IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dry gravel garden with some shade, any plant suggestions?

teddytn

Been working on a new cactus garden slope. Should be ready to plant in another month, going mostly various types of opuntia. The bottom of the slope is on the north side of a pergola I’m almost complete with, there’s a section right there that will get morning and evening sun, but quite a bit of shade during the day. I’m open to just about anything that will fit in aesthetically, in a rocky dry landscape with cactus. Any suggestions? It’s getting dark I’ll post a pic tomorrow. 

I want to recommend Capparis spinosa, but the plant is not cold hardy. Eschscholzia californica, Hyssopus officinalis, various agastache or wallflowers could work. A sloping dry garden just screams Mediterranean to me. Is the daytime shade dappled or full shade?

@amhas the sun gets higher in the sky the strip with shade will shrink to nothing. The base of the slope is right behind the pergola and directly north of it. 85% or more of the whole slope is full sun all day long. It’s just as you get right next to the pergola there’s some shade for part of the day. The area in question, morning sun, daytime dappled shade, afternoon/ evening sun

2 minutes ago, teddytn said:

@amhas the sun gets higher in the sky the strip with shade will shrink to nothing. The base of the slope is right behind the pergola and directly north of it. 85% or more of the whole slope is full sun all day long. It’s just as you get right next to the pergola there’s some shade for part of the day. The area in question, morning sun, daytime dappled shade, afternoon/ evening sun

Those conditions aren't too bad. Are you looking for large plants, small plants, or both? Fouquieria splendens is an interesting plant, but you are probably too humid. Hardy flowering plants that are native to the Mediterranean or Caspian regions could add some neat color.

• 1 month later...

Here we go…finally lol. The pergola itself has been finished, didn’t want to post a pic with too much still in progress. Ended up going with.

Stonecrop sedum ‘Angelina’ on the left. I have planted this in different areas in the past. Totally hardy here, tolerant of different light sittings, will change its habit a bit and stretch out in a bit of shade. 

Yucca filamentosa ‘color guard’ middle. Also have this planted elsewhere in half day sun. Doesn’t get too big, will definitely take part sun. 

Tricolor sedum right. Almost considered planting 2, not sure it will spread as much to compliment the angelina, we’ll see. All good either way. 4430ACC6-4C13-47B1-873B-217E938379FA.thumb.jpeg.39e007eb232e9636efedc878bb84d021.jpegPergola itself is finished, the block walls are completely filled with rebar and concrete. Still need to top the block with decorative bricks to match the other raised beds around the yard. Then finish the stairs to the left and the garden path going up past that garden. Cover the pergola with clear plastic corrugated panels. And eventually turn that into an outdoor dining area under the pergola. Future planting beds inside the dry stacked stone raised beds as well.401933CE-8E01-4A64-BB1E-F9AF3DCC1FF5.thumb.jpeg.b3da2a2f14ed53ba6d1794081b37517a.jpeg

• Like 1