whether he is comfortable with shipping or won’t do it at all.

Depending on your car, plan for carrying palms yourself. Bring tarps, tie your luggage to a roof rack. If you stop for the night, unload the car. You are making an investment, so don’t get lazy and risk a break-in/car theft.

Alternatively, rent a small Uhaul, fill with palms and tow them home.

Scarfing up palms should be an adventure not an ordeal. Improvise, strategize and have fun

Yes that’s a lot of work. I have done it when younger. The shipping might be worth it. But if i don’t buy mail order before i go to Florida, i m going to fill the car down there.

Up here, there are people that rent trucks at 3 or 4. One or two will drive to Florida and load the truck up. They share the cost.

Still not sure which way i want to go.

Thanks

Pat

For small palms, I have found better nurseries along I95 in Florida than up the Tpke or I75. Gainesville is good for landscape sized plants, but you need a larger vehicle. Also, some areas like Miami are cheaper, while north of there you might pay double.

Rockledge Gardens was reasonable years back. Daytona area I have no idea, St Augustine & JAX have decent prices.

• Like 1

If you want a needle palm northeast Ohio palms has nice 3 gal for $69 including shipping I also like to buy palms from Flouibunda palms but there max size is 1 gal but nice size

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeanK said:

For small palms, I have found better nurseries along I95 in Florida than up the Tpke or I75. Gainesville is good for landscape sized plants, but you need a larger vehicle. Also, some areas like Miami are cheaper, while north of there you might pay double.

Rockledge Gardens was reasonable years back. Daytona area I have no idea, St Augustine & JAX have decent prices.

Thxs for the tips Sean!

38 minutes ago, 96720 said:

If you want a needle palm northeast Ohio palms has nice 3 gal for $69 including shipping I also like to buy palms from Flouibunda palms but there max size is 1 gal but nice size

Yes, i have been looking at Floribunda, it gets good reviews. Thxs for the tip on the needles but i got 4- 18 years old in the ground! Looking for exotic ones (🌴☀️)

Thxs

Pat

• Like 1

I live near Rockledge and I can tell you that Rockledge Gardens was sold and haven’t seemed to ‘find their way” yet. And they don’t have any small palms so I wouldn’t bother with that. Especially if you are going south anyway. Generally the more south you go, the more options and the lower the prices. I wouldn’t go out of my way to try to find super exotic things anyway if they will end up in Atlanta. Your best bet is to go as far south as you are planning and look at big box stores, especially Walmart. I was in the Viera Walmart yesterday and they had nice bottle and spindle palms for $25. I’m pretty sure they were 3 gallons. They had other stuff too like queens and Adonidia but they were too large for a car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

I live near Rockledge and I can tell you that Rockledge Gardens was sold and haven’t seemed to ‘find their way” yet. And they don’t have any small palms so I wouldn’t bother with that. Especially if you are going south anyway. Generally the more south you go, the more options and the lower the prices. I wouldn’t go out of my way to try to find super exotic things anyway if they will end up in Atlanta. Your best bet is to go as far south as you are planning and look at big box stores, especially Walmart. I was in the Viera Walmart yesterday and they had nice bottle and spindle palms for $25. I’m pretty sure they were 3 gallons. They had other stuff too like queens and Adonidia but they were too large for a car.

Johnny

Thanks for the answer. I m planning on checking the big box stores too down there but we have the ones you listed up here, they just cost more.. Looking for palms like licalua, A. wrightii, Chamaedora, C. macrocarpa and a lot more… Depending what i find and prices. Thxs for the tip on prices being cheaper the more south i go. And these will stay potted, not stupid to put in ground in 7b… Grow lights, heat mats, humidifier, dragged outside on sunny warmer days. I think they gave me a couple good places to check out.

Thanks 👍🏻

Pat

If you feel like a pit stop in Jupiter I can give you Licuala grandis,  Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, Chamaedorea oblongata and some other stuff all in smaller containers that would be easy to put in your car. These are all easy to grow in pots. Probably some other stuff too. All free

Edited by redant
  • Like 4

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

3 hours ago, redant said:

If you feel like a pit stop in Jupiter I can give you Licuala grandis,  Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, Chamaedorea oblongata and some other stuff all in smaller containers that would be easy to put in your car. These are all easy to grow in pots. Probably some other stuff too. All free

Wow, sure!

Sending you a PM

Pat

8 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

I used to find big, healthy Butias in 10 inch pots for $15 at big box stores in Orlando-Kissimmee. I grew them in puts to about 3-ft+ then out in the yard. 

CLT -ATL along I85 use to be really bad for ice storms every couple of years. I gave up on Jelly palms.

2 hours ago, SeanK said:

I used to find big, healthy Butias in 10 inch pots for $15 at big box stores in Orlando-Kissimmee. I grew them in puts to about 3-ft+ then out in the yard. 

CLT -ATL along I85 use to be really bad for ice storms every couple of years. I gave up on Jelly palms.

My Butia spent its first winter in ground. Spear seemed about to pull and now first week in March, spear is growing back with a vengeance. Still the jury is still out with this Butia. My new other palms fared better this winter.

Pat

State road 997, right before homestead. There is a ton of nurseries and garden centers. Some open to the public, some not. Most of their stuff will not live North of Ocala, much less GA. What were you hoping to grab?

Earthworks Jax in Jacksonville FL has a huge selection of more hardier palms.

G&K nursery is great, good prices. They have a few palms but will need a trailer to haul them. Also  small garden center nearby. That’s off 441 near Lake City, FL.

I have purchased 4 Bismarck palms throughout Florida over the years. 7 gallon in a mid size car. I just dump a couple bottles of water in the pot overnight. Put the pot in first.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, D Palm said:

State road 997, right before homestead. There is a ton of nurseries and garden centers. Some open to the public, some not. Most of their stuff will not live North of Ocala, much less GA. What were you hoping to grab?

Earthworks Jax in Jacksonville FL has a huge selection of more hardier palms.

G&K nursery is great, good prices. They have a few palms but will need a trailer to haul them. Also  small garden center nearby. That’s off 441 near Lake City, FL.

I have purchased 4 Bismarck palms throughout Florida over the years. 7 gallon in a mid size car. I just dump a couple bottles of water in the pot overnight. Put the pot in first.

Thanks, i m going to investigate all your recommendations. Beside fir a Sabal lisa to go in the ground, i m looking for potted 1-3 GA zone 9-10 palms to keep under lights in the winter.

Thxs again

Pat

Up in St.Aug on Rte A1A there are 2 small places. 

1. Southern Horticulture has cold-hardy stuff at decent prices.

2. Leonardi's had some kind of Licualas and a Copernicia alba with over 3ft of trunk.

@HardypalmsEarthworks Jax has a Youtube channel.  Under the Video's click Palm, plenty of information.  It can help you decide if you want to add this stop or not.

Also, John’s Nursery is a must - they are about 2 miles northWEST of I95 on Rt 210 between St Augustine and Jacksonville - WELL WORTH a visit - and they try to specialize in cold hardy, quality, not run of the mill palms. I shop at Leonardi’s and Southern - both pretty darn good, but John’s is on a different scale and absolutely Excellent with great prices and recommendations too.

Good luck!

• Like 1

9a NE Florida: 2 Phoenix Sylvester; 1 p.robellini; 2 Bismarckia nobilis; 1 Trachycarpus fortunei; 3  livistonia chenesis; 1 Dypsis decaryi; 1 Rhapis excelsa; 1 Sabal palmetto; 1 (double) Copernicia alba; 1 Chamaedorea catractarum 1 Licuala grandis, 1 Beaucanea recurvata, numerous cycads, tropicals, orchids. Winter 2022/23 Low 25F

6 hours ago, Almisa said:

Also, John’s Nursery is a must - they are about 2 miles northWEST of I95 on Rt 210 between St Augustine and Jacksonville - WELL WORTH a visit - and they try to specialize in cold hardy, quality, not run of the mill palms. I shop at Leonardi’s and Southern - both pretty darn good, but John’s is on a different scale and absolutely Excellent with great prices and recommendations too.

Good luck!

Thxs i put him on my list

Pat