IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut palms grown in shade

Plantking165

How much shade do cocos tolerate I have 3 and my only place to put them is in a shaded area that gets very very little sun at all. Does anyone have any pics of coconuts grown in shade will they still develop well? Or become thin and stretched

1 hour ago, Plantking165 said:

How much shade do cocos tolerate I have 3 and my only place to put them is in a shaded area that gets very very little sun at all. Does anyone have any pics of coconuts grown in shade will they still develop well? Or become thin and stretched

They do very well in shade

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

4 minutes ago, redant said:

They do very well in shade

Like full shade they will still grow really well?

They may survive in shade but they prefer full sun and high heat.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

They may survive in shade but they prefer full sun and high heat.

How do they develop in shade?

I can’t say definitively because I have never and will never plant a coconut palm in shade. Canopy in FL is too precious to waste on a palm that cries for full sun. But I will speculate that:

1. Growth will be slower because of lack of sun. Coconuts are super fast in ideal conditions.

2. Maybe there will be some etiolation or stretching out

3. The palm may not look as full and healthy because of reduced light

4. As the palm grows it may lean, curve or reach toward a source of stronger light

On another note, a coconut growing in shade may have more protection from frost and cold winds in an arctic front because of overhead canopy. Does that possibility negate the benefits of full sun? Uh, no.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

25 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I can’t say definitively because I have never and will never plant a coconut palm in shade. Canopy in FL is too precious to waste on a palm that cries for full sun. But I will speculate that:

1. Growth will be slower because of lack of sun. Coconuts are super fast in ideal conditions.

2. Maybe there will be some etiolation or stretching out

3. The palm may not look as full and healthy because of reduced light

4. As the palm grows it may lean, curve or reach toward a source of stronger light

On another note, a coconut growing in shade may have more protection from frost and cold winds in an arctic front because of overhead canopy. Does that possibility negate the benefits of full sun? Uh, no.

Well I've got 2 Jamaican talls and a Panama tall I'm gonna plant there its my only place to put them, I can try and get the oak trimmed to let in more light, ill have to see what I can do, I'd put them in full sun if I could

• Like 1

Here are 4 that have been grown in deep shade since they were just sprouts.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

6 minutes ago, redant said:

Here are 4 that have been grown in deep shade since they were just sprouts.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

Those look pretty good for being in shade this is the area I'm gonna put my 3. It gets soo little light even dappled light seems to be little so hopefully they turn out well and eventually produce fruit, here are the 3 I have currently growing in pots probably gonna continue growing in pots in full sun for the first year

20230309_105807.jpg

20230307_090045.jpg

1 minute ago, Plantking165 said:

Those look pretty good for being in shade this is the area I'm gonna put my 3. It gets soo little light even dappled light seems to be little so hopefully they turn out well and eventually produce fruit, here are the 3 I have currently growing in pots probably gonna continue growing in pots in full sun for the first year

20230309_105807.jpg

20230307_090045.jpg

They would be perfectly happy there.

Jupiter FL

Just now, redant said:

They would be perfectly happy there.

I hope so, ima remove those trees and put them there but thats not what's blocked the light its the big oak over the area

1 minute ago, Plantking165 said:

I hope so, ima remove those trees and put them there but thats not what's blocked the light its the big oak over the area

In Lake wales u want to plant under the oak, frost protection and a better micro climate,  Your biggest issue is not light, it's being in Lake Wales

Jupiter FL

4 minutes ago, redant said:

In Lake wales u want to plant under the oak, frost protection and a better micro climate,  Your biggest issue is not light, it's being in Lake Wales

Yeah 9b isn't quite ideal for them my fiji dwarf and red spicata came through this winter ok in the ground the spicata is in an area where it gets shade and a few hours of sun a day it does well its partly under the oak the fiji is in full sun no protection here is how they look now I just layed down that pine straw a few days ago I still gotta lay it around the fiji dwarf 

20230306_090849.jpg

Screenshot_20230302-161145_Gallery.jpg

35 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

Yeah 9b isn't quite ideal for them my fiji dwarf and red spicata came through this winter ok in the ground the spicata is in an area where it gets shade and a few hours of sun a day it does well its partly under the oak the fiji is in full sun no protection here is how they look now I just layed down that pine straw a few days ago I still gotta lay it around the fiji dwarf 

Good that you put your Fiji Dwarf in full sun...I learned from personal experience in the Keys, they languish in shade. They are a very slow-growing cultivar, so it is quite useless if you want them to develop into anything. After Irma's wrath destroyed the forest that had grown up over my Fiji Dwarf (it survived), it was suddenly in full sun and 'rocketed' (that's very relative for this stubby, slow thing) to finally get a short trunk and even produce a few fruit last year, after 11-12 years in the ground. 

In general, though, it is my own personal experience in the Keys that Cocos wants to sprout and initially develop in moist, dappled/shifting shade, but where it can grow up into the sun rather quickly. To me, those growing in full shade look somewhat miserable when you compare them with the glorious things they become in full tropical sun. And looking at the photos in shade above, I suddenly see the strong association with Lytocaryum.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)