IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Chamadorea radicalis seeds

DoomsDave

It's long past time.

Shoot me a PM with your mailing address, and I'll mail you some Chamadorea radicalis seeds. No charge.

Don't be afraid to ask again, if you have to, or show love if you got some and they grew!

Spring really really is here, or soon will be!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

DoomsDave is a great person

I have C. Radicalis seedlings growing potted in 7b from his seeds and some will go in the ground eventually very protected and understory under my back porch. Enough indirect light for them. They take high 30’s in my unheated garage when it’s too cold for them outside without much light.

Tough little guys!

Thanks DoomDave!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Right on.

I was just thinking "I need more radicalis" and ordered some seeds off of eBay this morning lol.

Strange coincidences 

There’s plenty of seeds!

Ask and give thine address and ye shall receive…..

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I still have plenty of seeds, I've gotten about 8 - 10 requests so far; I can handle more like 30.

I'll mail overseas, too!

• 2 weeks later...

I read over some of the comments from past years and some people had problems germinating. Here is a study that looks at different germinating temps for several chamadorea species, including radicalis and microspandix;   file:///C:/Users/username/Downloads/perrycollins-183-18620carpenter-3.pdf  according to this study;

C. radicalus likes germinating soil temps around 30C or 86F but will not germinate at days of a constant 35C or 96F. It will germinate at 25C or 77F but not as much germination (OR - maybe just more slowly).

C. microspandix will germinate equally well between 25C and 30C or between 77F and 86F but will not germinate at days of a constant 35C or 96F.

So... I personally won't go higher than 86F on a heating pad. Unless someone with experience says otherwise. Without a thermostat, you can always raise the seeds up higher off the pad on warmer days. Thought I'd put microspandix here also as many people interested in radicalis are probably also interested in microspandix.

"The germination of Chamaedorea seed is more rapid than the germination of most other palm species, but it still required 20 to 40 days to achieve 50% of final germination." YMMV

Edited by Lyn96
tried to fix link
  • Upvote 1

Envelopes mailed today 

EF330F2A-F526-4D62-BD37-AE5E8812A417.thumb.jpeg.9fc66e6d1c330a0f4c77cd1c526991c9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

I had 18 requests; I usually sit till I get 20. 

On 3/24/2023 at 7:08 PM, DoomsDave said:

Envelopes mailed today 

EF330F2A-F526-4D62-BD37-AE5E8812A417.thumb.jpeg.9fc66e6d1c330a0f4c77cd1c526991c9.jpeg

Mine arrived today, thank you so much Dave.

• Upvote 1

Hello @DoomsDave, do you still have any seeds?  Unfortunately, all but 3 of my radicalis seedlings were devoured by rats last month.  I need to start over...  Thank you.

5 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Hello @DoomsDave, do you still have any seeds?  Unfortunately, all but 3 of my radicalis seedlings were devoured by rats last month.  I need to start over...  Thank you.

Send me your address 

• 1 month later...

Were these trunking or non trunking seeds?

I suppose I'll find out in a few years but it would still be nice to know for classification reasons.

Thanks again.

Dave, thanks so much for the seeds. They are just starting to sprout!  Following your instructions, these were one of the easier seeds for me to germinate.   

IMG_5848.jpeg

IMG_5847.jpeg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I just found an old seedling from Dave's 2015 giveaway in a neglected part of the garden. It is busting out of this 4"x4"x8" pot. Gonna give it to my mom. Thanks Dave!

IMG_20240210_164212038.jpg

• Like 2

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I have some that are almost ready . They are still a little orange , once they are red .... they almost fall off on their own. I am sending some to another PalmTalk member this week but have at least 20 more probably next week . Harry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

If. You have any seeds left I would love some, and any suggestions for germinating. I am new to this, and loving everything about it! Thanks! 
Karen Nickerson AKA QueenOfPalms❤️

How would you to like me to contact u with my address to send? Do u need any postage? Ty, Jaren aka Queen of Palm

If you would like a few , I have a few I can send. I just sent some to someone in Texas and with the postage and pkg it came to about $6 . PM me if interested. As far as planting or germinating , I just stick them in the ground and they pop up! Generally bury them about as deep as the diameter of the seed so about a quarter inch total depth and keep them wet. Warmth helps speed things up a bit . Some of mine have just popped up on their own from falling off parent palm. The palm in the middle of the photo, between the C. Mitis and the Pritchardia,  is about 3 years old. I just planted the seed in the ground and it grew! Harry

IMG_3611.jpg

Edited by Harry’s Palms
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 2/10/2024 at 11:31 PM, ZPalms said:

Is there gonna be a next batch 👀

Let me know if you want some . I also have C. Microspadix. I already have many babies from both so …. Harry

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 3:46 AM, Harry’s Palms said:

Let me know if you want some . I also have C. Microspadix. I already have many babies from both so …. Harry

Are the radicalis tree form or the shrub form? and I'd be interested in Microspadix also!

Edited by ZPalms

I have tree form Chamaedorea Radicalis and C. Microspadix. I just harvested the seeds yesterday and sending out Monday. I have two packages to send out , I think I have a few of each I could send you . P  M if you want any . It will be a while for the next batch  as there are plenty of inflorescence but some are just starting to form seeds. Harry

• 1 month later...