IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Canary Island & other Date Palms

Banana Belt

Observation:  One of the growth habits of the CIDP is when getting older they tend to have at the lower end of their trunk an exposure of what appears to be roots trying to form.  The older the palm gets the more and higher up the trunk these aborted roots are exposed.

Question:  Why is that?  Are the palms pushing themselves up exposing more roots to the air, or do these roots begin to grow at the bottom of the trunk where leaves once grew?

Theory:  I can think of one theory explaining these exposed aborted roots which would be that date palms grow in desert areas such as North Africa where drifting sand can easily bury the lower trunks of palms in sand.  Could it be that these "air roots" of the CIDP be an heriditary trait of living in the desert where the lower parts are common buried in sand? 

If anyone can explain the reasons why CIDP's and many other date palms when older seem to have a large section at the lower end of trunk of "Roots", please enlight.

• Like 1

Your theory may explain that. But it could be that as it grows, the trunk gets taller, the root system expands, and the original thick roots that were there rise over time and they become exposed, essentially, these roots literally act as a trunk or stem,  they are like little hard thick veins that hold the palm tree up. That's my theory, but yours might be better.

• Like 1

This did happen with my pygmy date palm, and you could see large roots coming out into the ground.

• Like 1

Trachys do the same thing.  Lots of aerial roots show up with age.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Banana Belt said:

If anyone can explain the reasons why CIDP's and many other date palms when older seem to have a large section at the lower end of trunk of "Roots", please enlight.

Those roots are called "adventitious roots" and are a normal product of a palm's growth.  All palm roots originate from the "root initiation zone" at the base of the trunk and some that become exposed to air above the ground will just become inactive and dry.  This happens to most if not all palms and not just date palms.  It's usually due to soil erosion over time so more noticeable on mature palms.  Here is an example on Roystonea regia:

Roystonearegiaadventitiousroots.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

I’ve noticed the exposed ones on the big heals of my potted sabal’s soon dry and just crack off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

"root initiation zone"

Root initiation zone is at the base of the trunk.  Thank you for that explanation.  I have seen large California Fan Palms dug up by trenching around it, then boarded up and strapped before moving.  During lifting, transporting and then replanting I do remember looking at small part at the very bottom of the palm and noticed very few roots, which may have been the earliest roots when the palm was young.  In this respect am I correct to understand that as a palm grows and gets older new roots come from the "initiation zone" and not from older and lower parts of the root ball?

Roots of any plant are very difficult to see as they are always buried in the soil for good reason.  It is easy to observe what is happening to a plant in the exposed parts, but roots are hidden from view and very difficult to judge what is happening.  This is when expert advice and experience comes in handy.  Thank you for your explanation.

Edited by Banana Belt

3 minutes ago, Banana Belt said:

In this respect am I correct to understand that as a palm grows and gets older new roots come from the "initiation zone" and not from older and lower parts of the root ball?

That's correct, all new roots come from the initiation zone at the base of the palm. 

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, RJ said:

I’ve noticed the exposed ones on the big heals of my potted sabal’s soon dry and just crack off. 

How big are they when that happens?  I've yet to experience that with my potted Sabals but I usually put them in the ground as strap-leaf seedlings.  I was going to mention Sabals and some other palms with heels (like some Chrysalidocarpus and Ravenea).  The heels seem to act like a temporary additional root initiation zone.

Jon Sunder

One of my Trachycarpus foruntei did this already at a fairly young state. The correct reason has already been explained here. Very interesting habit of palms.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

How big are they when that happens?  I've yet to experience that with my potted Sabals but I usually put them in the ground as strap-leaf seedlings.  I was going to mention Sabals and some other palms with heels (like some Chrysalidocarpus and Ravenea).  The heels seem to act like a temporary additional root initiation zone.

15g 😂

my biggest are in 25’s 🤦‍♂️.  It definitely takes time. 

• Upvote 1